What to do with lots of gravy?

GotGarlic

Hi, all. My mother usually makes great gravy, but this year, it turned out way too salty. I know I need to dilute it with unseasoned gravy (and I have extra stock and fat in the fridge), but there's about a quart and only two of us :smile: Any ideas on how to use it up? TIA.

Deelady

I was gonna say drink it till I saw it was too salty... ;) lol

But I'm with Barb I would freeze it in meal size portions that way you can have it whenever and with what ever you want! On a week day two months from now and you are haveing chops or mashed tators pull it out and presto! :D

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
After-Thanksgiving Enchiladas:

Dice leftover turkey into 1/4-inch cubes and place in a medium bowl. Add leftover mashed potatoes and stuffing; mix. Heat in microwave 1 to 2 minutes on high power until warm. Mix again. Spread mixture in center of flour tortillas and roll up.
Place, seam-side down, in shallow baking dish.
Spice up leftover gravy with a little hot sauce or chili paste. Top the rolled tortillas with leftover gravy and heat in a 350-degree oven 15 minutes or until heated through.

Deelady

After-Thanksgiving Enchiladas:

Dice leftover turkey into 1/4-inch cubes and place in a medium bowl. Add leftover mashed potatoes and stuffing; mix. Heat in microwave 1 to 2 minutes on high power until warm. Mix again. Spread mixture in center of flour tortillas and roll up.
Place, seam-side down, in shallow baking dish.
Spice up leftover gravy with a little hot sauce or chili paste. Top the rolled tortillas with leftover gravy and heat in a 350-degree oven 15 minutes or until heated through.

Mmmmm that sounds yummy!

Hi, all. My mother usually makes great gravy, but this year, it turned out way too salty. I know I need to dilute it with unseasoned gravy (and I have extra stock and fat in the fridge), but there's about a quart and only two of us :smile: Any ideas on how to use it up? TIA.

Instead of adding more stock and fat, perhaps you could cut the saltiness by adding some cream, sour cream, yogurt or white wine.

Other uses:

Beef or meatball stroganoff

Swedish meatballs (over rice or noodles)

Sauce for egg foo yung

Freeze in ice cube trays, unmold & pop them in a ziplock. Then you can pull out a cube or two at a time.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We freeze leftover gravy in small containers and use it for a variety of things down the road. Sometimes we just make rice & gravy as a side dish.

GotGarlic

Thanks for the great ideas, y'all :smile: I've frozen some and am making more stock from the carcass today. Turkey pot pie sounds great, since I have leftover celery and carrots from the relish tray, and I like the dumpling idea, too. In fact, there are lots of good suggestions! Thanks again.