No-Peek Casserole

homecook

1 lb. stew meat (or chuck roast cut up)
flour
salt and pepper
garlic powder (or any other spices you'd like)
1 can cream of onion soup
1 can French onion soup
2/3 cup Merlot (or any red wine)
Mushrooms

Dredge meat in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Brown in dutch oven. Mix cans of soup and wine together and pour over meat. Add mushrooms and mix all together. Put in 300F oven for 2 hours. (no peeking).

Serve over noodles.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Waaaaaa-Hooooooo! Thank you! This is gonna be great! I'll make it this weekend and post pics!!!

Chow, post your pic here as well!! :thumb:

homecook

Thank You!! It really is tasty. I posted a pick in the dinner thread on Tuesday. Chowhound made this tonight and posted a pic.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry, maybe I’m impatient, but I love looking at these pics, so I copied them here!

Homecook made it, and here it is.
10ib96u.jpg

Then Chowhound made it, and here it is.
ayw13q.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
As Sass would say......DaaaaYuuummmmm, that looks good. I'm making this and will post pics also! Great job guys! :thumb:

homecook

Thanks Keltin. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. lol

How funny, chow and I both had broccoli.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Keltin. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. lol

How funny, chow and I both had broccoli.

It's easy. I can teach you if you make me a bowl of that Gulash you do so well!

But seriously, if you like, I can write up a very easy tutorial on this. It's far easier than you think, just DON'T think about what the computer is doing, instead, click away and make it work for you. After you have done it once, it's second nature! :thumb:

homecook

It's easy. I can teach you if you make me a bowl of that Gulash you do so well!

But seriously, if you like, I can write up a very easy tutorial on this. It's far easier than you think, just DON'T think about what the computer is doing, instead, click away and make it work for you. After you have done it once, it's second nature! :thumb:

I'll make you a bowl or a even a pot of goulash any time!!
My daughter just taught me how to post pictures and actually only took me 3 times before I could do it on my own. But I would appreciate a tutorial on doing this. Thank You!!

chowhound

It leaves the house smelling great the next morning, too. It's a very aromatic dish. Definitely belongs in the TNT category.

Barb, broccoli has been my veggie of choice lately. Inexpensive, lasts several days in the fridge, cooks quickly. I steam mine seasoned with s & p, then drizzle with EVOO, add slivered almonds and saute a bit. Cheese sauce is nice, too, like Keltin mentioned. mmm, broccoli..... the incredible edible green flowery thing (lol).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Homecook – If you don’t mind, I’m also going to post this (my write up) in the Outdoor Cooking forum so that Outdoor DO enthusiasts have this as well. It will link back to this as the original. I’m going to call it Merlot Onion Beef Tips with Mushrooms. Let me know if this is ok, or if you want something changed!

So - I found myself at the store and couldn’t remember what cut of meat to use for this. I remembered the soup and mushrooms, but not the cut. I’ve had Sirloin beef tips before, so opted for a small Sirloin Roast.

I adapted this for my Outdoor DO. I just love using that thing! :wub:

DO: 10”
Coals: 22 – 10 Bottom, 12 top
Cook Time: 2 hours

To brown the meat, you simply need to add your coals to the empty DO and allow it to heat for 15 minutes. You should have 1 Tbsp of oil in the DO. After 15 minutes of heating up, add the meat, stir briefly, then apply the lid (coals are on the lid, so be careful). Leave it undisturbed for 15 minutes.

Remove lid to safe place (coals are still on the lid). Stir meat. Now add wine, soups, and mushrooms. Stir to mix and coat well. Cover and don’t peek until done.

At this point, you’re into your coals by 30 minutes. They’ll last another 40 or so before you need to change them with a fresh batch. So basically, you’re heating the DO for 15 minutes, browning the meat for 15, and then cooking it all for 1.5+ hours undisturbed. Technically, one batch of coals goes a little longer than 1 hour, but it begins cooling then.

Also, technically, the number of coals I used for a 10” DO (22 coals) equates to 375 degrees. So, 1.5 hours of total “cook” time (not the browning time) is actually just right.

Here is the roast.

Step1-29.jpg

Apply the knife, and the roast is now “stew meat”.

Step2-24.jpg

The meat goes in for browning. Wait 15 minutes, and we having some steaming and browned meat. Notice that in an Outdoor DO relying on charcoal, the browning is a little less than if we were using a convention stove top. You aren’t privy to having the lid open and stirring frequently, plus the heat supply is limited. However, we could have let it sit 30 minutes to brown which would have expended more coal.

Step3-20.jpg

Step4-14.jpg

Give the meat a stir and then add the soup, wine, and mushrooms. Now it’s time to add the lid and begin the no-peek period!

Step5-13.jpg

Finally done! Bring it in and let it rest for 10 – 15 minutes. The CI holds heat very well. While it is resting, go ahead and re-oil your lid while it is warm. When ready, look inside!

Step6-7.jpg

And here it is plated over “dumpling” style No-Yolk Egg noodles.

Step7-7.jpg

Last edited:

homecook

Go for it Keltin!!! I'm really glad you liked it. That's super that you could do it in the Outdoor DO. Thanks for trying it!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Go for it Keltin!!! I'm really glad you liked it. That's super that you could do it in the Outdoor DO. Thanks for trying it!!

