Baked Potatoes with Bush's Baked Beans

Domestic Goddess

If you have the following ingredients on hand, this is a quick, easy meal to throw together. I use a microwave to cook/bake the potatoes, and I heat the can of beans (including the liquid), on top the stove. The reason I heat the canned baked beans, it helps to melt the shredded cheese, plus the heated beans makes this meal taste even better. I love this meal; especially since it's just my husband and I, and I only have to cook/bake two potatoes in the microwave.

Baked Potatoes with Bush's Baked Beans

Bush's Original Baked Beans (one 16-oz. can)
baked potatoes (large in size is good, but use what you have on hand)
pats of butter (which is optional)
salt, season according to taste
black pepper, season according to taste
shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
diced onion (I use red onion)
garnishes: sour cream and fresh chives, finely chopped

Heat the canned beans (including the liquid) on top the stove, while cooking/baking the potatoes in the microwave till they're done/tender.

Top baked potatoes with a pat or two of butter, and if desired, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.

Sprinkle desired amount of shredded cheese on top of the potatoes.

Apply desired amount of the heated baked beans over the shredded cheese.

Top the beans with desired amount of onion. I find the red onion tastes a bit sweet, which I like!

Garnish potatoes with a dollop or two of sour cream, and if desired, also with the fresh chives.

Note: For this recipe, you can use any size potatoes, and as many as you'd like. Large in size is good, but use whatever you have on hand. (The large size potatoes can be quite filling, but they help to make a complete meal, as does the baked beans.) Also if you are making this for more than two people, you may have to use a larger size can of the baked beans. Believe it or not, my husband and I can use a 16-ounce can between the two of us. Topping the potatoes with pats of butter is optional, but I love how the butter melts onto the potatoes, plus it just makes the potatoes taste even better. As for the onions, I prefer to use red onions, but I'm sure you could use green onions (spring onions), and perhaps skip adding the chives all together. I also wanted to mention... I find the Bush's Original Baked Beans, adds a bit of sweetness to the baked potatoes. I noticed that after I took my first bite. And it was quite delish!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
DG, I'm so glad you started a new thread with this recipe! I fear that too many great meals and parts of meals get lost in the Dinner threads!

This sounds marvelous, and something that I would have never thought of myself!'

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

I will definitely try it!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Attachments

• loaded-baked-potato.png
    loaded-baked-potato.png
    491.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Domestic Goddess

I went looking for a picture.

Holy COW, that looks great!!!

Lee

Lee, that's exactly what the baked taters with the beans looks like! I hadn't taken a picture of the recipe myself just yet, and didn't want to post a picture from another site, because of the copyright laws.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
DG, you are absolutely right - it's best not to take chances!

I just added the link to the Bush Bean website where I got the photo!

Thank you!

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
We used to have a stall in the food court at the mall, "The Stuffed Tater" I think it was called......... they were stuffing those taters with all kinds of stuff, and this was, more or less, one of their more popular variations.

I liked the seafood-themed ones !

Another favorite was a Mushroom / Onion stuffed tater, and A "Sloppy Joe" tater.

They even had a Bacon & Fried Egg variation, way before chefs started putting a fried egg on everything....

I think their location is a Chick-Filet now...

Last edited:

Domestic Goddess

Since I am dairy free now I will have to look for new potato topping options besides margarine.
Johnny West, my husband enjoys his baked potatoes topped with Salsa which he makes quite a bit during the Summer/Autumn season, with the tomatoes he plants in his garden. He also adds a can or 2 of (already-drained) black beans as well. While he likes his Salsa with a bit of "heat", he'll make some with less "heat" taste-wise, for me as well.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I never knew the Brits served this "main dish" when it's tea time. A dear friend who was from Devenshite, Great Britain; referred to them as "Potatoes in Jackets".
Yep, it's certainly a main dish often served during high tea/supper time, not to be confused with afternoon tea. Jacket spuds are pretty popular as a go to meal. They're good with tuna and sweet corn as well. The shopping mall in Manchester (The Trafford Centre) has a potato bar, you can get just about any type of filling for a jacket.
I've been to Devonshire/Devon many times.
It's in the south.

Last edited: