Saturday.."Labor Day weekend"..09/3/2011

Embryodad

Well... Mommy went to the movie house to see Debt.

The potato salad is on the agenda today, and that will be it for whenever the word "BBQ" comes into play.

Maybe it will be , one day hot dogs, and one day hamburgers...and whtever it is for the Labor Day itself.

I'm still picking up sticks (twigs) on the lawn. Gee..Maybe I could cook them. Something that will "Stick" to the ribs. LOL...

I guess everyone is off to a mini vacation celebration spot, but this old people folk, are just gonna hunker down and make the best of it.
I hope they have the telethon on tv for m d like they did with Jerry Lewis. He is the greatest, but I think he retired from doing that.

OK... happy labor Day for all out there...:picnic::eating2::clap:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Well this is my weekend to work Jimmy, but I do have Monday and Tuesday off.
There are some plans for a cook out with family on Monday afternoon (cooler weather! yay! lol)
Yup, Jerry Lewis has retired from hosting the telethon, but it's going to go on.

Embryodad

Well this is my weekend to work Jimmy, but I do have Monday and Tuesday off.
There are some plans for a cook out with family on Monday afternoon (cooler weather! yay! lol)
Yup, Jerry Lewis has retired from hosting the telethon, but it's going to go on.
Oh! Great...Thanks for the heads up on the Telethon.
The Telethon has been a Labor Day Must See for years in our family.

Glad for the cooler weather..Have a great weekend, and I hope work time goes by fast for you. Enjoy the Mon and Tues...and the Monday Cookout.

BTW... I love the calling a BBQ or Grilling event a "Cookout"
Growing up in Pennsylvania, we only knew it as " A Charcoal Grill, and a Cookout or if it was at the Lake...A "Picnic".

Gosh..they were the times when dad would clean out the plumbing truck, and load the coolers with food and ice..and of coarse beer and wine, and Mom would cook on a wood fire with a steel plate on top. I really mean..cook. Nothing was prepped at home either. We kids would be swimming at the lake while she cooked, and dad relaxed in a wood chaise lounge drinking beer and smoking his pipe. then we would come out of the water to eat..and Mom would make us sit for 2 hours before we could go into the water again. She said we would get stomach cramps, and drown. LOL...
I think sometimes she wished we did. hahahahahahahaha... Poor Mom!

9/3/11 - Saturday - What's on the Menu?

I'm off to the market, with list in hand. Going to check out the lobster tails, scallops, ribs, & strawberries (for white wine/strawberry sangria) etc.

What do you have planned?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My daughter requested Olive Garden because she starts school tuesday.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Made a big pot of tortilla soup last night, so tonight will be an instant replay of that.

Phiddlechik

I was going to make some asian pear tarts for a pot-luck at the end of last week, didn't make it. So.... I am making them today. With a cheater puff pastry using rolled up pre-made dough and 3/4 stick of butter. Have mini tarts in the oven with the poached pears, camembert, thyme, walnuts, syrup from pears...

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I merged the 2 dinner threads. The forum software put them in the order in which they were posted.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm making some country style ribs in the pressure cooker. I'll finish them off on the grill. Baked potatoes and salad as the sides.

Phiddlechik

Here they are: bathed in the poaching liquid reduced to a syrup...

Attachments

• DSCN8913.jpg
    DSCN8913.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 141

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Phiddlechick,the tarts look beautiful!

We're all caught up in tropical storm Lee....lots of rain, some wind, but not much else to worry about at this time.. And we have two days off!!! So, it's a nice dinner tonight!

I bought 1792 bourbon for our cocktail tonight....neat, with a drop of water.

First course is stuffed acorn squash finished with truffle oil

Entree is rabbit ragu with fresh fettucine ( I wanted pappardelle, but unless I make it myself, it's hard to find down here)

I'm pretty sure we're drinking a zin tonight, but not positive

I took two slices of the praline apple pecan cake from the restaurant.

We'll be watching the storm, listening to jazz, and eating well.

Embryodad

Phiddlechick,the tarts look beautiful!

We're all caught up in tropical storm Lee....lots of rain, some wind, but not much else to worry about at this time.. And we have two days off!!! So, it's a nice dinner tonight!

I bought 1792 bourbon for our cocktail tonight....neat, with a drop of water.

First course is stuffed acorn squash finished with truffle oil

Entree is rabbit ragu with fresh fettucine ( I wanted pappardelle, but unless I make it myself, it's hard to find down here)

I'm pretty sure we're drinking a zin tonight, but not positive

I took two slices of the praline apple pecan cake from the restaurant.

We'll be watching the storm, listening to jazz, and eating well.

Stay safe, and enjoy the days off VeraBlue...

Thanks! Here's how I did it: (scroll down for the cheater dough)
http://2owl.blogspot.com/

Cheater dough or Not....That looks too good to eat and go away Pchik.

Embryodad

Jimmy,..... just ready to devour his steak that Mommy bought him. :readytoeat:
She can't eat steak, but she took a pea sized piece for the taste...

I ate a big hunk of bread and butter with it, and some hot peppers...

Had ( *ahem ) ...three (3) Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts for dessert. I think they were the low calorie ones, because there wasn't that much sugar glaze on the bottom. yeah! Right!..LOL

cd6fb33e.jpg

Embryodad

Olive Garden isn't my favorite place but my girl was happy.

I do not belive what you just said peep....

