Puerco Pibil in Memory of my friend

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
All the spices in this dish have to be ground fresh. Don’t use purchased powdered spices if you want the full flavor of the dish.

I have made this dish twice. The first time I followed the recipe to the letter. It was good. The second time I doubled all the ingredients, except the meat. It was much better. Four hours cooking time was too long the first time, but that could have been my oven. Adjust the temperature according to your oven. I dropped it to 300 the second time with better results. Just remember, it is supposed to be cooked slowly.

Preheat oven 325 degrees (then turn down for actual cooking)

4 to 6 pounds pork butt cut into 2” pieces (don't substitute lean pork, you need the fat to keep it tender and juicy)

Banana leaves

5 tablespoons Annato seeds (http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/annato-seed)

2 tablespoons cumin seed

1 tablespoon black peppercorns

8 whole allspice

½ teaspoon whole cloves

2 – 3 Habanero peppers, chopped (2 are actually enough, unless you want it very hot)

½ cup orange juice

½ cup white vinegar

2 tablespoons salt

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]8 cloves of garlic[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]optional ingredient (from one of my dearest closest friends Hippie Tom who use to live in Oaxaca,Mexico 4 months out of the year, who passed away 2 years ago this month)[/FONT]​
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]chocolate mole - dont ask me how he used it because i never got a chance to ask him, i just remember him sending me to the store to get it..lol

[/FONT]
Baking pan at least 2” deep. You can substitute a large iron skillet for this(i used a circular roasting pan)

The sauce:

juice of 5 limes

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]½ cup tequila
[/FONT]​

How it’s done:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Grind the Annato seed, Cumin seed, Peppercorns, Allspice and cloves to a fine powder.
[/FONT]​

In a blender:

Add the chopped habanero, the orange juice, the vinegar and the powdered spices, and garlic. Blend to a liquid.

Mix the blended liquid with the pork in a large bowl. Make sure to cover each piece.
Line the baking pan with a couple of layers of banana leaves (so the juices don’t leak out). Dump the coated pork into the pan lined with banana leaves. Fold the sides of the banana leaves over the pork. Add more banana leaves on top to seal. Cover with foil, sealing edges tightly. Place in preheated oven. Cook for 4 hours.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Serve with rice and tortillas. Shots of tequila and beer are highly recommended.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]not my pictures but this is what it looks like[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
puerco_pibil.jpg

[/FONT]
puercoplate.jpg

AllenOK

Oh man, that sounds good! I may pick up some banana leaves the next time I go to the Asian grocery store. As far as I know, there's only one grocery store in Tulsa that even carries annatto seeds. I have a packet :)

I just put this on my "Must Make" list.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Oh man, that sounds good! I may pick up some banana leaves the next time I go to the Asian grocery store. As far as I know, there's only one grocery store in Tulsa that even carries annatto seeds. I have a packet :)

I just put this on my "Must Make" list.

you wont be disappointed

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Damn that looks good! I am so glad you are here, love reading your recipes and looking at the pics!

Ralphanator

I made this dish a few months ago following Rodriguez recipe and it came out great for the 1st attempt! Next time I would add a little less nutmeg and Habaneros! A friend of mine at work is from the Yucatan so I took him a plate to see how close it came to the real deal in Mexico and he said it was Spot On and tasted just like what he was use to eating back home! He said the only thing he would have changed was to use a little less Habaneros!