Taka GC - best Chef's knife in the world?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I started reading the knife recommendations from the knife link that you gave to FF. I found that to be terribly interesting and was amazed at the passion for the edge by the professional chefs. After dating chefs, I have seen a lot of professionals abuse their knives out of sheer frustration or even time constraints. There is a perfectionist streak and a stubbornness in some of the better chefs. About twenty years ago, I even helped create two menus at my boyfriend's restaurant. It was a lot of fun. The restaurant even got a lovely mention in Esquire Magazine. It is too bad that it did not survive. I use to sneak to see my boyfriend and help prep even though it was forboden and I was a huge liability, the owner turned and looked the other way. I was free labor. Ain't love grand?

This was the google search that I did:
http://www.google.com/products?q=10+inc.+left+handed+chef+knife&hl=en

Some of the knives that I saw at the knife forum were aesthetically gorgeous. I still hear Andy's words echo in my head about the importance of how the knife fits one's hand and is weighted properly. I also know that a sharp knife is safer to use than a dull one. When I was given my presents by Andy, I practised chopping by making vegetable soups. It was so much fun! I just don't know about scary sharp--if a professional says scary sharp, that gives me pause. I know knives are meant to be respected.

The wusthof is the cheapest of them all:
http://www.metrokitchen.com/product...rce=froogle&utm_medium=scs&utm_term=WU-4532-L

I also looked at the wusthtof website but they did not show me left-handed knives.
http://www.wusthof.com/en/brochures_download.asp

Just for kicks, I thought I would tell you which knife Andy bought me at Dean's Supply (a restaurant supply store). The Chef's knife is Chicago Cutlery knife made in taiwan. I am comfortable using it as it seems to fit my hand and is weighted correctly for me. The Chinese cleaver came from a wholesale Chinese supermarket and it is made of stainless steel, and says genuine san han nga and it was made in kongmoon china and it has a 3 on it. These were meant to be my starter knives as he wanted to upgrade me from the crap that I had been using. He also bought me an inexpensive sharpener that I could run the blades across. Andy was very practical. I guess I could always buy the same--it was what he suggested--good enough and cheap enough to toss and buy anew.

Andy had the kind of knive kits that I saw on that website but he never took them out because he feared for his wife. She would either ruin them or hurt herself badly. She couldn't even boil water. I wonder who was fortunate enough to get them--perhaps his brother. I know Andy would have wanted them to fall into the hands of someone who knew what they were and how to use them.

Thanks, Buzz. I had read all the other knife threads but there was so many differing opinions and so much specific detail that I got lost in some of it.

Also, thanks for teaching me a new word: "mollydookers"
I had never heard that term for a southpaw before.

I love to learn new things and believe that learning is for life.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The types of steel is where the article got too technical for me but it was an interesting read nonetheless. Thanks, Buzz.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Also, thanks for teaching me a new word: "mollydookers"
I had never heard that term for a southpaw before.

I love to learn new things and believe that learning is for life.

I stumbled upon the term because I'm a wino. The Mollydooker Winery in Australia is producing the world's finest Shiraz available. I've met the vintners, Sarah & Sparky Marquis (both lefties), and am partially responsible for their having set up an importer direct to customer sales site. I'll be posting a thread on that in the Beverages section soon.

I'm glad you're having fun acquiring new knowledge Susan.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
3 things I forgot to include in the original post: :bonk:

1. Blade is dead straight
2. The bevel was dead flat

seems like everything's dying....

3. The balance point is 2 1/4" forward of the handle and with a pinch grip it is slightly blade heavy, but I don't think too much.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I think it would be a good idea for me to read Chad Ward's book.

Highly recommended. I bought two copies, one for my daughter, and one to keep in the house for curious friends. Chad is a frequent contributor at knifeforums.com "In The Kitchen" sub forum and for all his knowledge is still in the learning process the same as the rest of us.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I read about the winery as well. lol! My curiousity will take me just about anywhere. Sometimes it has gotten me in trouble but that was in my youth.

Yes, I was raised with the idea that learning is for life and I believe that keeping one's mind active is important especially since alzheimers and vascular dementia tends to run on both sides of my family.

