What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

Yes - it hardens overnight so you can stack the cookies. This is the one I always use - it's glossy, too.

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. milk
2 tsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp almond extract
paste food coloring as desired

Mix powdered sugar with milk until smooth. Then stir in corn syrup and almond extract until smooth and the icing looks shiny. If it is thicker than you like, add more corn syrup.

You can play with this a lot, Dee. I have subbed orange juice for the milk and it gives a nice zing to the icing. Also, if you get it too thick to spread, just add more milk. It's soft enough for to add sprinkles or decorations for about 15 minutes after you ice the cookies. You can dip cookies completely, if you like. Just make it a little thinner and place them on waxed paper to dry.

Last edited:

Deelady

Oooh thanks FM!!! :D If I don't have almond extract should I use vanilla or just leave it out?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

Yes, you can sub vanilla extract. It will darken the icing very slightly so if you want snow white icing, you should stick to the almond extract, which is clear.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Drop Sugar Cookies

2 1/2 c sifted AP flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 c butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t almond extract
2 T milk
---
Preheat oven to 400°F.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extracts. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Add in milk and beat.

Drop by tablespoonful - about 3 inches apart - onto greased baking sheets.
Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on racks. Makes about 3 dozen.

I iced mine with a simple thinned buttercream frosting, tinted with food colouring, drop a teaspoon of the frosting onto the cooled cookie and spread out verrrrry carefully lol

----
Peanut Butter Cookies
1 c butter
1 c crunchy peanut butter
1 c white sugar
1 c packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 c AP flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
===
Cream together butter, peanut butter and sugars. Beat in eggs.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir into batter. Put batter in refrigerator for 1 hour.
Roll into 1 inch balls and put on baking sheets. Flatten each ball with a fork, making a criss-cross pattern. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for about 10 minutes or until cookies begin to brown. Do not over-bake.

Drizzle with melted chocolate chips. I melted mine in the microwave in a heavy ziplock bag, then cut off the corner to drizzle on the chocolate.
-------------------------

Into containers and ready to deliver tomorrow!
2009-12-08 19-48-20.695.jpg

2009-12-08 19-48-50.263.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Ooh those look lovely, so pretty, Lollie!! Good enough to eat! lol
Gretchen had a green one earlier.. I hope I don't find coloured poop on the carpet lol
I do this for my neighbours every year. I'll add some Hershey Kisses and Starlight Mints and red and green M&M's to the bags.

Thanks Barb.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

Oooooh - those look lovely, Sass! You are a master at icing. Those sugar cookies look perfect. Are you giving some as gifts at work?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Oooooh - those look lovely, Sass! You are a master at icing. Those sugar cookies look perfect. Are you giving some as gifts at work?
Yes, and to some of my neighbours.
By the way, it's easy to get the icing like that if it's thin, and you dip the cookies "face down", then hold them for a second or two that way, then spread it evenly with the back of a spoon toward the center.

suziquzie

I was talked into a batch of caramel corn this morning by a very cute little blonde girl. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be lunch....
Darn those boys are gonna be MAD it was a school day!!! hahahaha

suziquzie

no kidding Terry!
It's 13 degrees and blowing snow and she has me talked into going outside now.
BLAHHHHHHH

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

I remember snow.......I'm glad it's you and not me, though. Does she have those big snow boots? I always loved to see little ones bundled up with those huge boots on, stumbling and slogging through the snow.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Made two loaves of Cinnamon-Raisin (left) and two of Seeded Rye this morning.

P1020306.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Too many cookies to think of..........:shock:........and if I don't get started, nothing will get done.

Mr. Green Jeans

Dipping into grandma's recipe file: black walnut wafers and kolacky's with my raspberry jam and povidle (Pie Susan's recipe) as the filling.

homecook

I baked two loaves of banana bread last night.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 131

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

I'm doing a test run of this year's Christmas bread. It will be what Jeff Hamelman called a 5 seed bread, but it only has 3 seeds :) Flax, pumpkin, and sunflower, as well as oat groats and rye chops. I guess technically, the oats and rye could be considered seeds too. I'll try to post some pictures later.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Here's some pictures. Really hoped that I could get 12 loaves in with room for some kind of vessel to hold water for steam.... didn't work out :-/ Also, I'm still learning about firing the oven. I didn't wait long enough after raking out the coals (really didn't wait much at all) so I burned some of the bottoms... Good thing this was a trial run. That said, I think the crumb turned out well considering they sat in the bannetons over night.

Attachments

• P1040575.JPG
    P1040575.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 120
  • P1040576.JPG
    P1040576.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 122
  • P1040578.JPG
    P1040578.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 120
  • P1040581.JPG
    P1040581.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 127

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Out of curiosity, does your household consume this much bread? I made 4 loaves today and gave away 2 loaves to the priests in the rectory at church. We just don't eat all that much bread, but I enjoy making it and giving it away. Funny, nobody ever says no.:yum:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Same here... but 12 loaves is a lot to give away too :) This was a practice run for Christmas Eve when I'll bake 60 loaves to give away to friends and family (we call it the reindeer run). I've never filled my WFO before so it was a valuable lesson. I'll probably have to do it again next weekend. I was going to start another batch tonight, but it takes a day to expand the sourdough, another day for the dough to ferment, and then proof overnight, so I need two nights followed by a bake. I'm too busy Monday to play, so... next weekend I guess. Part of the test was also to see if the dough could take an all night proof. It flattened a little, but I'll shoot for a cooler temperature next time. I want to spread the job out over two days, one for mixing the dough and shaping, and the next for baking... the back just can't take what it used to ;)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

Lovely loaves you all.
Barb, you just reminded me to buy another loaf pan.:bonk:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

I did?? LOL
Yeah, with your two loaves of nanner bread, it reminded me that I'd used aluminum throw aways at Thanksgiving for my pumpkin bread.
I have one real loaf pan. Now I need another, or several:biggrin:

Deelady

Wow that is alot of bread indeed!! Looks like a factory! They are beautiful! You have some VERY lucky neighbors you guys!!

suziquzie

As soon as I clicked on this thread by timer beeped for Dee's Banana Carrot Bread.... Muffin style :)
Smells good in here!

Deelady

I just made cupcakes for my little one's 3 rd Birthday........OMG I will never frost another cupcake again in my LIFE!!! :bonk: to get the frosting to stay on and not crumble apart....was more work than Thanksgiving Dinner!!! Oy Vey!!

Let me know how you like the muffins Suz!! I just realized I willhave to buy more muffin liners to make those soon!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Me and DW made Barb's Kolachkys. Boy, are they ever flaky and delicious. they are also a pain in the arse to make...at least the first time. I had to call Barb to find out what to do with this semi-frozen ball of dough.:yum::yum: We made apricot, raspberry and strawberry. If you are going to make this, get preserves with chunks of fruit in it, or use the nut filling from the recipe.

P1020315.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.