Herbs De Provance

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I found this great website to get fresh and hard to find herbs & spices. With each order they send you a 1 oz sample of an herb or spice for free.
With my last order, they sent me herbs de provance. I've never used it....what can I put this in? :unsure:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Herb de provence is actually a mixture of herbs from Provence, France. Basically, it's like our "Italian Seasoning" that McCormick sells. Typically, Thyme is the biggest ingredient, but may also contain basil, fennel, and others. I'd use it the same as you would use a jar of McCormick's Italian Seasoing. Good for soups, stews, sauces (especially tomato based), even grilled items, or in potato mixtures.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Herb de provence is actually a mixture of herbs from Provence, France. Basically, it's like our "Italian Seasoning" that McCormick sells. Typically, Thyme is the biggest ingredient, but may also contain basil, fennel, and others. I'd use it the same as you would use a jar of McCormick's Italian Seasoing. Good for soups, stews, sauces (especially tomato based), even grilled items, or in potato mixtures.

Thanks Keltin :) It was the lavendar in the mixture that threw me, lol Never used that before either...

Improv Cook

Herbs de provance is a good all purpose seasoning blend. It's good on veggies. Sprinkle a little in your scrambled eggs. Good.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I sure am glad you bumped this thread Improv. I guess no one realized that RM's questions was never answered. Thanks for adding to it!

Here's the New York Times Bread

cookingirl

I absolutely LOVE herbs de provence!!! I get it from Penzy's.... it is soooo good, even my dad likes it, instead of other spices...it is my 'go to' herb in place of many, except oregano and basil... it seems so adaptable.....hope you enjoy it.....omelets, chicken, tomato soup----picked it up instead of oregano and it came out with a different taste.---but good, did not put too much in, not to overwhelm it....it is good on even steaks, scallops, fish---goes on and on....the lavender is really mild and sweet, but not over the top...I hope you enjoy it---I did, have and still am....

Norm

I made this recently with Spice Island herbs de provence. It has lavender included in the mix. Martha Stewart has (had?) a lavender chicken recipe a while back.

Roasted Vegetables with penne pasta
Ingredients
2 red peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch wide strips
2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cremini mushrooms, halved
1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch strips
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 tablespoon dried Italian herb mix or herbs de Provence
1 pound penne pasta
3 cups marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
1 cup grated fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated smoked mozzarella
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/3 cup for topping
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
On a baking sheet, toss the peppers, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and onions with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and dried herbs. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 6 minutes. Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is still hard. Drain in a colander.
In a large bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix, until all the pasta is coated with the sauce and the ingredients are combined.
Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Top with the remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and butter pieces. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.