Yogurt

homecook

Does yogurt go bad??

We've got some in the fridge that we noticed has a sell by date of 2/9/09. Dh is on yet another antibiotic and needs to take the yogurt in the process. Should I toss it and just go buy more?

PanchoHambre

yeah but you will know when you open it

Realized today I had one that expired 5 days ago it was fine... 2/9 id be scared

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We actually just bought two large containers from ALDI four days ago. One was fine, the other one was the one that smelled like sour cream and tasted way worse. Neither was at expiration yet so not sure what happened there. ALDI has a guarantee so we took the bad one back and got a new one to replace it.
Only one other time did we have one go bad, and it was almost a week past its expiration when it happened. But like Pancho said, you can smell it the second you open it. If it smells good still, and tastes good still, make a smoothie out of it and some fruit and use it up fast before it does go!

homecook

Ok, I went to the store and bought new yogurt. The sell by date is not too long is it? The ones I bought have a date of 4/21. I checked alot of the ones in the case and most expired 4/16 to 4/21. Is that usual??

Thanks for your replies!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's the sell by date Barb, not the expiration date. If the yogurt looks, smells, and tastes good, and there are no visible signs of mold, it's okay to eat. You can freeze your yogurt to make it last longer it will just have a different look and texture when you thaw it out.

homecook

That's the sell by date Barb, not the expiration date. If the yogurt looks, smells, and tastes good, and there are no visible signs of mold, it's okay to eat. You can freeze your yogurt to make it last longer it will just have a different look and texture when you thaw it out.

I realize it's the sell by date, but it says to use no later than 7 days after sell by date and it was a month. It looked and smelled ok and there was no sign of mold. Dh did taste it, he said it was ok but I went and bought new anyway. :unsure: I figured with all the problems Dh has I'd play it safe.
I did think about freezing it before and heard about the texture change.........dh would never eat it. :yuk: He's picky that way.

Thanks!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I won't eat it after it is frozen either. We get the large pint tubs at ALDI here, plain vanilla, and they are pretty cheap. Considering the dangers to me if one is bad, we usually don't take the chance and chuck them as well.
However, yogurt never lasts more than two to three days tops here.. everyone loves it and eats it right up! Sour cream, that is the one we have to watch.

EDIT: Meant to say they are pretty cheap, so changed it above.

Last edited:

heb1976

Normally if it is bad - other then the smell - it will be really watery and chunky. That's what always happens to ours. The kids eat a ton of yogurt here.