Home Remedy for Acid Reflux

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've done some reading, and a lot of people have had success with drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with water to relieve acid reflux. Has anyone tried this? If so, did you use regular apple cider vinegar or the natural type? It doesn't sound like it would work, but....?

I've read the same about drinking pickle juice.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks you two! I thought the adding acid to an already acidic stomach was weird too. I don't like the otc stuff that's out there, so I think I'm going to try it. I'll let you know what happens.

phreak

When I get heartburn (not often) I take a good swig of dill pickle juice. Amazingly it works immediately.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks phreak and Sass :flowers:. It's good to know that the pickle juice does work for some. I couldn't choke down that apple cider vinegar, but I know I can drink pickle juice. Luckily, the problem went away.....keeping fingers crossed.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. I never heard of either of those solutions. Dill pickle juice sure does sound doable than drinking apple cider vinegar . I don't have heartburn very often but when I do I have been taking a couple tums and they do the trick.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Don't worry about it being vinegar, for real, just some slice raw apple is enough to keep your tummy Angeline, while neutralizing the hydrochloric acid that's in there. True story.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks Doc and UR! I can do raw apple easy....smeared with a little peanut butter :mrgreen:.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ever since my stomach problems, related to past issues with my gall bladder and the removal thereof, I sometimes have a lot of stomach acid problems.. still.
I'd rather take something natural to combat the burn, rather than a drug.
A gulp of saved pickle juice does the trick.

That said.. beer is no longer allowed.. I can and do drink hard ciders.
The acid content doesn't bother me in the least.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Ever since my stomach problems, related to past issues with my gall bladder and the removal thereof, I sometimes have a lot of stomach acid problems.. still.
I'd rather take something natural to combat the burn, rather than a drug.
A gulp of saved pickle juice does the trick.

That said.. beer is no longer allowed.. I can and do drink hard ciders.
The acid content doesn't bother me in the least.

I agree on the natural instead of a drug. Some of that otc stuff scares me. There's one that starts with a Z (forgot the name), and it relieves symptoms by stopping your stomach from producing so much acid.....too scary for me.

I drink apple cider vinegar daily. Really havent had stomach problems since.

When I tried it and gagged, I was mixing 3 T to 6 ozs of water. After reading more, I discovered it's supposed to be 3 t to 6 ozs of water. It's on my to-do list to go the health food store and get some Bragg's Natural Apple Cider Vinegar.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I agree on the natural instead of a drug. Some of that otc stuff scares me. There's one that starts with a Z (forgot the name), and it relieves symptoms by stopping your stomach from producing so much acid.....too scary for me.

Zantac
.. and while it relieves the acid, it can constipate you (or send you the other way).

Best to stick with natural and see if it works.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Also, it's worth noting that all of the OTC stuff, even though sold in packs of 30 or 60, it says, "if you are experiencing symptoms longer than 2 weeks, see your doctor".

If it is an ongoing issue, it IS worth having the lil camera down the ol pipe, and seeing if there is a more serious underlying condition, just to be safe.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
a scope ain't so bad. npo, ( can't have food/h2o after 12, usually) then they'll twilight you, (a form of sedation that leaves u awake, yet not remember the vast majority of the procedure)- then u recover quickly. i've gotten them from all sections of me- they put an actual camera in fer a few days. u won't remem. any of it, generally.

Last edited:

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Yes, apple cider works as well as the pickle juice. Kosher Dill works best for me. Pickle juice also helps with muscle cramps and stomach aches/cramps.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, apple cider works as well as the pickle juice. Kosher Dill works best for me. Pickle juice also helps with muscle cramps and stomach aches/cramps.

tg, yes~ pickle juice rocks. here, & i'm sure elsewhere, u take pickle shots (a shot of pickle juice, a shot of vodka). i must say, they're both effective & delicious. & u can skip the vodka, of course, as i tend to.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
When I tried it and gagged, I was mixing 3 T to 6 ozs of water. After reading more, I discovered it's supposed to be 3 t to 6 ozs of water. It's on my to-do list to go the health food store and get some Bragg's Natural Apple Cider Vinegar.

I drink Braggs too :)