Best Mother's Day Present Ever!

crewsk

It is the best for me anyway. Hubby took the kids to let them pick out veggie plants for a garden for me. I was beyond happy when I saw everything because I didn't think I was going to even have a tomato plant this year. Now I have tomatoes, okra, yellow squash, banana peppers, jalapenos, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, dill, oregano, thyme, parsley, basil, & a blueberry tree/bush. Most of the mothers I know would gawk at present that gave them more work, but I'm looking forward to it all. Gardening is so relaxing for me!! As soon as I can find the camera & get the batteries charged, I'll post some pics.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
That is great! I am envious. Our yard is small and we have two labs that roam the yard. They also fancy themselves as gardeners. Especially when the tomatoes get ripe, the black lab becomes known as "International Harvester." He chewed the full vine of cherry tomatoes off so that he could drag it out into the yard and harvest the tomatoes and leave the vine there.

homecook

That's great crewsk!! That's what my hubby gets me every year and I love it. My sil built me a new fence for my garden this year.
Other years I've gotten a weed wacker, wheelbarrow, riding lawnmower, etc.

Deelady

LOL must have been the trend this year because my gift was a trip to my favorite nursery to buy some rose bushes!! :D

Hope you enjoy your new garden!!

Last edited:

lesley

It is the best for me anyway. Hubby took the kids to let them pick out veggie plants for a garden for me. I was beyond happy when I saw everything because I didn't think I was going to even have a tomato plant this year. Now I have tomatoes, okra, yellow squash, banana peppers, jalapenos, cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe, dill, oregano, thyme, parsley, basil, & a blueberry tree/bush. Most of the mothers I know would gawk at present that gave them more work, but I'm looking forward to it all. Gardening is so relaxing for me!! As soon as I can find the camera & get the batteries charged, I'll post some pics.
I think that's a lovely way to spend Mother's Day, my son had to work, but he did pop over in the morning with flowers & we made a great meal at the weekend together which was nice.

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
I got some big lava rocks for the garden area! It doesn't really sound like a Mother's Day gift, but it's exactly what I wanted! Plus, Doc helped me lay some landscape fabric and two huge scoops of mulch! We both were worn out by the end of the day!

Next comes the vegetable garden!

suziquzie

How cool!
I got the same for my b-day 2 weeks ago.... bought stuff last week.... and its still sitting on the picnic table waiting to be planted, its been so crappy out the last few days!

Deelady

These are the two rose bushes I got....first is called hot cocoa

and About face rose
grandi65.jpg

crewsk

Dee, I'm so jealous!!!! They are beautiful! When we moved last year, I had to leave all my roses behind because they were too big to dig up. They were very special to me because they all came from my great-great grandmother. My grandma rooted them for me from her plants. We are working on our front flower beds now & I plan to fill them with roses.

I didn't get off work until 7 Sunday night & we worked on getting the garden planted until 10:30 that night. I refused to go in until it was done.

simplicity

That is a beautiful plant simplicity!

Thanks. I have limited planting space and a penchant for flowers. I'll probably never get around to planting anything edible. (sigh). I'm trying to change my ways, but I'm not very successful. I applaud you and others who can do that!

Deelady

Dee those are beautiful!!!!! Do they smell as pretty as they look?

Those aren't actually my roses those are just the kind I got, blooming season hasnt hit yet for most roses here but they do have tons of buds so I can't wait for them to bloom!!! :D

Dee, I'm so jealous!!!! They are beautiful! When we moved last year, I had to leave all my roses behind because they were too big to dig up. They were very special to me because they all came from my great-great grandmother. My grandma rooted them for me from her plants.

I'm sorry you had to leave those behind I can only imagine how much they meant toyou! :( But just think, now you can build up a garden to do the same for your great grand children! :) Make sure you take tons of pics when your stuff starts to grow in for us!! :D

crewsk

Very true Dee! I just wish I had my grandma's green thumb. She could root anything without using a rooting hormone, it always amazed me. Even though her mind is going, I'm sure she can still do that. I will def be taking tons of pics to share!!