Mom's bathtub surround

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Maybe y'all remember that I re-tiled my mother's bathroom floor a few months ago. Well, I'm here in Houston and I finished tiling her tub surround. This was a whole new experience! 12" tiles are heavy and want to slide down the walls until the mastic is dry. (Another reason I hate gravity...) Anyway, I managed to figure out how to keep them in place till dry and the job is finally done. (Not as amazing looking as JoeV's last shower surround job - but I'm pretty happy with it as a first ever attempt.) Here's some pics:

Attachments

• Bath1a.jpg
    Bath1a.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 172

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm having trouble getting the pics to upload. Trying again...

Attachments

• bath2.jpg
    bath2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 155
  • Bath3a.jpg
    Bath3a.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Bath4a.jpg
    Bath4a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 160
  • bath5a.jpg
    bath5a.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 159

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Here's the last ones. I hope to be home soon but mom is ill right now so I'm afraid to leave until she's better. (I sure do miss y'all!)

Attachments

• bath6a.jpg
    bath6a.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Bath7a.jpg
    Bath7a.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 172
  • Bath8a.jpg
    Bath8a.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 166

homecook

DAMN GIRL!!! Awesome job!! You should have called, I would have helped you. LOL

We miss you too! All the best to your mom.........hope she gets well soon..............

FooD

Nice tiling job!

Speaking of which...our bathroom counter needs a new face job soon. But I'm currently busy completely tearing down our huge termite infested deck down to the concrete piers. That could take several weeks, working just several hours each week. The deck now looks like a small plane had crashed on to it. This is not a fun project.
I plan on re-building a much smaller deck in its place.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Speaking of which...our bathroom counter needs a new face job soon. But I'm currently busy completely tearing down our huge termite infested deck down to the concrete piers. That could take several weeks, working just several hours each week. The deck now looks like a small plane had crashed on to it.
Oooh, I don't envy you, Food. Is it blazing hot there?

Thankfully, mom doesn't want her counter or cabinets replaced. (But I have been dying to pour a concrete countertop........)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Nice. You're giving me inspiration to redo my own bathroom, but I hate the cleanup.
This is one of the perks of having 5 sons - 2 of them did all the hauling upstairs and downstairs and the carrying out of debris. They brought in all the tools and packed them back up, and cleaned up all the sponges and tools. (I could probably rent you a couple of them, Chow.)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My all time dream........if I had the kitchen for it. lol My brother in St. Louis has them........I love em!!
Did he do them or have a pro do them? I've seen several videos on how to do it and it looks like it's not too hard to do. But you're right - you need the right kind of cabinets, etc, for them to look right.

homecook

Did he do them or have a pro do them? I've seen several videos on how to do it and it looks like it's not too hard to do. But you're right - you need the right kind of cabinets, etc, for them to look right.

He did them. They are so awesome!! It's a multi step process but they look great. I'll have to see if I can find some pics. I just wish my kitchen was suited for them.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Geez.....I'm impressed! Everything looks straight and just perfect. :smile: I've done peel-n-stick :smile:. Hope Mom gets better real soon.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Very nice job with the tile. The woodstrip at the base of the tile where it meets the tub is a good idea. I use 1/4" thick plastic trim strips that I bought at Home Depot for this very purpose. Next time you do a tile job, get some of these reusable spacers that the pro's use. I have them from 1/8" gap up to 3/8" gap, and just keep them separated in zip-lock plastic bags. You can get them at any big box retailer, tile shop or online at places like http://www.tools4flooring.com/tile-spacers-c-60_66.html

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pretty freaking impressive, Terry!

I'm agog!

Fantastic job!

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Beautiful, Terry! You should be quite proud of yourself and I hope your mom feels better soon!

buckytom

Grill Master
point mom's tv over towards the bathroom, f-mom.

wow, very nice job!!!! :applause:

can we see your knee pads?

what? biskit made me say it....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Really nice work Terry. I would not have thought of the way that you used to square the tiles. Great ingenuity.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, y'all. This is the best place in the world to make you feel great about yourself! JoeV, thank you so much for the link. I've been making my list for Santa from that link. And Love2Q has given me lots of tips for next time. BT, I actually did wear knee pads for part of it but I forgot to wear shoes so while my knees were fine, I cut my toes! Oh, and thanks for asking about my mom - she is doing much better. She had pneumonia, which is something that happens to her pretty often since she has COPD.