It rocks! The flavor is to die for! And we love egg noodles. We are so loving this reicpe!!! Thank you!!

chowhound

Hmmm, the only problem I see cooking this dish outdoors is....
The wonderful smell won't be able to waft through your house.
:yum:

Looks good, K.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ooooo! Copied and saved, Barb! Thanks!

Keltin, as usual, your photos are WONDERFUL! I can't give you more official karma at the moment, but please consider yourself karma'd when you read this! :)

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I made this again tonight. DW is so hooked on this dish. And I’ll tell you right now, it is awesome!

Tonight, I used an electric skillet to do this. It’s 5 ply stainless with two layers or levels. In between the two levels is oil. When it heats, the oil expands and even the sides get hot. It’s a really nifty little cooker. It has a high dome lid and works with low heat by forming a steam seal between the base and dome lid.

Anyway, on with the pics.

Start with a roast or steak.
Step1-32.jpg

Cut it to bite sized pieces.
Step2-27.jpg

Dredge the pieces in flour and brown them.
Step3-23.jpg

Add the soup and wine mixture along with your mushrooms.
Step4-16.jpg

Plate over noodles!
Step5a.jpg

chowhound

That sounds like a nifty pan, K. I've never caught wind of a pan like that before.

I think I'm going to make this again and see how that heavy, CI, plated skillet I have works. It's as thick as a DO and as high as a saute pan. Then I'll take it over to my dad's house next Tuesday as it's cooling and make my sister jealous she gave that pan away (lol).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That sounds like a nifty pan, K. I've never caught wind of a pan like that before.

I think I'm going to make this again and see how that heavy, CI, plated skillet I have works. It's as thick as a DO and as high as a saute pan. Then I'll take it over to my dad's house next Tuesday as it's cooling and make my sister jealous she gave that pan away (lol).

It’s pretty neat. It’s part of a waterless cookware set....either Royal Prestige or Salad Master. It’s like this one except that its’ 5 ply instead of 3 ply. Pretty heavy.

Don’t know if you’ve heard of Salad Master or Royal Prestige, but they are ridiculously priced. They get pushed mainly at “cooking parties” where the waterless/oil-less cooking system is shown. I have to admit, the cookware is pretty darn awesome, but the price is insane. This electric skillet was 1100.00.

My buddy bought the set and paid nearly 4,000 for it all back in 92. In 93, he got divorced. She kept all of the cookware except this electric skillet. Later in 93, he moved to the Virgin Island and didn’t want to take the skillet, so he gave it to me. He had never even used it! I used it 2-3 times and put it in storage. Last year, we were cleaning the storage unit, and I came across it and drug it out. Did a little research on it to see how it works (waterless system) and began using it. It’s pretty awesome.

For the most part, I just use it like a regular electric skillet, but the waterless applications are neat. Still, I’d never pay what they were asking for it!

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have seen the prices for Salad Master, but I never knew how it worked or how it was different from other tri-ply SS. I wasn't aware of oil-core cookware but it makes sense. Thanks, Keltin. (You know I'm going to be scouring ebay and Craig's List for this now.)

homecook

Thanks Keltin and chow for making this recipe!! I'm so glad you guys like it so much.

Keltin, how long did you need to cook it in your skillet?? I've just got a normal electric skillet and wonder if I could make it in that? I'll probably have to give it a try.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Barb, we are going to try this recipe also. It sure looks good.
I got a question though. Why would you mention browning the meat in a dutch oven rather than a skillet? Do you really brown the beef in a DO with charcoal? :confused:

chowhound

Doc, DO is a term used loosely to mean a heavy pot with a lid. It doesn't necessarily mean the outdoor kind of DO. I made mine in a CI indoor DO, so basically it just doesn't have the ring to hold it above a fire or the lip around the lid for the charcoal, or the legs. Brown the meat in whatever pot/pan/DO you plan on using so you get the bits.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks CH. I figured I must be missing something.

homecook

Barb, we are going to try this recipe also. It sure looks good.
I got a question though. Why would you mention browning the meat in a dutch oven rather than a skillet? Do you really brown the beef in a DO with charcoal? :confused:

Doc, Keltin made this recipe in his outdoor DO also. He posted the recipe in the outdoor cooking forum so you'd know how to do it outside. I don't know how to link it. lol

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Barb! :thumb:
I saw that keltin had done it that way.
Now I'll tell you how you can link to anything anytime.
All you do is open another browser window (or tab) and navagate to the recipe, post or web site you want to link to. Click up in the address bar and that will highlight the entire address (aka URL). Right click on it and select copy. Then come back here and paste it into your post. It's that easy. :thumb: :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I’m an outdoor cooking nut. I probably do 50% or more of my cooking outdoors.

Sorry for the confusion, and here is the link to the Outdoor DO version.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6140

Keltin, how long did you need to cook it in your skillet?? I've just got a normal electric skillet and wonder if I could make it in that? I'll probably have to give it a try.
I let it run for 1 1/2 hours on low (simmer). I used Sirloin Tip this time, and could have probably called it done at 1 hour since Tip is a bit more tender than bottom, but I was busy doing other stuff, so I just let it cook. I love set-it-and-forget-it recipes like this! :thumb:

homecook

Thank you Doc, I think I understand it now. LOL

Thanks Keltin, I may give that a try in my electric skillet next time.