What type of cooking oil do you use?

Shermie

Site Supporter
As of late, I've been using canola oil.

It is cholesterol-free and has no transfats. It is also heart healthy. :cooking:

Leni

I don't care for the taste of it. I usually use peanut oil because of it's high flash point.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I don't care for the taste of it. I usually use peanut oil because of it's high flash point.

Peanut oil is just too bloody expensive!

Soybean oil also has a high flash level and it is much cheaper than peanut oil. :chef:

Johnny West

It depends on what I'm cooking but use canola oil mostly, then peanut, and olive oil. I used to like safflower oil but not sure it's made anymore. Googled it and it is but not in large quantities.

Moxie

It depends on what I'm cooking and how I'm cooking it. For most purposes I use olive oil. For Asian food or deep frying, I reach for the peanut oil. Sometimes I use corn, walnut, coconut, or grapeseed oils. For finishing, I keep on hand sesame, truffle, and argan oils.

Like Leni, I don't care for the taste of canola oil - it can make some dishes taste 'fishy'.

The size of my oil collection is only exceeded by the size of my vinegar collection.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use canola and evoo. Never noticed an off-taste of canola.

I hope the power of suggestion doesn't get me on this - I'm very susceptible to suggestion!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I had been using mostly EVOO with sometimes canola. I think I'm off to peanut oil after reading this.

Guts

If I'm making a salad dressing I will use a vegetable oil. If I'm going to fry I will use whichever oil is cheapest at the time, but I preferred to fry in lard. I used to use olive oil but I wasn't crazy about the olive oil flavor, I now use grape-seed oil. It's better for you as a higher flashpoint and tastes a lot better. If you haven't tried grape seed-oil give it a try please

Saliha

I use mostly rapeseed oil but for salads, with lamb, the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern foods usually olive oil.

When I fry fish, I usually use butter, not oil. Not so health but the taste...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I use mostly rapeseed oil but for salads, with lamb, the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern foods usually olive oil.

When I fry fish, I usually use butter, not oil. Not so health but the taste...

I pan fry fish in butter too sometimes, Saliha.
Especially tilapia fillets.

Leni

Rape seed is canola oil. I also use olive oil and bacon drippings depending on what I am cooking. Fry potatoes and onions in bacon and sausage drippings. It gives them a great flavor. Must be my German heritage but I never throw bacon drippings away.

Johnny West

I loved the German restaurants where tubs of bacon grease were on the table instead of butter.

When Peter did his Euro tour the Polish restaurants did the same and he said it was to die for. He gave up being a vegetarian for that trip. LOL !

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I loved the German restaurants where tubs of bacon grease were on the table instead of butter.

When Peter did his Euro tour the Polish restaurants did the same and he said it was to die for. He gave up being a vegetarian for that trip. LOL !

I love bacon, and I'll fry an egg in bacon grease. Just the thought of smearing congealed bacon grease on bread turns my stomach. That's right up there with people eating a spoonful of Crisco :(.

The oil I use depends on what I'm cooking. I keep vegetable, peanut, and olive oils on hand, but no fancy oils.

Johnny West

I know, Cooksie, I couldn't do it.

When the kids from Eastern Euro would come for Little League tournaments they'd eat the bacon raw and would never ask first.

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have canola, coconut, peanut, grape seed, toasted sesame, chili sesame and EVOO for cooking. And flax seed for salads.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
hmmmmmm. I used to keep
Wesson
corn
peanut
safflower
canola
olive oil
on hand.

and fret and fidget over which I should use / is best for xyz.

then DW tested borderline for cholesterol - dumped the whole lot for plain ole olive oil - not evoo (that I have a small bottle, for salad drizzles...) -

I fry / saute / whatever with it.

the only remaining exception is deep frying - I still use peanut oil as it's always a 'use&toss' situation and olive oil is too expensive for that.