Ratatouille Casserole

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Found this recipe online and tried it tonight.

We LOVED it! This is a keeper!

I recommend trying to get the zucchini and summer squash about the same diameter as the eggplants.

Here's what I made and I'll also post a link to the original recipe. http://12tomatoes.com/2014/01/vegetarian-recipe-ratatouille-casserole.html

They used peppers, and I used white eggplants, since I grow them.

Theirs was a little prettier, but I thought mine was okay-looking for a first effort!

Lee

Ratatouille Casserole (Lee's version)
(makes 4 servings)
Ingredients

• 1 six-ounce can tomato paste *
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 or more tablespoons olive oil (divided)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 small purple eggplant, thinly sliced
  • 1 small white eggplant, thinly sliced
  • 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (can substitute basil leaves)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Place a skillet over medium heat and add the chopped onion, sautéing the onion until tender and translucent (only a few minutes). Then, add the garlic and sauté for another minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
  3. Get a 10x10-inch baking dish (I used a deep Pyrex pie plate) and lightly grease with cooking spray. Mix the tomato paste, sautéed onion and garlic, water, and one tablespoon of olive oil together in a bowl until everything is thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then spread this mixture along the bottom of the dish.
  4. Toss sliced vegetables in a bit of olive oil, just enough to very lightly coat them. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Take the thinly sliced eggplant, zucchini, squash, and begin arranging them along the outer edge of the dish – alternating between vegetables. You’ll follow the outer edge of the dish and then work in a circle toward the middle, until you get to the center.
  6. Finish by drizzling the top of the vegetables with two tablespoons of olive oil and adding salt and pepper to taste. Then, sprinkle the top with thyme leaves and rosemary leaves.
  7. Cover the dish with a piece of parchment paper, trimmed enough to fit inside the dish and cover the vegetables.
  8. Bake until the vegetables are tender and fully roasted, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
  9. Enjoy!
*If you don’t have tomato paste, then simply replace the paste, onions, garlic, water, and one tablespoon of olive oil with your favorite pasta sauce.

Attachments

• Ratatouille 1, whole vegs..JPG
    Ratatouille 1, whole vegs..JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Ratatouille 2 -sliced vegs.JPG
    Ratatouille 2 -sliced vegs.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Ratatouille 3 arranged and raw.JPG
    Ratatouille 3 arranged and raw.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Ratatouille 4 - baked.JPG
    Ratatouille 4 - baked.JPG