I need a main dish suggestion

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
The church group is coming over Saturday night. Usually a meal of some kind is served. Often I have made a nice big pot of Chili and some crusty bread. It usually works well. In the summer, I would do some BBQ. Well, here it is winter and last month the host made chili.

Lasagna crossed my mind, I could still do the crusty bread with it, or, garlic bread. I briefly thought of beef stew, not sure it would work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

WHITCHY

Chuck roast w/potatoes and carrots with gravy all in one pot.
crusty bread for dippin.... will feed all and you can put it in the crock pot in the morning and have for dinner later that night.. Low and Slow one of my favorites!!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My Version Of Sub Gum Chicken Chow Mein (click for recipe)

Sub gum chicken chow mein and jasmine rice.

123110_sub_gum_chow_mein.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'd vote for the lasagne. All the work can be done the day before. Since it's better after it sits up a while, you can bake it off earlier and not have any last minutes kitchen work when everyone arrives. With your crusty bread, it sounds perfect!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'd vote for the lasagne. All the work can be done the day before. Since it's better after it sits up a while, you can bake it off earlier and not have any last minutes kitchen work when everyone arrives. With your crusty bread, it sounds perfect!
I agree SS on the prep ahead ease and yumminess of lasagna.

So many people are carb conscience lately and being right after the holidays and all the wonderful goodies many people are looking at the scale. LOL I thought a meal heavy on veggies & protein, light on carbs would appeal.

This cooks very quick.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am leaning toward the Lasagna or Ziti. It would give me a chance to try my homemade Italian sweet sausage. The chuck roast had already floated through what passes for my mind too. LOL

Thank all of you for the suggestions so far I will keep watching. Since it's tomorrow, I have to shop tonight and make it, whatever it is, in the morning.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Lasagna gets my vote with homemade Italian garlic bread and a nice side salad...YUM!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, take a look at the Casseroles sub-forum: there are lots of spectacular-looking recipes in there!

Being a Bostonian, I am always wanting hot dogs and beans on Saturday nights. Lucky has a bunch of beans and frank casserole recipes that look great to me!

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
This time of year...I think comfort foods...

Slow roasted chickens, wild rice with dried fruit and nuts, brusssels sprouts.

Apple pie and layer cake for desssert. It's winter...

Leni

How about spaghetti? It is better the next day and all of it can be done the day before. Just run hot water over the noodles to warm them up. You can use your sausage in the sauce. Crusty bread or garlic bread will go nicely with that.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
is there a vegetarian amongst your group~
if so, lasagne, as yins could have 2 (veggie, & a meat/cheese)

if they're carnivores,
i would make a thick, hearty beef stew or chix/dumplings

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
This time of year...I think comfort foods...

Slow roasted chickens, wild rice with dried fruit and nuts, brusssels sprouts.

Apple pie and layer cake for desssert. It's winter...

Agreed, and all the prep, like in doing a lasagna, can be done the day prior. Just throw the bird in and let it go. Nothing makes the house smell finer on a cold day then a roast animal in the oven, lol.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
you could make lazy mans lasagna or ravioli lasagna...saves alot of prep time...you can mix up the flavors of the raviolis and meats.

same flavors as lasagna,less work and something different.

ebay%2B003.jpg

When I saw this recipe I was immediately impressed by its simplicity. Since I make my own ravioli from scratch, I would use those to make this dish. I might make this on Sunday when we're going to have a small crowd here, and use my freshly bottled sauce.

Being Catholic, we always like to feed crowds spaghetti because it's simple, filling and is cost effective. It seems everyone from kids to grandparents like spaghetti. If you make your own spaghetti with a pasta machine, and your own sauce, you have a very special spaghetti dinner that anyone would enjoy. A tossed salad with Italian dressing would go nicely. Obviously your homemade crusty bread and the sauce could be a meal all by itself (at least for some of us. LOL)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bam, your lazy lasagna was the first one I looked at in the casseroles forum.

SPECTACULAR!!!

Lee

loboloco

there is a pretzel fried chicken recipe on here somewhere. It is a little aggaravating to prepare, but OMG is it good.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Well here we go, I decided on lasagna. Neo.g me there is a twist. I made homemade sweet sausage tonight. I will use that instead of beef. joeV inspired me. I will start a pot of sauce in the AM. Can anyone help me out with a recipe for lasagna noodles? I have a pasta maker and semolina four.

The part I forgot is that we have some pretty good cooks. They all like to show off.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
We'll see SS. From you, I take that as a compliment.

The homemade sweet sausage has been rated "epic".I tend not to write down recipes, I have been told to write this one down.

So far the Marinara has been rated Meh. Tastes good, too tangy. I refuse to put sugar of any kind in. I put in a couple potatoes to mellow it. It had only simered an hour at that point. I generally simmer several hours.

I found Vera's Pasta recipe, I have never tried this before, I am hopeful for success. Here. I do bake bread, but, I think the "feel" si different and I really do not know what I am looking for here.

GG Has a great Lasagna here. I think thast I will shoot for something like this. A simple salad and garlic bread.

Hope to ring the bell. We rotate the families in the sub group every two years. Last go around I was outclassed especially at Italian. Great food and great company though, every time. I think I can pull this one off.

Anybody see any missteps, let me know.

High Cheese

Saucier
I know it's too late but, I would do anything roasted. I've been buying 8-10 pound pork shoulders and popping them in a 245* oven for 5-6 hours. One would definitely feed that group of 8. Just make a side or toss some veg with dried herbs and roast those just before guests arrive. When the pork reaches 180-185 I hit it with 450 degrees until the skin is crusty, then serve some skin with the pork. I keep seasoning simple only using bulk sazon and black pepper.

Leftovers make great tacos or BBQ samiches.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Well, the home made pasta went down the drain. Liam stole all of it off the counter and ate it.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have to laugh too. The last time he did this it was two loaves of sourdough on the second rise. Of course, they kept right on rising in his belly. He was laying on the floor like the old Pepto Bismol commercial. "I can't believe I ate the WHOLE thing."

At least I got some satisfaction out of that one. He has had 3 vet visits, one of them major surgery for things that he ate.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Well, dinner has come and gone. Thr lasagna was a great hit. Here is a pix of the pasta (just before Liam stole it, and the lasagna.

Thank you to everyone for the help.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0524.jpg
    tn_IMG_0524.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 121
  • tn_IMG_0525.jpg
    tn_IMG_0525.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 118

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I really can't stay mad at him.

Attachments