Review- Three monkeys Bistro- Phila. Pa.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
THE THREE MONKEYS
The bistro was smaller than I imagined it, but there was enough room between the tables, and the service was excellent.

I had the Cheese-Steak soup; it was exactly that- little pieces of Filet Mignon in a cheese-whiz soup. very nice
The warden had the Baked French Onion soup and it also was well done, except perhaps it was left under the broiler a moment or two too long for the cheese; was a little too crispy around the edge.
We shared a helping of the fried Calamari ("Calamonkey") and it was done perfectly. Most places over-cook their deep-fried seafood; these were a light golden brown and not like the rubbery stuff you usually get 'round here.

I had the Wasabi Crab cakes- they were excellent ! Mostly CRAB for a change, not breading. and the side of fries could have fed four adults ! Big fat tender / crisp steak fries, with two different dippers; a ketchup-y sauce and a cheesy one.
Thw Warden tried the seafood Risotto- This was very tasty, but was light on the "Seafood"....just three scallops and two large shrimp, although it was obvious there were small bits of both in the sauce.

The iced tea was obvoiusly fresh-brewed and reminded me of the "Sweet Tea" of my youth.

The salads were HUGE; made with field greens rather than the more common "American Blend".
We skipped dessert, as you may imagine.

Tab was under $50 before the tip .
http://www.3monkeyscafe.com/