I need some landscaping advice

Mr. Green Jeans

Many garden centers also staff on-site designers that do thumbnail sketches. The service is free providing you purchase the plants there.

chowhound

That sketch the guy at the nursery drew for me had more than a little artistic talent. At least IMO. Maybe if I think of it I'll scan it at work and post it.

RNE228

Many garden centers also staff on-site designers that do thumbnail sketches. The service is free providing you purchase the plants there.

I agree. The nursery my wife works at will do that.

It is not the same as having someone come on site though, to see soil conditions, the house, hardscapes etc(wife is also a landscape designer).

We used to have a mom/pop landscape company. It was always amazing how even just an hour of consultation time could help in choosing plants, where to put them, flow of the garden etc. Not everyone needs an expensive design. Sometimes just sitting down with someone, making some basic sketches, and thumbing thru some garden books really helps.

The Master Gardeners are free. They're volunteers, working in cooperation with the state universities.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i got an easier solution... in the winter you can move it else where...no back breaking work, adds value to the property..lol

Lang%20Smoker%20-%201.jpg

2016924933wooden_picnic_table_lrg.jpg

chowhound

Here ya go, Suzi. I just finished transplanting that tree y'all identified a while back, wet things down and snapped a pic.
I have no doubt that tree won't make it, but it'll look good for a few days lol, then if new leaf shoots don't start popping up to replace the ones that are supposed to fall off, I'll get something from the nursery. This thing did not have a root structure like I was expecting to see and I didn't get much of a root "ball". Oh well. It'll come out easier than it went in.

Now I just need to wait for things to start growing.... Everything you see here is supposed to come back every year. I've got day lilies and blue clips on the left side surrounding one of those burning bushes that get bright red in the fall (my choice on that one). On the right I have purple day lilies and something called salvia (I'm going by his sketch and not the tags). In front I have three purple palace coral bells and behind them two knockout rose bushes. And that little rebbechia thing you can barely see in the back middle is supposed to get decent sized and act as a backdrop to a bird bath. You can barely see it now. Heck, you can barely see anything now (lol).
I'll get some bark when it looks like things aren't dying on me.

Attachments

• landscape1.jpg
    landscape1.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 137

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I think it's beautiful, Chow! I can imagine all the plants filled in and a birdbath in the middle - it will be gorgeous. And if the tree makes it, in a few years you could have a nice chair out there under the shade of the tree. Very, very nice work, my friend.

chowhound

Wow. Thanks FM!
I have no imagination for landscaping, that's for sure. Hopefully a little landscaping will keep the eyes off my yard (lol). I've discovered my problem with all this digging I've been doing... grubs.

Deelady

Looks great Chow!! Nice selection! I just put in two kinds of Salvia myself and planned to get some Knockout roses for the back soon.
Good luck on your tree!!

chowhound

Thanks, Dee.
The trees going to need some luck, that's for sure. All the leaves have wilted already, so hopefully new shoots will start in a few days. I'm soaking it good like the nursery guy said.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
your yard looks very good chow... i still say the big smoker would have been a great addition..lol:yum: