Do we really believe that plastic causes cancer?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
DS is sort of on a vendetta; it's a shame because plastic doesn't break like glass does.

I guess I'll be getting a new glass pitcher and some new drinking glasses; he's pretty adamant that plastic is not good for us.

What do you do? Plastic plates? Tupperware?

Thanks.

Leni

Most of my things are glass or ceramic except for storage which is mostly plastic. I have a few plastic glasses but that's it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sorry, but I just don't buy the theory that plastic causes cancer.

Most plastic items that come in direct contact with food, is being made without the supposedly cancer-causing BPA ingredients. I never believed it in the first place! :piesmiley1::eating2: :ohmy:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
That is jusr like the time when non-stick-coated cookware had an ingredient that supposedly caused cancer in the manufacturing of the coating.

I've sine gotten rid of all non-stick-coated cookware except for a few pieces, but now, I don't believe that there ever was such a thing!! :neutral:

Leni

I have only one nonstick skillet and that is because the coating started to come off the pots and pans. I've replaced them with cast iron skillets and Calfalon pots. Nonstick just does not brown the way I wanted it to. Cast iron does a great job of that.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
methinks there is a place in the kitchen for a PTFE aka Teflon pan. it really is "the best" as what it does.

I buy the inexpensive $10, 10 inch pans. they do not live forever in non-stick mode. it is not in my nature to buy a $100 non-stick pan that has to be tossed after 18 months.

I am a major disser as to Calphalon - had some, in time it too went from sorta' non-stick to super-stick and regardless of the posts about how good their warranty is - the Calphalon people refused to even acknowledge my email inquires.

the non-stick stuff is really not a good tool for browning at anything past low heat. in my experience anything more than low heat degrades the non-stick - whether it's PTFE or Calphalon or similar compounds.

chilefarmer

Cast iron and wood bowls, your set for life. Wood spoons are good to. I am also a believer in clay pots and bowls. Just make sure you know your supplier, must be lead free. Not even sure about that. How much food would one have to consume to get lead poisoning from a clay pot? I don't know that. The ones I use are lead free. CF

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have only one nonstick skillet and that is because the coating started to come off the pots and pans. I've replaced them with cast iron skillets and Calfalon pots. Nonstick just does not brown the way I wanted it to. Cast iron does a great job of that.

There was once even a so-called theory out years ago, suggesting that cast iron skillets & pots were dangerous, because supposedly, an ingredient used in the manufacturing process was a cancer-causing problem.

Who is the brainchild that sits behind that big desk in Washington, DC and thinks of all those unproven theories?!!!! :ohmy: :piesmiley1: :eating2:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Sherm
- you may not be old enough to remember all this kind of stuff -

the aluminum=Alzheimers came from a mid-1950's study.

DuPont touted Teflon as a safe alternative to killing yourself with aluminum.

what goes around comes around, now ceramics are pushing the same argument against both aluminum and PTFE.

you will find internet bloggers adamantly insisting cast iron will kill you, stainless steel leaches chromium and nickel and will kill you, anything made of clay contains so much lead you won't survive another week, glass stuff leaches fluorine, bromine and boron and that'll kill you faster than lead.

which all brings up the uncomfortable question: how did the human race survive this long?

if you want a giggle, research how much iron is leached into food "per portion" and then look up how much iron is in a One-A-Day with Iron vitamin pill.....

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i was told i'd die if i ingested unwashed fruit & vegggies. i have yet to wash 'em. i'm here, yet.
i was told i'd get lead poisoning if i drank tap h2o. i drank that fer 'bout 35 years.
i'm here.
i was told to not sniff glue. so i sniffed 'glue to see why i shouldn't when i was 7.
i'm here, yet.
i was told that pencils cause toxicity. i use pencils.
i'm here.
i was told that if i refused to ingest my food, i would pay.
i have yet to give 'em a cent.
i was told that if i watched too much television, i would be blind by 12.
i'm near 35, & i'm not yet blind.
i was told that if i look too closely at television, i'll be blind by 20.
i'm in my mid-30's. i'm not blind.
i was told that if i talk on that phone, i'll be deaf.
i'm not deaf.
i was told if i would not ingest my veggies, my hair wouldn't turn curly. then
my hair turned curly when i was a grown woman.
same fer blonde hair. later, though, my hair turned black. wtf.

