Pressure cooker issue I have

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's yet another pressure cooker, called the Nordicware Microwave Tender Cooker.

It is, as we all know, used in the microwave oven. I once thought about getting one, but didn't. ;)

Attachments

• nordic-ware-microwave-tender-cooker.jpg
    nordic-ware-microwave-tender-cooker.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 297

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>What about browning? If I do a pork chop in this little 2QT cooker, will I be able to brown it up nicely?

Shirley you're not serious? right?
a pressure cooker runs in the +5 to +15 psi over atmosphere range, with the associated cooking temperature going up 20-30 degrees F'

212 + 30 Fahrenheit isn't going to brown anything.
think 350-375'F

and added to the exciting detraction of pressure cookers, it's all done in water - which will 'dissolve' anything remotely resembling 'browned' - see 'de-glazing'

which is why so many millions don't do pressure cookers . . .

Shermie

Site Supporter
In most pressure cookers, regular stovetop and electric, you CAN brown things like roast and stew beef before you cook them under pressure.

Not sure about the little Deni though. I looked and didn't see that feature there on the web page.

I believe Mama's Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker allows users to brown meats before pressure cooking them.

Yup, just checked!! Hers can brown meats before pressure cookinhg them.

thegrindre

Well, that puts me back to square one again. It doesn't look like a pressure cooker is something I need. Especially since I don't eat beef.
I guess I'll stick with my good ol' trusty oven. It browns, bakes, broils, roasts, dehumidifies, caramelizes and probably will sterilize sponges, too, and I don't what else. LOL

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well, that puts me back to square one again. It doesn't look like a pressure cooker is something I need. Especially since I don't eat beef.
I guess I'll stick with my good ol' trusty oven. It browns, bakes, broils, roasts, dehumidifies, caramelizes and probably will sterilize sponges, too, and I don't what else. LOL

Do not be so quick to give up the ghost on the pressure cooker.

You can still brown PORK in one. What about the 2-qt stovetop one? :eating2:

thegrindre

Sherm, I've looked into the stove top kind and the heat adjustment is your burner. I have not got a clue on how to heat a stove top pressure cooker properly. Wouldn't even know where to begin.
I have a super energy saver stove. It takes 8 minutes to bring 5 cups of water to a biol.
On all other stoves I ever used, it only took about half that time. 3-4 minutes to biol water.
(I don't see where I'm saving any energy running the burner longer.)
No, a manual pressure cooker is out of the question. I can see me blowing one up in my kitchen especially if nature calls toward the end of cooking.
(At my age, I never know when I'll have to go. I have learned to never trust a fart, though.)

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I think my interest in a pressure cooker has waned as well.

It is definitely possible to brown meat before pressure cooking. If not in the cooker, in a frying pan. After that the cooking process is basically to steam meat. I do not envision a lot of flavor there nor do I think there would be a lot of visual appeal.

I have / had an interest in canning and after I look at the cost of the equipment, I would have to can an awful lot of food to save any money. I do see home canned foods as having better flavor and quality though. Maybe the garage sale circuit.

Oh! By the way, Rick, pressure cookers only build up pressure to a certain point and that pressure is maintained by a pressure relief valve. I am just supposing here, but, I think if you cooked it dry the pressure would go down, if it blew due to a relief valve malfunction, I would rather be in the bathroom than the kitchen anyway.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

It is definitely possible to brown meat before pressure cooking. If not in the cooker, in a frying pan. After that the cooking process is basically to steam meat. I do not envision a lot of flavor there nor do I think there would be a lot of visual appeal.

I have / had an interest in canning and after I look at the cost of the equipment, I would have to can an awful lot of food to save any money. I do see home canned foods as having better flavor and quality though. Maybe the garage sale circuit.

Oh! By the way, Rick, pressure cookers only build up pressure to a certain point and that pressure is maintained by a pressure relief valve. I am just supposing here, but, I think if you cooked it dry the pressure would go down, if it blew due to a relief valve malfunction, I would rather be in the bathroom than the kitchen anyway.
UMMMMMMMM if that happened ANY room would be the bathroom!! It would scare the ............. right outta me!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherm, I've looked into the stove top kind and the heat adjustment is your burner. I have not got a clue on how to heat a stove top pressure cooker properly. Wouldn't even know where to begin.
I have a super energy saver stove. It takes 8 minutes to bring 5 cups of water to a biol.
On all other stoves I ever used, it only took about half that time. 3-4 minutes to biol water.
(I don't see where I'm saving any energy running the burner longer.)
No, a manual pressure cooker is out of the question. I can see me blowing one up in my kitchen especially if nature calls toward the end of cooking.
(At my age, I never know when I'll have to go. I have learned to never trust a fart, though.)

Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker before, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even trying to learn more about them, they'll quickly assume the wrong things about them. And one automatically assumes that the worst is about to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear about one having blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with Underwriters' Labratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other comsumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.

In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarrantee!

And if nature calls during the time that the unit is in use, then just turn the burner down a little until you came back to the stove. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how many times nature has called while I was cooking something in any of my 3 pressure cookers!!! You['l be fine. But if you still feel that the cute li'l Deni unit might work for you, then by all means, go for it!!

You CAN improvise however, by browing the meat in a skillet before putting it in the pressure cooker. I'll help you if you decide to get the Deni unit. I'll be new at using an electric one. My manual ones are safe to use, and I keep them that way. :clap: :agree:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter

There is a safety release valve built into the lid on all pressure cookers. This is usually a little rubber thingy or a metal valve covering a hole in the lid.

If the pressure were to go too far above the recommended 15psi (pounds per square inch), then the safety valve will automatically activate, safely releasing the pressure to eliminate the thing from being in danger of "blowing up".

This is one of the safety features that help maintain the unit's integrity and safey. Of course, you'll have to try to find out why the pressure went too high. One answer could be that the vent pipe might have clogged, or the burner was set too high.

And once the safety valve has been activated, you'll have to order a new one before you can ever use the cooker again. ;)

Shermie

Site Supporter
Ummmm, but, it is still steamed meat.

Yes you're right.

But the sole benefits of browning the meat first, such as with a pot roast, is to sear in the natual juices of the meat that would otherwise come out of the meat and leave it tasting like it has no flavor.

Those juices might come out of the meat during pressure cooking, but they help season the liquid in which the meat is cooking, which in turn, goes back into the meat by the super-heated steam forcing the juices back into the meat. Regular plain boiling does not and cannot do that in such short cooking times. This is why cheaper cuts of meat are most suitable for pressure cooking.

Pressure cooking, just like slow cooking, helps to tame and soften the meat by tenderizing the tough fibers and connective tissues that are often the case with cheaper inexpensive budget cuts of meat.

The trick here, as you already know, is to apply about ten x the steam and heat to be able to penetrate and soften the meat, reducing the cooking time by about 1/3 or 1/2.

Pressure cooking helps seal in the moisture of the meat, veggies or whatever you are cooking, retaining those precious vitamins and minerals beneficial to your health, that are normally lost during regular boiling in an ordinary pot.

The result is often a more flavorful and palatable cheap roast, chicken or stew that is pleasing to the taste and much easier to chew. Besides, browing the meat also helps flavor and brown the gravy, which gets its flavor from the brown particles that are at the bottom of the cooker. :clap: :eating2:

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
pressure cooker mishaps come in two major categories:

catastrophic failures:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZX-Nudix68[/ame]
http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979414155

and "high pressure leaks":
http://www.workingauthor.com/the-pressure-cooker-disaster

the bayonet lock aluminum "old hand-me-downs" are now, due to age and metal fatigue, seriously at risk. if the locking mechanism failure/fractures/breaks the lid comes off with rather more force than you want to be around.

the high pressure leaks make a mess - it's the more common 'mishap' by far - people don't replace the gaskets/seals, the safety plug blows out due to age or malfunction, and suddenly the whole room is decorated with "pot juice"

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thank God that nothing like that has happened to me!!! Knock on wood!

I take good care of my pressure cookers - all three of them. And I always check to make sure that there are no loose fittings or looser connections with the knobs, bayonet backets, vent pipe, worn out and hard cracked gaskets and other things.

It is my honest believe that the guy in the 2nd story might have filled his cooker with too much meat and liquid. Pressure cookers don't normally just give up or malfunction without some sort of neglegence. It should NEVER be filled more than 3/4 full with anything!!

Last week, I wanted to pressure cook a smoked shoulder picnic. I had thought about doing it in one of the smaller pressure cookers, but then thought to myself that the meat was too big, so I used my 16-qt presto pressure canner for the job. Had I used one of the smaller ones for the meat, then I more than likely would have been met by the same disaster!!

