Pennsylvania Dutch SCRAPPLE

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
my grandfather and father love this..me well not so much..lol

This is a Pennsylvania Dutch breakfast meat, in case you hadn't heard of it before. It is best sliced thick and fried to a crisp on the outside. The inside will still be soft.

3 pounds pork butt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 cups cornmeal (or use 1 cup buckwheat flour and 1 cup corn meal)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 teaspoons sage
1 1/2 teaspoons savory
1/2 teaspoons mace
2 1/2teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoons white pepper

Boil pork in 4 quarts of water. Pull pork off the bones with your fingers to ensure no bones or fragments are present.
Chop up pork until fairly fine. Sort out any unwanted parts like hard grizzle. Return meat to pot with 3 quarts of the stock and bring to a boil.
Add the herbs.
Slowly add 3 cups cornmeal while stirring briskly. (*5) Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer mixture for about 20 minutes. Pour into loaf pans. Let cool and set. Refrigerate or freeze.
Then we cut the loaves into 1/2 inch thick slices and froze them between papers for easier separation for breakfast.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i cant really describe the texture.. ummmm as wikepedia describes... savory mush but here is what it does look like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

scrapple.jpg

Interesting... does it end up kinda like a cornbread loaf with the pork in it?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I always thought that scrapple had liver in it. Is there another way of making it with liver?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I always thought that scrapple had liver in it. Is there another way of making it with liver?

you are right... it is usually made out of head,heart,liver and other scraps... this is just one that i can actually stomach..lol