Satsumas

LADawg

Our little Satsuma tree is loaded with fruit this year, and man are they GOOD! :clap:
What is a Satsuma? It is a seedless and easy-peeling citrus species, also known as cold hardy mandarin, Satsuma mandarin, Satsuma orange, Christmas orange, and tangerine. It is probably of Japanese origin and introduced elsewhere. Even though some people may call it a tangerine it is much sweeter than a tangerine and the skin is a lot thinner.http://netcookingtalk.com/ cite_note-Hanelt-2
Whoever planted the little tree planted it in the wrong place since it is located in a shaded area and not in full sun. In the past the fruit has not been very good and the tree has had only been 8 to 10 Satsuma’s. This year there are over 50 Satsuma’s on the tree. I did fertilize it this spring. Maybe that is what caused it to produce. Of course we also had a lot or rain during the summer.

Leni

You should try a Satsuma plum tree. They are wonderful to eat and make great pies, cobblers and jam.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never heard of that, LA, but I will be on the lookout for them now!

Got a photo to post?

Lee

LADawg

I've never heard of that, LA, but I will be on the lookout for them now!

Got a photo to post?

Lee

I doubt you will find any Satsumas up there in Boston. They only grow along the coast of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and in a small part of the Florida Panhandle. Not many are grown in groves, just for home use.
But you can look......

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It's getting to be that time of the year when I buy a bag of clementines per week. I love 'em! I don't think I've ever seen the satsumas, but I'm going to look.