I cooked black-eye peas in one of the smaller ones.

I'm in no way trying to brag, nor am I claiming to be an expert at everything, but I valued my welfare, life and well being. So natually, I pay strict attention in every detail to what all goes on with everything that I use anywhere in the house!!

thegrindre

I think I'll leave this kitchen gadget alone. I'm not really seeing any definite advantage here over what could happen.

Thanks, everybody.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
You welcome, buddy! If you change your mind, please let us know. We'll help you choose the right one.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a funny looking pressure cooker! I think it comes in different sizes.

I've seen Alton Brown use one on his show Good Eats. :laugh:

Attachments

• Futura_Spare_Parts.jpg
    Futura_Spare_Parts.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 443

thegrindre

Sears has one for $50. Sears also has the little Deni, too.
How much is 2 liters compared to 2 quarts?
I'm an old fart who uses cups and quarts and feet and inches. I'm not changing this late in my life.
Let the younger generation do it.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I made an excellent Saffron Mushroom Risotto in the pressure cooker.

080611_saffron_rice.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
First off credit where credit is due. Peeps GREAt meal, can I stop by for a taste? LOL

Sherm - I hate to be difficult.

Sherman said:
But the sole benefits of browning the meat first, such as with a pot roast, is to sear in the natural juices of the meat that would otherwise come out of the meat and leave it tasting like it has no flavor.

Searing meat does not seal in the juices. Searing is to jump start the maiilard reaction, which is what gives the meat the flavor.

http://sciencegeist.net/the-maillard-reaction/

thegrindre

Can't argue that point with you, Adillo. That's been an old 'wives tale' for many years, searing or browning to keep the juices in.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sears has one for $50. Sears also has the little Deni, too.
How much is 2 liters compared to 2 quarts?
I'm an old fart who uses cups and quarts and feet and inches. I'm not changing this late in my life.
Let the younger generation do it.

So, are you rethinking again about getting the li'l Deni from Sears?

I, also, use cups & qts, as well as feet and inches to measure stuff. Like you said, let the kids do that in meters, milimeters and metrics!! :thankyou:

thegrindre

I was thinking the same thing. Although, that dish is probably very good, it doesn't look very good to me. I don't care for mushy rice or rice pudding either.

No, Sherm, I'm dumping the idea of a pressure cooker. I don't think pressure steamed pork will be very good and is probably why there isn't but a handful of pork recipes around.

Nope, so far you guys haven't convinced me that a pressure cooker or a microwave oven is better then my ol' handy dandy stove.

Shermie

Site Supporter
First off credit where credit is due. Peeps GREAt meal, can I stop by for a taste? LOL

Sherm - I hate to be difficult.

Searing meat does not seal in the juices. Searing is to jump start the maiilard reaction, which is what gives the meat the flavor.

http://sciencegeist.net/the-maillard-reaction/

Same thing, isn't it, I thought?

Then why do appliances and cookware co's state that? Why do they say "The oven or cookware will quickly sear in the natural juices of the meat" in the product that they are advertising?

You hear that a lot in those imfomercials when a convection oven or over countertop appliance is being demonstrated.

Is it false advertising just to fool the consumers into thinking that, in hopes that they'll immediately pick up the phone or go online to order the thing? Especially in the New Wave convection oven and the Ninja slow cooker ads.

It DOES carmelize the meat, gives it flavor and flavors the liquid for gravy.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Cook a steak, most any way you like, sear it first.

Put it on a plate and let it set.

I am pretty sure that juice will run out as it sits there a bit.

If the steak was "sealed" nothing would come out.

Try this link

Or one from this google

It is the Maillard reaction that gives the meat it's flavor. The searing kick starts that reaction.

I am really not trying to be difficult Sherm, sorry if I come off that way.

Andy

Shermie

Site Supporter
Cook a steak, most any way you like, sear it first.

Put it on a plate and let it set.

I am pretty sure that juice will run out as it sits there a bit.

If the steak was "sealed" nothing would come out.

Try this link

Or one from this google

It is the Maillard reaction that gives the meat it's flavor. The searing kick starts that reaction.

I am really not trying to be difficult Sherm, sorry if I come off that way.

Andy

No problem.

They also tell you not to cut into a steaik or roast imediately after it's cooked, or the juices could quickly run out and dry out the meat.

Do you find any truth to that at all as well? :ohmy:

Last edited: