Herb(s) to go with wax beans?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't been able to find yellow (wax) beans in the supermarket for years, so I grow my own.

Just harvested the first crop from my two pots of beans, and want to steam them, maybe toss with butter or olive oil and add some sort of herb.

I have parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, marjoram, oregano .... and stevia, mint, and cilantro but I don't want any of the last three in my beans.

Which of the others do you think would go well with steamed beans?

Lee

Attachments

• Wax beans, first harvest.JPG
    Wax beans, first harvest.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 768

GotGarlic

Nice harvest :smile: I would use parsley, thyme, basil, and/or oregano, depending on the main dish. I often use the same herb in a side that I used in the main, plus parsley. For me, the woody herbs sage and rosemary might overpower the beans' flavor.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geez, Leni, you picked an herb I don't have!! LOL!

GG, I think you're right about the strong herbs, so they're out.

Oh, I also have dill.

The main dish is baked stuffed haddock with butter-Ritz cracker stuffing.

Lee

homecook

I agree with the basil and oregano. I would also be inclined to use marjoram.

Lucky you!! I can't find the yellow wax beans either. I couldn't even find the seeds to plant any. I miss having them. But at least my green beans are almost ready to harvest.....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Remind me next year, Barb, and I will send you a seed packet or two.

Lee

Leni

Just order a Burpee cataloge. They have different varieties of yellow wax beans in it along with varieties of other veggies that are hard to find. As a matter of fact you can order on line. I'm still planting them in succession.

Summer Savory has a lemony flavor. You ought to try it.

homecook

Just order a Burpee cataloge. They have different varieties of yellow wax beans in it along with varieties of other veggies that are hard to find. As a matter of fact you can order on line. I'm still planting them in succession.

Summer Savory has a lemony flavor. You ought to try it.

Thanks Leni. I do get the Burpee catalog among others. lol The shipping costs don't make it worthwhile for a packet of seeds. I don't have any luck with planting other seeds except a few and I can just get the ones I use locally so there is no sense in my ordering them.....:flowers:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, everybody!

I went with thyme and marjoram. And a little butter, S & P. Delicious!

Along with baked stuffed haddock and tomato, basil, feta salad.

Lee

Attachments

• Baked stuffed haddock  dinner.JPG
    Baked stuffed haddock dinner.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 738

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, everybody!

I went with thyme and marjoram. And a little butter, S & P. Delicious!

Along with baked stuffed haddock and tomato, basil, feta salad.

Lee

That looks amazing Lee! Awesome job!!! If I can ever get my hands on those beans, I'll try this! Thanks!

I know I'm too late for this 1st wax bean harvest dinner, but since you'll inevitably have more, my hands-down "go-to" herb for snap beans - green or wax - is Marjoram, dried or chopped fresh.

homecook

Lee, that whole dinner looks delicious! I'll have to try both the thyme and marjoram together next time I find wax beans. I may even try it with the green beans... Very nice!:thumb: