Non-stick cookware, the definitive answer...

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
OK folks, I have a set of non-stick cookware and I always hear that "you can't cook this, you can't cook that" with non-stick pans. My set is hard anodized aluminum, NOT teflon coated. It's metal with a hard metal oxide layer on the cooking surface.

The most frequent thing I hear is that you can't get non-stick hot enough to do a good sear on a piece of meat. I've seared meat plenty of times without any problems.

So why is there still this issue with people saying that I can't get non-stick hot enough? Is this a hold over from the teflon coated pans, or is it also true for hard anodized pans?

S.Shepherd

I think it's a hold over from teflon. High temps evidently break down the adhesive that holds the teflon to the aluminium.

.....just how sticky does glue have to be, to stick down something made to be non-stick:shock:

honestly, I'm just about ready just to go old school, and switch to cast iron

buckytom

Grill Master
was it the glue, or the fact that teflon or ptfe, when heated over 550 degrees or thereabouts, begins to release a poisonous gas that will make humans feel sick (the ptfe flu), and kill small birds?

so, anything requiring more heat, as in a sear, should be cooked in ss or cast iron.

or take the birds away from the kitchen and wear scuba gear.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well odds are that hard metal oxide layer is Teflon by another name. I have two non stick fry pans both I use for low heat cooking only by ScanPan such as eggs. Now these are a new system that doesn't use Teflon as are some others but the technology has only been around for a little over a year that I'm aware off. These I might add are the only aluminum pans I own as I don't consider my stainless pans with encapsulated bottoms aluminum.

At any rate most non stick pans finish will eventually break down over time due mostly to the high heat even if they say it is oven safe to 500 degrees. As for safety with using them on high heat the chemical it gives off will kill birds if you happen to have one in your kitchen and cook on high heat or so I've heard. The USDA has said that Teflon is safe and I take their word for it. I have also found a well seasoned cast iron pan is as good as many of the cheaper non sticks on the market right now.

I don't care for full aluminum pans due to the fact the anodized type can be easily scratched. Once scratched they are like the non anodized ones which are subject to some foods causing them to oxidize such as high acid foods like tomatoes.

I haven't used non stick nor aluminum pans in my life until the last year when I purchased the 2 scan pans for my wife.

PanchoHambre

honestly, I'm just about ready just to go old school, and switch to cast iron

oh be careful... that stuff is addictive. I started with a few old Griswolds and my grandmothers old DO and I am now up to my eyeballs in the stuff

I think the hard anodized holds up with heat but you still need to be careful with your tools as you can scratch it off... I am non-careful so I avoid it

leolady

I have not used non-stick cookware since the 1970's! I won't have it in my kitchen.

I use cast iron or enameled cast iron; along with aluminum clad commercial Vollrath stockpots, double boilers, etc.

High Cheese

Saucier
I have one good teflon skillet. I use it mainly for omelettes, but I also use it if I'm not really into cooking dinner. I just throw crap in there so I don't have to worry about sticking or anything.

I made the switch a while ago, you CAN get a decent sear in non-stick, I've done it many times. But you can get a better quality sear in SS or better yet, CI.

My old, no name cast iron pans are pretty much non stick. I use them alot on the grill.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I really like T-Fal the ones with the red dot in the middle. I sometimes use nonstick for health reasons. One can use less fat but you do sacrifice fond.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have hard anodized non-stick but most of the time I just use my cast iron.