I DO NOT like Olive Garden myself.:sorry: I ate there twice, and did not feel as if I was eating Italian food. It was more like at a Fake Italian food contest, eating in the Cambells Soup Factory Cafeteria, in Camden New Jersey... hahahahaha

I did eat once at a Macaroni Grill, and I mean that was three years ago, and I enjoyed it. I had cappellini with wilted arugala with a wine sauce.
The bread, was the Good that made the meal too. :smile:

mhend

Phiddlechik, that tart looks amazing!

I had the night to myself so I made a meal inspired from a recipe that I saw John Besh prepare on his T.V. show on PBS. He is just the best!! I changed the seasonings on the fish just a bit. He used redfish and grilled it. Publix only had catfish, salmon or tilapia - no redfish whatsoever, so I went with frozen grouper. I would've preferred fresh, but I'm not crazy about catfish or tilapia so the grouper wasn't bad. The fish is seasoned with salt, white pepper, and a little thyme and pan seared in a little olive oil.

The warm corn salad had fresh yellow corn, grated ginger, scallions, garlic, red pepper flakes, a dash of sugar, rice wine vinegar and tomatoes. It was really delicious! This will definately go into rotation. It's so easy to make too...good for busy weeknight meals.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 119

Embryodad

Phiddlechik, that tart looks amazing!

I had the night to myself so I made a meal inspired from a recipe that I saw John Besh prepare on his T.V. show on PBS. He is just the best!! I changed the seasonings on the fish just a bit. He used redfish and grilled it. Publix only had catfish, salmon or tilapia - no redfish whatsoever, so I went with frozen grouper. I would've preferred fresh, but I'm not crazy about catfish or tilapia so the grouper wasn't bad. The fish is seasoned with salt, white pepper, and a little thyme and pan seared in a little olive oil.

The warm corn salad had fresh yellow corn, grated ginger, scallions, garlic, red pepper flakes, a dash of sugar, rice wine vinegar and tomatoes. It was really delicious! This will definately go into rotation. It's so easy to make too...good for busy weeknight meals.
WHat a great show of taste and fruits of cooking there...
That is a meal for a step beyond eating and enjoyment.

OUTSTANDING.....

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mary, Mary, you have created a visual masterpiece. Wow. That is just beautiful.

Luscious steak, Jimmy. I agree with you about Olive Garden - of course, we don't have Olive Garden here in Mexico, but we do have a couple of small Italian restaurants in town run by REAL Italians...Toscana Mia and Quinto del Francesco. Come on down and give them a try...very, very good.

Phiddlechick, your tarts are gorgeous, and very high quality picture!

Hope you took pictures, Vera...and that you are not washing away.

We had a good dinner - pork tenderloin rubbed with chiles, seared and finished in the oven, garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. Home made vanilla ice cream later. I am still unable to load pics - Doc gave me some suggestions and I haven't had the time to work on it.

mhend

Thank you Karen! It doesn't look nearly as good as Besh's creation, but it was definately tasty! Your tenderloin sounds wonderful and I would LOVE some homeade ice cream!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Vera nice Vera!! Whats in the acorn squash stuffing it looks really good.

Guts

the Asian pear tart looks delicious! Mhend your corn salad with fish. Wow! You mentioned Rice wine vinegar, I really like that stuff especially on white Rice. And Vera what can I say but very impressive plating looks delicious and that praline Apple pecan cake, I sure could go for a piece of that right now. After dinner got. I have a sweet before I go to bed. I think I'm going to be stuck with ice cream again.

tonight was wheat pasta with meatballs with a side of garlic bread and a ice cold glass of milk. I baked the meatballs and put them on top of the wheat pasta and sauce. I'm not a big fan of cooking the meatballs and sauce. I enjoy them individually just my stupid way of doing things. A quick and simple dinner tonight.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 89

Embryodad

the Asian pear tart looks delicious! Mhend your corn salad with fish. Wow! You mentioned Rice wine vinegar, I really like that stuff especially on white Rice. And Vera what can I say but very impressive plating looks delicious and that praline Apple pecan cake, I sure could go for a piece of that right now. After dinner got. I have a sweet before I go to bed. I think I'm going to be stuck with ice cream again.

tonight was wheat pasta with meatballs with a side of garlic bread and a ice cold glass of milk. I baked the meatballs and put them on top of the wheat pasta and sauce. I'm not a big fan of cooking the meatballs and sauce. I enjoy them individually just my stupid way of doing things. A quick and simple dinner tonight.

No No No... they look delicious. The meatballs is the way I love them.
I don't like them in the sauce either.
OMG..I'm drooling over that pic Guts...
10--4 on the baking them too.

I actually like to fry them in Lard. there is something about frying in lard that makes the meatballs taste so good. Actually they are not greasy either.

One thing I do for just DD and me, is I fry the meatballs well so they are cooked inside nice and slow...no burning..just lightly browned, and then I take the hot bubbling sauce, and ladle it on top the fried meat balls and let them set on the counter for about 15 minutes.

But Oh! ...Just like you show them..is actually the wayI love them.

I used to fry up like 30 meatballs, and drop them in a brown paper bag when they cooled. I would take them to work for lunch to nosh on, but they never made it to past 10 oclock. I ate them on the ride to work, and at my coffee break. Sometimes I would share them with the guy's on the construction site. ( No offence girls, but there were no girl pipefitters on the jobs I was on.) If you knew Jimmy...Jimmy fed everybody. Ha Ha ..I made like three pounds of Italian Chicken Fried steak one Friday, and we all had a picnic for lunch.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The fish is seasoned with salt, white pepper, and a little thyme and pan seared in a little olive oil.

My God that is beautiful Mary!
:applause:

mhend

Thanks Sass and Guts!

Your spaghetti looks awesome Guts! I like the meatballs cooked seperately sometimes too. :)