Are you ready for the bombing

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well tomorrow at 7:30 AM EST the US will bomb the moon with a missile traveling twice the speed of a bullet followed by a space craft a few minutes later. This ought to be interesting to say the least. :bounce:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I've not followed this event, and actually just heard about it a couple of days ago. It must have been kept under wraps, or I just flat out missed it. I'm not sure what the point of this is, so I'll just sit back and let the talking heads tell us all about it.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It's been on the news. They want to blow a hole in the surface to see if there's water under the surface. Recent developments seem to indicate that there is.

NASA's current obsession is to discover whether there's water on the moon, because that will allow them to use the moon as a launchpad into further space without the difficulties of launching from earth's strong gravitational pull.

But they need water to make their ideas work.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well it is a one shot deal to get a better idea of if there is water ice under the dust at the south pole of the moon as well as other elements. They will hit it with a missile which will penetrate deeply into the surface. Now in the low gravity of the moon will send particles pretty high above the surface that will be scanned and sent back to NASA until the satellite scanner then crashes into the moon.

The idea is to find out first if there is water in the form of ice below the surface as well as other valuable minerals. If we found water it would make space travel cheaper in that once you get to the moon if you could produce hydrogen from water as well as supply water need for say a crew to mars it would lower the cost considerably and make that trip easier due to pay loads. I hope that is understandable.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's been on the news. They want to blow a hole in the surface to see if there's water under the surface. Recent developments seem to indicate that there is.

NASA's current obsession is to discover whether there's water on the moon, because that will allow them to use the moon as a launchpad into further space without the difficulties of launching from earth's strong gravitational pull.

But they need water to make their ideas work.
Unbelievable.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Haven't even heard of this. A Google News search shows several articles. Thanks for the heads up!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
What pisses me off is that $$$$$ are spent on crap like this, in the meantime we have 'Nam vets still living on the streets, and a country that's going to hell in a handbasket.
Don't even get me started :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
And we’re spending too much money on foreign affairs. Why are all the missionaries so ready to bail out of the US and go to 3rd world countries when we need help here. Can’t you be “Christian” here in the states? Crap, don’t get ME started.

We have homeless here. Abused children here. Battered women here.

Nothing personal, but we should take care of our OWN starving and homeless before going elsewhere. I’ve yet to see one late night commercial that sponsors taking care of OUR business here. It’s BS.

All of which has nothing to do with the science budget that is designed to advance our knowledge, technology, and possibly job potential. If water is found on the moon, it could lead to a manned base. Which of course means advances in science, medicine, and jobs. Money well spent if it pans out, but at least is more interestingly wasted than sending it to Africa if it doesn’t pan out. :w00t:

S.Shepherd

The rocket propelling the satellite will detach first and smash into the moon’s surface, creating a crater about 66 feet wide and 10 feet deep (20 meters wide and 3 meters deep) and disturbing about 250 metric tons of lunar dust, NASA said

And it's supposed to eject a plume 6.2 miles into space! holy carp---you watch, they'll crack the moon or rip off a big chunk and it will hit us:hide:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
The rocket propelling the satellite will detach first and smash into the moon’s surface, creating a crater about 66 feet wide and 10 feet deep (20 meters wide and 3 meters deep) and disturbing about 250 metric tons of lunar dust, NASA said

And it's supposed to eject a plume 6.2 miles into space! holy carp---you watch, they'll crack the moon or rip off a big chunk and it will hit us:hide:
Where the hell have you been?:ohmy: LMAO!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
First - The plume will be made by an impact, not an explosion.

Second - Sass & Keltin - I am with you - Why are we exporting food while we have people starving to death? Oh Yeah! I forgot, money to be made and no one votes anyway.

smoke king

Banned
Growing up in the 60's, I have had a lifelong fascination with space and all that is "out there" that we don't understand, or even know about.

Maybe a part of me is still that 10 year old little boy that sat glued to the TV in 1969 watching the first pictures from the moon beamed back to earth,and I am fully aware there are lots of better things to spend the money on (trips to Amsterdam, for the family, to woo the IOC perhaps?:yum:) but I think this kind of stuff is C.O.O.L!!!!

Last edited:

phreak

This mission cost $78 million. The Apollo program cost around $170 something BILLION in today's dollars.

My .02 = Manned exploration is a big waste of money. Unmanned missions are way cheaper and gather a shit ton more info. Unfortunately NASA has to send men and women on missions in order to appeal to the public to continue getting funding.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you Bob, I've always been fascinated by space and astronomy in general. I still remember getting NASA facts in school every week as well as the beginning of the space race.

smoke king

Banned
I'm with you Bob, I've always been fascinated by space and astronomy in general. I still remember getting NASA facts in school every week as well as the beginning of the space race.

Remember whenever there was a launch, they would suspend classes and roll those TV's on the tall stands into the classroom?

I think me and all my friends back in those days wanted to be Astronauts (or Johnny Unitas!!)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I sure do and many of my class mates wound up in the sciences later in life. I sometimes wished I had followed a few of them as well.

chowhound

Remember whenever there was a launch, they would suspend classes and roll those TV's on the tall stands into the classroom?

I think me and all my friends back in those days wanted to be Astronauts (or Johnny Unitas!!)

lol, not just anybody... the AV Crew... :yum:
Good memory, Bob.

buckytom

Grill Master
they just realeased a picture of the moon just after the dust had settled.

athfmoonitesffdasdf[1].jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Well it is a one shot deal to get a better idea of if there is water ice under the dust at the south pole of the moon as well as other elements. They will hit it with a missile which will penetrate deeply into the surface. Now in the low gravity of the moon will send particles pretty high above the surface that will be scanned and sent back to NASA until the satellite scanner then crashes into the moon.

The idea is to find out first if there is water in the form of ice below the surface as well as other valuable minerals. If we found water it would make space travel cheaper in that once you get to the moon if you could produce hydrogen from water as well as supply water need for say a crew to mars it would lower the cost considerably and make that trip easier due to pay loads. I hope that is understandable.
someone will figure out how to make people pay big time so it won't be cheap for long.