Not so Hot or Sour Soup - 3+ points

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I make this recipe all the time, each time, differently. This time, I used less vinegar and hot pepper flakes than the recipe called for, and I really liked that.

Usually, I use all canned chicken broth and just pork loin, instead of tofu, but I decided to try the tofu for a change. I will stick with the pork in the future, LOL!

I also added a quart of beef broth I'd made, instead of 2 quarts of chicken broth. I will keep that change - I loved it!

Oh yeah, I omitted the eggs in this one, but they are a nice touch, if you aren't dieting.

I gave this 3 points, for the portion of tofu, and a little for the sesame oil, cornstarch, etc.

I served it over one cup of whole grain linguini, for another 4 points. Very filling and DEEEElicious!

Lee

Hot and Sour Soup
This makes a double batch..

½ cup dried wood ears (crumble before rehydrating) Note: if not available, use more shitakes
1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (crumbled)
1 large package sliced, fresh mushrooms (PLUS 1 can whole straw mushrooms)
(1) 49 oz can chicken broth , PLUS 1 quart beef broth

1 can bamboo shoots, drained
1 teaspoon minced ginger

6 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with equal parts water
5 large eggs (optional)
2 lb Pork loin, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2cup red wine vinegar
6 tablespoons thin (regular) soy sauce plus a pinch of sugar
2 tablespoon thick soy sauce (optional)
14 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch dice (OPTONAL)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teas crushed red pepper (use more for additional heat)
finely diced scallions
Chinese noodles or dumplings

In a bowl, cover the wood ears and dried mushrooms with hot water. Microwave on high for 5 minutes and let sit until softened. Drain and thoroughly rinse.
In a large saucepan combine the chicken and beef broths, wood ears, all of the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and red pepper and boil over moderately high heat for 2 minutes.
Stir the cornstarch and water mixture into the soup in a steady stream. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and stir into the soup. Stir in the soy sauces, pork, (tofu if used) and sesame oil and cook over medium heat until the pork is just poached – maybe 10 minutes.
Serve with cooked Chinese noodles or cooked Chinese dumplings. Place noodles or dumplings in a serving bowl and ladle soup over them. Garnish with green onions.

Attachments

• Hot and Sour Soup.JPG
    Hot and Sour Soup.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Mmmmm, hot and sour soup, probably my favorite soup

That's about the only way that I like tofu. I think it soaks up the flavor of the soup and tastes good. Of course, I like the pork in there too :brows:.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've never had hot and sour soup because of the tofu...never could bring myself to try it. I may check how many points it would add if I subbed pork loin or chicken. It sounds really good. Thanks!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tonight, I made half the recipe, upped the vinegar, upped the Sriacha, omitted the straw mushrooms and tofu, and added the eggs and cornstarch slurry.

mmmm MMMMM!

Lee

Attachments

• Hot and Sour soup with eggs.JPG
    Hot and Sour soup with eggs.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 187

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Tonight, I made half the recipe, upped the vinegar, upped the Sriacha, omitted the straw mushrooms and tofu, and added the eggs and cornstarch slurry.

mmmm MMMMM!

Lee

Sure looks good!

I don't know if you omitted the straw mushrooms because you just didn't have any or because you've decided that you don't like them. I quit using them and the canned baby corn because they have a funky taste to me. I've even tried rinsing them real good, but still a taste is left that I just don't like. Maybe I'm buying a funky brand. I still like tofu in hot and sour soup :).

CharlieD

What other vinegrs can be used?

I found the ingredients for this soup are the hardest to find in Kosher stores. No vinegar, no straw or ear wood mushrooms, obviously no pork, but that is not a problem I've been using smoked turkey instead gives great flavor.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, I omitted the straw mushrooms (I DO have a can of them) because I thought I had enough other stuff in there not to miss them. Also, I think their "helmet heads" are a little too big for this dish.

The Asian supermarket I frequent had a lot of interesting varieties of fresh mushrooms, so next time, I will try one or two of them.

Charlie, I don't know what vinegars are/are not Kosher, but I would think you could use apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, maybe even white vinegar. Just not something sweet like balsamic or any other strong flavor.

As for the dried mushrooms, I typed into Google "Kosher dried mushrooms" and came up with this link. Wood ears are black mushroom/fungus. The mushrooms in this link are 2-3 times more expensive than the ones I buy in the Asian market!

Lee