16GB Flash Drive for $16

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OCZ Diesel 16GB USB Flash Drive $15.99 shipped after rebate at Newegg
ocz_OCZUSBDSL16G.jpg
Newegg has the OCZ Diesel 16GB USB Flash Drive at $25.99 - $10 rebate = $15.99 with free shipping. NEWEGG

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Gosh! That is a great price. I have bought 3 flash drives. All from good manufacturers. All of them have failed in the same way. Two of them are lifetime guaranteed. While trying to get that warranty honored I have run into brick walls.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very good deal indeed. I do hate mail in rebates though. And I already have a 16gb corsair that is working fine.
The only thumb drive I've ever had fail went through the washer and dryer. It was DOA. Otherwise I have a 16gb, 8gb and 4gb all working as intended.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Bless you Doc - My 8 GB Corsair died after a month of being carried around in my pocket. My 8 GB SanDisk did the same. I had a 4 GB cheapie that dies. I don't know what it is about me.

They all fail at exactly the same time - The day that I NEED them to move some data. LOL

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bless you Doc - My 8 GB Corsair died after a month of being carried around in my pocket. My 8 GB SanDisk did the same. I had a 4 GB cheapie that dies. I don't know what it is about me.

They all fail at exactly the same time - The day that I NEED them to move some data. LOL

You're not playing around any big electro magnets are you? For them all to fail at the same time sounds fishy ....like something in your environment might be causing them to fail. I'm sure you tried reformatting them, right?

edit it add:
If you meant that as in I always find my keys in the LAST place I look ...then Duh on me. :hide:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I was saying that they all failed at different times, but, the time that it always failed was when I needed it most.

While I have never washed one, I am suspicious of humidity caused by sweat. Possibly static caused by cloths rubbing, etc.

I am just really not sure.

I think they are great and could save a lot of problems for me by carrying a core of drivers and utilities that are helpful.

Andy

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use one to transfer data from my office machine to my home machine nightly. I used to use a CDRW but it is much faster than burning a CDRW and pretty dependable but never carry it on me.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I can't say that Jay - I know people they work well for, just not me. My usage is a bit different as I do field service, so I am "On the road" with it a lot.

Andy

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I carry one in my pocket daily. I move things from one computer to another. Never ever do I have unique data on it. Normally when I carry it from point A to point B, I load whatever I brought on it onto the B machine. So if the thumb drive goes bad I won't loose data. I do keep drivers and utilities on mine also. Comes in very handy. Transporting it does not appear to affect mine at all. One cycle through the washer and dryer and they are toast.

Lefty

Yank
I must be lucky, I had one go thru the wash and dry cycle and it worked. It was a freebie I got from some web site. Go figure.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i use to be that way when it came to electric typewriters in late 80's...i was in school and everytime i touched one, zap it was done...

http://www.electricitycentral.com/articles/staticsparks.htm

pretty good read

YeOldeStonecat

They can last for years....I still have some of my old 64 MEG ones from way back when they were first coming out.

And they can have short life spans...sometimes you run into computers with bum USB ports that cook them. Just a few months ago, I had my favorite ultra small PICO USB drive cooked by a clients computer. I figured my little PICO drive just failed...so I reached for another USB drive I keep in my laptop bag..plug it into the computer..then my client turns to me.."Oh yeah, don't use that USB port..it's bad..it'll cook your drive!".

ARGH!

Key to their life? Here's a question...how many people simply rip them out of their computers USB ports...instead properly going through the "Shutdown/Remove Device" GUI in their systray before removing them? Gotta shut down the power to them first. :oops:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have one with me all the time, too. I keep my secret stuff on it. :brows:

But really, I don't use it for storage just because it's in my purse and lint and other stuff gets in the usb plug part. I figure it could potentially die at any moment. Mostly, I use it to transfer things from one computer to another or to back up stuff when I'm doing and upgrade, etc. Short term stuff. There are dozens of them all over the house and I can only remember 2 or 3 failing.

Andy, it's funny that you kill them. My dad could never wear an analog watch because they would stop within a month. He always used to say it was because in the Navy, he took a big jolt of electricity working on a transformer.

AllenOK

I had a 128 MB Sandisk that I've had for over 4 years. It dissappeared out of my drawer at work a month or two ago. Worked perfectly. Never had an issue with it.

Last year, I bought a 1 GB Lexar. One of my kids got ahold of it a couple months ago, and I found it in pieces on the floor one day.

I now have a "thumb-drive" card reader in my drawer at work, with a 2 GB SD card in it. Said card reader will also read the new SD HC cards, so I could potentially get however big of a card they're making nowadays, and put that in.

Man, when I think about how far pc technology has come since I got my first tower 11 years ago. That thing had TWO HDD's totalling 9.9 GB of space. Heck, you can get thumb drives that have almost TWICE that capacity in a package a little smaller than a pack of gum.