NCT's Iron Chef 27: Battle Jicama!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
For Iron Chef 27, the secret ingredient is……..

Jicama!

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulation is that you must make a Jicama in some way.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let Battle Jicama begin!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oooooh, this will be interesting! We have jicama readily available at every store here, but I only eat it sliced up and raw. I'll be interested in seeing what else can be done with it.

vyapti

My Asian and Mexian grocery stores both have jicama. I don't see it as often at other stores.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
FOUND IT !!

Now, what-ever to DO with it.............................

Jicama002.jpg

K

Kimchee

I might go hunting for some this weekend and see what it is!
Could be fun.

buckytom

Grill Master
good thing we didn't do something as stupid as garlic!

8 posts, no dishes. (you know i was waiting to say that. :dizzy: )

Deelady

sorry but I have NEVER cared for jicima! I don't know what it is about it but....um no thanks!

I wish I knew what the next ingredient will be because I am going to the grocery store today. :(

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oooooh, this will be interesting! We have jicama readily available at every store here, but I only eat it sliced up and raw. I'll be interested in seeing what else can be done with it.

Same here, like a low cal potato chip.

I know darn well SilverSage has some recipes up her sleeve. I'll be traveling for almost a week so that's my excuse for not coming up with anything....

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, thanks, buzz.

hey, nice pattern. quite aprapos.

i've seen jicama in ethnic markets, but never had an interest in making it.

hmm, since it's a shredder, it might go well with unripe mango, lime juice, ginger, garlic, shredded carrots and peppers, and cilantro as a thai type of slaw.

Last edited:

chowhound

Still waiting for Jeff G's dish. He's the one that suggested this ingredient. You would at least think the person who chose the ingredient would make something.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
sorry but I have NEVER cared for jicima! I don't know what it is about it but....um no thanks!

I wish I knew what the next ingredient will be because I am going to the grocery store today. :(
it reminds me of radish and i don't care for radish

buckytom

Grill Master
have you ever had a fresh, just-picked-from-an-organic-garden radish, peeps?

it's peppery, often as hot as if you bit into a peppercorn. but it has a celery like cripsness. finally, an earthy background.

me love radish.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
have you ever had a fresh, just-picked-from-an-organic-garden radish, peeps?

it's peppery, often as hot as if you bit into a peppercorn. but it has a celery like cripsness. finally, an earthy background.

me love radish.
of course!! my mom and i had breakfast in the garden when i was little. we brought out salt and pepper and napkins. pick, rinse with hose, sprinkle with s and pepper and eat!! i just don't like the flavor. my mom was organic everything back in the 60's before it was the norm or the hippie fad!! she had connections to get fresh chicken, cow and horse manure.

buckytom

Grill Master
hey, that's a great idea, peeps. thanks.

my boy and i have grazed through the garden many times, like a coupla hungry deer. making it a proper meal would be fun.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
hey, that's a great idea, peeps. thanks.

my boy and i have grazed through the garden many times, like a coupla hungry deer. making it a proper meal would be fun.
it was fun!! nothing like a sun and dew kissed tomato fresh off the vine!! after we were done in the garden she would pick some male squash flowers and lightly dip in egg wash and a lightly seasoned flour dredge and fry gently in butter. or she would chop the flowers and added to scrambled eggs with grated romano and parm cheese then cook till soft but set with slices of tomato sprinkled with herbs from the garden on the side.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
WHADDAYA SAY WE GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TOPIC..................

THE JICAMA EXPERIMENT

Jicama003.jpg

First, we made the matchstick fries and the Salsa...........

Jicama020.jpg

Jicama024.jpg

The Warden decided to find out how jicama would fly as a pie;

Jicama008.jpg

Jicama012.jpg

Jicama017.jpg

Jicama030.jpg

Main dish is Jicama, Sweet Pepper and Shrimp Stir-Fry

Jicama032.jpg

ALL-IN-ALL, I'M HAPPY TO HAVE ANOTHER BASTION OF CULINARY VIRGINITY FALL, BUT I CAN'T SAY I'LL RUSH BACK OUT FOR MORE OF THOSE ROCKS !!

chowhound

Beautiful, LT! My favorite pic is the first one, the one with the notepad and instruction sheet handy. Exactly how my prep area would have looked :^D
So what what it like? Anything to compare it to? Or more importantly... would you buy it again?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Probably not, chow............ I really liked the matchstick fries and salsa, and the Stir-Fry was tasty, but the Jicama was rock-hard and difficult to soften; and it didn't work well in the pie, even tho' the Warden cooked the slices on the stovetop for like FOREVER before going into the crust...........

Closest thing I can compare it to before cooking is the turnip; after cooking, it's sorta like a potato that isn't done yet...........

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
WHITCHY is not yet set up to post photos, so I'm helping her out.........

WHITCHY's ROASTER JICAMA / VEGGIE FAJITAS W/ SOUR CREAM and CUMIN DIP

dinner11-15-09.jpg

dinner11-15-091.jpg

dinner11-15-092.jpg

Last edited: