What consistency do you prefer your mashed potatoes to be ??

Im just curious about the consistency everyone prefers. I like mine a little more runny and creamy. Although Im ashamed to admit it, I actually like those dried mashed potato mixes and their consistency.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
DW makes them whipped so they are smooth, but I use the OXO hand masher with the zig-zag wire head so they are a bit chunky. We both use butter & sour cream to finish. I don't care for runny potatoes because they remind me of when my mother would make instant mashed potatoes, which I don't care for.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
When it comes to instant mashed potatoes, I prefer Idahoan's brand, but I don't use them that often.
For fresh whipped creamy taters, I like to use yukon gold.
I've found that they are really tasty just baked as they are with a little pepper, no butter or anything needed.
When I mash them, I always add some butter, then whip until there are no chunks.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like them whipped with a lot of butter but my wife likes them a bit on the lumpy side but at leasts likes butter also. We tend to compromise but neither of us like them soupy or runny.

For me it depends & is based on what I'm in the mood for plus what I'm going to be serving them with.

Sometimes I like them super chunky - more like "smashed" than mashed; sometimes I like them with just a little texture; & sometimes I like them smooth & creamy - but short of the "glue" stage obviously - lol!

Deelady

I'm with Breezy...depends on my mood, sometimes whipped and creamy, sometimes smashed and lumpy! But whenever I decide on lumpy I use red rose potatoes nd leave the skins on :D

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Whipped with lot's of butter and milk. Very smooth, but just stiff enough to make a well for gravy.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I enjoy variety. I buy different kinds on different weeks. I sometimes use salt pepper and butter, someyies I add haic or Basil or both.

One thing for sure. Of they are to be mashed, they are going through the potato ricer.

As for instant - I use idahooan. After I doctor them up, they are not bad at all. They are also handy as a thickener.

I'm with Breezy...depends on my mood, sometimes whipped and creamy, sometimes smashed and lumpy! But whenever I decide on lumpy I use red rose potatoes nd leave the skins on :D

Same here! "Smashed" potatoes must be red-skins with the skins left on for me too! :chef:

As for instant - I always have a box of them in the house for when dear hubby has a hankering for them. I think they're just fine, which isn't surprising since they're really just dehydrated cooked potatoes.

Lefty

Yank
I must change that to, variety. I like them whipped with garlic I throw in and boil right along with the potatoes. Sometimes with a meatloaf I will whip up half and crush the other half and mix them together.

I will also admit to just eating boiled potatoes, the potato flavor is left in tact this way.

High Cheese

Saucier
Depends on my mood. Sometimes smooth with alot of cream, garlic and onion. Sometimes I take boiled red potatoes and do a quick smash with the skin on.

CharlieD

I can't call my self a world traveler; I have only been to few places. But it is only in USA that I have seen lumpy mashed potato. I wonder where it's coming from.
I like my mashed potato puréed, practically whipped.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I like mine smooth and fairly stiff, with a little butter in and sometimes with cheese & herbs as well (especially when used for topping a pie). I always use a potato ricer to ensure it is lump free.

I like smashed potatos as well, large & chunky.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I like mine lump free and stiff enough for a gravy well. I use butter, sour cream (sometimes cream cheese), heavy cream and salt and pepper. I use a ricer to get all of the lumps out without making them gluey. I don't care for instant.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Skins left on. Lots of garlic, parmesean cheese & chives. Somewhat on the stiff side, but not to much.

Attachments

• garlic mashed with parmesan & chives.jpg
    garlic mashed with parmesan & chives.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 141

buckytom

Grill Master
ss, your food pics are killing me. it's only half past 8am, and i want garlicy, cheesey, chivey spuds.

my favourite way to make mashed spuds is my new way using my ricer. although, i haven't met a real mashed spud i haven't liked. creamy, chunky, dry, wet; in colcannon, boxty, or champ potatoes; in double baked, croquettes, and pancakes. i've even tried a rehydrated brand in costco that was ok. mashed redskins, if i remember correctly.

using the ricer, they come out light, airy, and on the dry side. until you hit it with gobs of butter of course.
actually, i've found it best to melt the butter into the boiled chunks first, then rice them so that the butter spreads through. if you add it after ricing, you end up mushing up the spuds so that they become dense, defeating the purpose of the ricer.

here's my ricer. it's just a gigantic garlic press.

img85l.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
:agree:I'm with you on that BT. A ricer really does make the fluffiest mash. But I usually like to leave the skins on, and the ricer just doesn't know how to do that.:unsure:

When I'm doing something formal, I rice, and then toss in the butter & cream gently, but for everyday I just smash 'em with the skins.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
For me it depends & is based on what I'm in the mood for plus what I'm going to be serving them with.

Sometimes I like them super chunky - more like "smashed" than mashed; sometimes I like them with just a little texture; & sometimes I like them smooth & creamy - but short of the "glue" stage obviously - lol!

I am with you on this.

FryBoy

I like them on the dry side, mashed with a potato masher or ricer, not whipped, as I think they're better that way with the gravy or sauces of the dishes I enjoy. But I'll eat them just about any other way, except runny.