I saw some really beautiful handles. The different shaped chef knives have me curious. I am going to have to go to a store and see how they feel in my hand. My chef knife has been abused because my mom used it. It never went in the dishwasher but she did soak it. It never rusted but the wood is waterlogged. In part, that is why I am considering a new knife.

S.Shepherd

LOL..about chfs and dull knives from the factory.

There's been a number of heated arguements about "factory" edges.
Some people feels that if "masterX" puts an edge on it, who are you to dare change it !

Then there's the guys who use the knives every day at work. I made a yanagi for the local sushi shop and got it to what I thought was pretty damn sharp-- because of the bevel angle and geometry maybe the sharpest knife I ever made:bb:
Well he took the knife loved it, but said it's going to take a while for him to get the edge the way HE personally likes it:unsure:. Sooo thats when I got the explination.
BTW, I looked at it when he said it as pretty good....

I asked him if he wanted to sharpen all my knives:lol:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Yes, I was raised with the idea that learning is for life and I believe that keeping one's mind active is important especially since alzheimers and vascular dementia tends to run on both sides of my family.
Not to get OT, but have you had genetic testing to find out your APOE genotype? There is a certain genotype that is hereditary and puts one at risk for Alzheimer's and atherosclerosis. The reason for being tested is that if you are at risk by having an APOE 4/4 or 3/4 genotype, there are a lot of things you can do as well as meds to decrease the likelihood you will develop these problems. Here's more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apolipoprotein_E
Since testing is relatively inexpensive, many docs (including Andrew Weil), recommend being tested anonymously ie: don't let your insurance company pay for or know your results. It's illegal for them to use this info against you but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
That is cute, S. Shepherd and you helped me to understand a bit more. I guess it makes sense to want what feels best in your hand and helps you get the job done the easiest especially when you are cutting raw fish. I just didn't know that chefs were trained to sharpen that well and remember my mom telling me that my grandpa would either weekly or every two weeks have his knives sharpened because he fabricated at the restaurant. I saw my grandma use a sharpening steel in her kitchen but I thought that was mainly to keep the blade straight and did not really sharpen.

I really need to read that book and now you all have whetted my appetite. lol

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I just didn't know that chefs were trained to sharpen that well

They aren't Susan. US Culinary schools don't know the first thing about sharpening knives. Anytime delicate cuts are required the blade must be very sharp, and getting an edge that way requires knowledge that thankfully is now readily available on the Internet but somehow has not found its way into academic institutions. US Japanese chefs for the most part do their own sharpening and wouldn't trust the knives to someone else, professional or otherwise.

The knife in this thread made one cut into paper before I took it to the stones and that was just for a curiosity test after seeing what large angles were on the bevels. When I ordered the knife in November I knew then that the first thing I would do is put my own edge on it.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
So, are most knife enthusiasts entralled by the beauty, strength, sharpness, history, make, model etc or are they actually foodies who use them to prep?

I have seen some really beautiful kitchen knives with exquisite handles and even fancy engraving.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The kitchen knives are nearly always purchased to be used. Many other types of knives are strictly for collecting and go untouched in display cases. Art on the wall? Investments? Ya got me. I have had (only three remaining) some knives made by Frank J. Richtig. He made knives that were featured in Ripley's Believe It Or Not because of their ability to be driven through buggy axles and remain sharp. His heat treating secret died with him and his knives have become collector's items. I have one that I will keep, and it will be used occasionally in the kitchen. It was once a 7" slicing knife and the blade was snapped. It is now a carbon copy of one of Richtig's paring knives.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I've been using the Grand Cheff daily a little over a month for about an average of 15 minutes a day. I've done nothing more than touch up the edge; 3 times with the strop and 2 times with a ceramic steel. The edge is not too far off from when I sharpened it. No rolling, and no micro chipping whatsoever (20x loupe). I've done a fair amount of chopping carrots and celery. Edge stability amazes me - something bad should have happened by now but nothing has. I have it sharpened about 6-8 degrees on one side and the tiny factory bevel on the other.

I don't know how this would equate to a commercial kitchen but as far as I'm concerned this knife is a home chef's dream.

Incidentally, I suspected that the Rockwell hardness was probably more around 60 than the factory 58 because of its longevity so I had it tested yesterday by a reliable local company. 57! I'll be damned.