Cream of Tartar

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
:sorry: I'm not exactly sure where to put this but can anyone tell me what cream of tartar is and why it's needed in the recipe for Snickerdoodle's? Can I make them without using it?

Calicolady

This said it better than I:

Cream of tartar is best known in our kitchens for helping stabilize and give more volume to beaten egg whites. It is the acidic ingredient in some brands of baking powder. It is also used to produce a creamier texture in sugary desserts such as candy and frosting, because it inhibits the formation of crystals. It is used commercially in some soft drinks, candies, bakery products, gelatin desserts, and photography products. Cream of tartar can also be used to clean brass and copper cookware.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
This said it better than I:

Cream of tartar is best known in our kitchens for helping stabilize and give more volume to beaten egg whites. It is the acidic ingredient in some brands of baking powder. It is also used to produce a creamier texture in sugary desserts such as candy and frosting, because it inhibits the formation of crystals. It is used commercially in some soft drinks, candies, bakery products, gelatin desserts, and photography products. Cream of tartar can also be used to clean brass and copper cookware.

Hmmmm, kinda makes me not want to eat it if you can clean with it :whistling: Thanks for the info!

Calicolady

Why, you can clean with lemons and baking soda and vinegar and all sorts of stuff. And put eggs in your hair and beer and....

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
For cookies it is usually used together with baking soda. The two of them combined work like double-acting baking powder. If you want to substitute for cream of tartar, you need to also substitute for the baking soda. If your recipe calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.

One teaspoon baking powder = 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar. It will change the texture and to some degree the taste of the cookies though.

FryBoy

Actually, it's a byproduct of the fermentation of grapes into wine. Crystals of a tartaric acid salt, a.k.a. potassium bitartrate or cream of tartar, are often found covering the ends of corks when they're pulled from wine bottles, like this:

spaceball.gif
spaceball.gif

Attachments

• Tartaric Acid Crystals.jpg
    Tartaric Acid Crystals.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Actually, it's a byproduct of the fermentation of grapes into wine. Crystals of a tartaric acid salt, a.k.a. potassium bitartrate or cream of tartar, are often found covering the ends of corks when they're pulled from wine bottles.

Well, there you go. Just start opening up bottles of wine and drinking them until you can scrape enough cream of tatar from the corks to get what you need. Of course, by that time you may not care about the cookies anymore....:huh:

Calicolady

I just read that about the wine too. I never knew or thought about it til asked today. Thanks, Fryboy.

Last edited:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Well, there you go. Just start opening up bottles of wine and drinking them until you can scrape enough cream of tatar from the corks to get what you need. Of course, by that time you may not care about the cookies anymore....:huh:

How about both cookies and wine! :clap: