Steak & Ale Burgundy Mushrooms

Cooksie

Site Supporter
These come out just like the mushrooms that Steak & Ale used to serve. They're great with a steak marinated in this:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=303555&postcount=6

1 lb mushrooms
2 qts water
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 T butter
3/4 cup yellow onions, diced
1/2 cup Burgundy wine
1 T beef bouillon granules
1/4 t garlic powder
1/3 t ground white pepper

Clean and dry mushrooms. Leave the small ones whole and chop the others into halves or quarters, depending on their size.

Bring the 2 qts water and the lemon juice to a boil. Add mushrooms to lemon water, bring back to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes. Drain well and set to the side.

Saute the onions until translucent in the 4 T butter. Add the wine, bouillon, garlic powder, and ground white pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Place the mushrooms in a refrigerator container and pour the sauce over the top, stirring to combine. Mushrooms will be ready to re-heat and eat the next day.

My preference is to serve these on the side in their own little bowl just like Steak & Ale used to do.

Note: I used Better Than Bouillon instead of the granules, and not quite 1 T because I think the BTB is saltier than the granules.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Printed out to make!

Cooksie, what do you think about thinly slicing the onions instead of dicing?

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm sure that would be ok. I chopped them because that's what I remember from Steak & Ale. Give it a try and tell me what you think. It's been a long time since I've eaten them at Steak & Ale as they closed down, but they tasted exactly as I remembered.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made these and put them in a glass jar in the fridge, intending to save them and use them over a steak. Wow, they smelled great while I was cooking them!

But I had all the stuff to make a spinach salad, except for mushrooms, so I heated some of these up and put them on my salad.

DELICIOUS! I added sliced onions to the mushrooms and jarred them along with the mushrooms.

Lee

P.S. Shoulda had a few croutons.
Spinach salad with Steak and Ale mushrooms.JPG

Last edited: