RM's Pollo Alla Cacciatora

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
For those of you who have been helping me in my search for my MIL's recipe, I found a similar base recipe and made my own variations. Here's what I came up with and, if I do say so myself, it's very, very close to hers! :D

RM's Pollo alla Cacciatora

2.5 - 3 lb cut up chicken
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup grated (not chopped) onion
1 finely chopped garlic clove
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth/stock
1 - 28 oz can of Cento crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp crumbled dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 small can of black olives
3 anchovy fillets or 1 1/2 tsp of anchovy paste
Salt & pepper to taste

Wash & dry chicken pieces and season with salt & pepper. In a heavy 10-12 inch skillet, heat olive oil and brown chicken pieces. Transfer to a plate & set aside. Remove fat from pan until there is about 2 Tbsp left. Add grated & chopped garlic on low-medium heat as to not brown or burn. Add anchovy and stir until melted, then pour in the wine & vinegar, boiling briskly until liquid has reduced to about a 1/2 cup. Add the crushed tomatoes & chicken broth/stock, stirring to loosen up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the oregano, bay leaf & olives then return chicken to the pan. Bring to just a boil then reduce heat to simmer and cover. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, basting every so often. Chicken is done when juices run clear when pierced. Serve with polenta & a crisp romaine salad :smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OOoooo!!! RM, I love the flavors of black olives, anchovies, and tomatoes together!

This sounds like puttanesca, but with chicken!!! Man, I'm SO copying and pasting this one!

Thank YOU!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
This sounds like puttanesca, but with chicken!!!

that thought must have crossed my mind a hundred times. i luv the stuff. i think it's my fave pasta dish. i'm ignoring the doctors' sodium orders this week so i think i'll make this someday this week if my jar of capers is unopened. got all the ingregients.