What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

I had a hankerin' for chocolate today so I made a mayonnaise cake into cupcakes this afternoon and topped them with whipped peanut butter icing. I gave some to the neighbors because they are way too addicting to keep around.

Attachments

• mayonnaisecake.jpg
    mayonnaisecake.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 194

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Mama, my grams used to make mayonnaise cakes all the time.
They were always my favourite cakes as a kid.
Peanut butter icing too?.. :applause::flowers:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Thanks Sass! It's my mama's recipe and I always have to put peanut butter icing on it because that's what she always did and the cake just wouldn't be the same.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Thanks Sass! It's my mama's recipe and I always have to put peanut butter icing on it because that's what she always did and the cake just wouldn't be the same.
I understand ;)
Thanks for bringing back good memories.:respect:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Here ya go SS: Mayonnaise Cake. If you make cupcakes, you'll only need to bake them for about 20 minutes. I have to warn you though, it is probably the most addicting cake you'll ever eat so don't say I didn't warn you :lol:

Last edited:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Gotta post something.... Maybe I can get Joe to comment :)

Not sure I mentioned it, but I bought a grain mill a few months ago, and I've been playing with it. Today I did a 50% home milled hard red wheat and 50% KAAP. About 5% honey and I let the fresh milled wheat soak over night in equal weight of water. Supposedly that gets the enzymes working on a natural acid that would otherwise leave a bitter taste. Bread was excellent :) Over on TFL I picked up on a new topping. It's a mixture of brown and golden flax, millet, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and I added a few caraway. I really like it. The millet stays crunchy... really nice.

Attachments

• P1050489.JPG
    P1050489.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 158
  • P1050492.JPG
    P1050492.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 153

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

woohoo!! So like old normal times!! I made sugar cookies (stamped with a moon/sun face) with a rose flower water/ lemon zest glaze. I also made blueberry pound cake (to go with the homemade nectarine ice cream) and vanilla cupcakes to be iced with 7 minute frosting. Not that there's anyone here to eat any of this..but all that shall change on Sunday when Coco and her friends come to visit!!

vyapti

I finally made some bread.I've been so busy lately, that, apart from a pizza a couple weeks ago, I haven't made any bread. I made JoeV's No Knead recipe. It tasted great, as always, but I think this is one of the more attractive loaves I've ever made. It was great with piles of tomatoes, onion and zucchini fritters.

4851820879_0f97c66217.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Looks great. It's been so hot that all I bake is Italian & whole wheat for sandwiches and toast. I'll get into it when the weather cools down and we can turn off this darn air conditioner.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter

Broke down and made some peanut butter cookies this evening after it cooled down a bit. Didn't work - heated up the house anyway. Jerry's sense of well-being is affected when he has no home-made cookies. I spoil him, but he is worth it.

Attachments

• peanut butter cookies.jpg
    peanut butter cookies.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 130

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Wow! VY and Karen, you guys rock! Excellent looking baked goods. I'm so envious!! Great job! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter

Thanks, Keltin - the cookies taste really good with a glass of cold, cold milk.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

I just baked these mini corn muffins for breakfast.

mini_corn_muffins_081510_P1060175.JPG

Last edited:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

At 2:00 am, you're baking corn muffins? Hope your family appreciates you Peep.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

I found a recipe online for the warm apple crostada that I had a while back a Maggiano's. I made it into a pie because the crust was a little difficult to work with once it got the least little bit warm. It turned out awesome! I think next I will double the filling. If you are interested, you can click here for the recipe and step-by-step pictures.

Attachments

• apple-pie-1.jpg
    apple-pie-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 103
  • apple-pie-2.jpg
    apple-pie-2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 105

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

I found a recipe online for the warm apple crostada that I had a while back a Maggiano's. I made it into a pie because the crust was a little difficult to work with once it got the least little bit warm. It turned out awesome! I think next I will double the filling. If you are interested, you can click here for the recipe and step-by-step pictures.
That looks YUMMY Mama!! On my way to check out the recipe!! Bookmarked AND C & Ped!! Thank you

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter

Oh Mama, you've done it again! That looks like a million bucks...flaky crust, perfectly browned, luscious filling. Congratulations!

mhend

Looks fabulous, Mama! I'm gonna try this soon for my son - apples are his favorite!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Thanks Karen and mhend! The crust was really good but I must admit, I used a few choice words while working with it :lol:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well it's been over a year since anyone posted in this thread. I did my baking today for the church's bake sale this weekend. 24 loaves of Olive oil Italian, and 4 loaves of Honey Whole Wheat. Took 6 hours, and all I have to do is bag it this afternoon and deliver it in the morning.

P1020807.jpg

lilylove

WOW! THat's a lot of bread!

I just stuck a pan of RHUBARB Dream bars in the oven. House smells pretty good!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
No kidding, and they look good!

JoeV.....you could use an outdoor bread oven if you do this often...:D
I only do this big bake three times each year. I'm still contemplating the WFO, I'm just not sure if I would use it enough to get my money's worth. I figure it would cost me about $1,500 for all the materials, and that's a lot to spend on a whim...not to mention a lot of work.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>and that's a lot to spend on a whim...not to mention a lot of work.

'zactly. the money part is the easier bit . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.