Fried Cabbage
5 thick slices or 7 thin slices of bacon
2 Tablespoons butter
1 small white onion, sliced very thin
1 small head of cabbage - cut in half
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 bay leaf (optional)
water

Cut bacon into 1" pieces. Place in large frying pan and cook until ready to turn. Add butter and onion and cook till medium brown. Add cut cabbage and add bay leaf if using. Add enough water to cover (1/4 cup at a time.)
Cover and allow to steam, stirring often, and adding water as needed to help loosen the brown bits in the pan.
Cook 15-20 minutes (it will cook down quite a bit in volume.) Taste to check for desired tenderness. When almost done, add vinegar, stir, and heat an additional 5 minutes. Sprinkle with coarse black pepper just before serving if desired.

Makes 4-6 servings. 4 - 6 grams carbs per serving.

chilefarmer

Cabbage is one of those vegetables that I like a lot. Recipe looks good. Copied and is on my to try list. Thanks CF:smile:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
LT, my Dad & Pap used to make similar. not for lo-carbing, although we luved the stuff! we'd use ham base rather than bacon; other than 'at, generally the same. i'll hafta make a batch here w/ the bacon.
great dish~ thx. :flowers:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Now you've made me want this, LT!

My Polish relatives made this all the time, but used dill instead of bay for the herb.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
My neighbor downstairs just gave me 5lbs of potatoes, 5lbs of carrots and a large head of cabbage!! Perfect timing!!!!!!

Now I can make some fried cabbage soon!!!

Leni

My MIL used to very slowly fry cabbage with onions. Basically she carmalized it as you would onions. DH loves the stuff. I add a touch of garlic and he's in pig heaven.