Last edited:
K

Kimchee

There are some studies indicating it might be linked to breast cancer, but nothing definitive yet, that I have found.
And some studies indicating it might be detrimental to normal development in children, but again, nothing definitive yet.
Bottom line, my wife, who is a molecular biologist, isn't worried. So I'm not worried.
Of course, being an adult male might have something to do with that. ;)
It definitely needs more research.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The great majority of those bogus theories that we've all heard about and have been told since we were grown up as children, have all been debunked.

I still have yet to hear of any of those things being true, except that we'll get cancer from eating too much red meat ( and even THAT still has yet to be proven).

It IS true that one can get cancer over time from exposure to asbestos, which was once thought to be used in the manufacture of hair dryers in the mid to late '70s.

PVCs which was also thought to be a cancer-causing source, was supposedly used in the manufacturing of electric motors in major appliances. Nicotine definitely causes cancer in smoking cigarettes.

Consuming smoked meats were also thought to be a cause of cancer.

I tell you, other than being exposed to asbestos & cigarette smoking, those bogus theories about food and the things in the kitchen that come in direct contact with them, have been debunked. :WitchBrewsSmiley:

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Well, plastic doesn't last forever and our cups need replacing anyway, so right now it just means getting some new glasses which I was lucky enough to find for like a dollar each.

Our measuring stuff for baking also doesn't get clean anymore so, coupons in hand, I hit Bed Bath and Beyond for new tsp and cup measures.

And the water pitcher in the fridge looks worse every time I was it, so it's due to be replaced anyway.

Maybe I'm doomed because I used a hair dryer a LOT in the 70's. But thanks all!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
oh dear, Sherm - it's a full time job keeping you inside the lines.... (g)

it's the PCB in electric equipment that was the problem.

it's not the nicotine that's the issue with smoking - it's the tars and other combustion by-products.

asbestos was used in billions and billions of products - electrical insulation, house siding, floor tiles, ceiling tiles, paints, heat insulation, the list is near endless.

BPA is the current "plastics bad guy" - it's a 'plasticizer' additive. currently implicated in everything from cancer to bad breath. and it's only used in specific applications; it is not used in every plastic thing made.

Shermie

Site Supporter

it's the PCB in electric equipment that was the problem.

it's not the nicotine that's the issue with smoking - it's the tars and other combustion by-products.

asbestos was used in billions and billions of products - electrical insulation, house siding, floor tiles, ceiling tiles, paints, heat insulation, the list is near endless.

BPA is the current "plastics bad guy" - it's a 'plasticizer' additive. currently implicated in everything from cancer to bad breath. and it's only used in specific applications; it is not used in every plastic thing made.

Nicotine is said to be a poison contained in the leaves of tobacco.

When the twin towers of the World Trade Center fell, the ceiling panels, along with other things had created cancer-causing illnesses to which many died from. The adjacent Deuchie Bank Building had to be sealed before it was dismantled because it contained asbestos, mold & mildew.

Moxie

:mrgreen: :wow:

Getting your information for unarmed sources on the internet can be dangerous.

"If you tell a big lie and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." - Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's Minister of Propaganda.

Priyanka Jain

There is a lot of debate surrounding the topic of plastic and cancer, with many people believing it does cause cancer. However, this has not been definitively proven. Some research indicates that there may be a link between plastic exposure and an increased risk of developing some types of cancers. However, the jury is still out on whether or not over-the-counter plastics are responsible for causing these diseases. Some studies have even suggested that all forms of plastic might be carcinogenic in some way or another. So while we cannot say for sure whether or not they cause cancer, it's best to err on the side of caution and avoid them wherever possible!