Router - Wireless G or Wireless N?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I typically deal with hardwired connections, but have wireless aspects in my home network, in particular, an IPTV device called Roku which streams video.

After much research and consideration, I see 2 big options “Wireless-G” and “Wireless-N” (and even “Wireless-N+”).

I won’t bore you with the RFCs and whether or not each can live to the claim.

No, just a quick look.

Wireless G can do 54 mega bits per second wirelessly.

Wireless N can do up to 300 meg bits per second wirelessly (if the dual antennas are paired properly).

Ok, here’s the question – what are you connecting to your wireless network, AND, more importantly, what is the speed of your connected pipe?

I’ve got one thing connected wirelessly at this moment, and that is an IPTV device called Roku.

I have a 20 Meg DL pipe coming into the home.

A wireless G router can do 54 meg which is 30 meg more than my pipe.

Again, Wireless G = 54 meg down…….how big is your pipe? I don’t know of anyone with a 50+ meg pipe connection.

What does this mean?

In most applications, the cheaper Wireless G router is all you need. If you have 3 or less devices using your wi-fi (and “wi-fi” really just means wireless these days) network, then the G is fine.

If you have 5, 10, or more devices on your wi-fi network, then you might want to spend the extra money on N.

But as it stands, go the cheaper route and use the G. It can do 54 Meg down, and I’ve yet to see anyone, me included, that has a DL pipe that is beyond 50 meg. So what are you sharing? Other than having a local server to share out to 5 or more connected laps in your home (are you doing that?), you aren’t even getting close to the 54 meg a G can do. No need at all for the N…..or wasting that money.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Keltin.

I mostly use the Netgear N600.

It costs a bit more, but, it does both bands and covers well.

Cisco also has a line of products that are branded Cisco and in between linksys (that they own) and Big Cisco stuff. They have a great line of stuff and support it well. If you think you might nees more range than one router can give the WAP4410 is phenomenal. You could also just use this WAP plugged into your existing wired router to add wireless.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
While I have not gotten my hands on one of these I now am looking for opportunities for them. I used their WAP4410 to light up a big NYC appartment. This is a tricky task because of thick concrete walls. I used tow of them to feed a N600 Netgear router and the whole thing worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps.