Scanpan CTX review

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now I only have a need for 2 non stick pans in an 8" to 9" and a 10" to 12". I've never been big on non stick pans due to their short life spans and inability to handle high heats due to PFOA, easily warped, and once scratched consider unsafe so I usually purchasing cheap pans that I considered disposable. Now with all Scanpans made in the last 2 years they are guaranteed to be PFOA free. So about 20 months ago I purchased an 8" and 11" fry pan in their Pro line due to the handles that I like better than their Classic line. They still look like the day I bought them after daily use by my wife the pot killer. Now these pans aren't induction ready and other induction ready non stick pans aren't much better than the junk pans I used to buy at much more money.

Now on to the review of the CTX line I purchased due to them being induction ready in early November. Well they have the same shaped handle as on the Pro which drew me to those in the first place. They are also a multi-clad design like the Pro are but they are from outside in 18/0 Stainless Steel, an aluminum alloy, Pure aluminum, aluminum alloy, 18/10 Stainless, ceramic titanium and then the non stick surface.

Now first impression of them is the weight in that they are heavier than the Pro. This is understandable in that the Pro being an aluminum alloy, Pure aluminum, aluminum alloy, ceramic titanium and non stick layers multi-clad which made them a bit heavier than most single layer aluminum non stick pans I had used. Another thing different is the cooking instruction I got with the pans. The Pro line said to add fats such as butter etc to the pan then heat up while the CTX says to heat pan then add fats like most other cookware. It also said not to use a aerosol type oil such a Pam but that was also true with all other non sticks I've seen.

These pans are as perfectly finished as any pan I've ever owned but then the 8" pan cost as much as the 8" and 11" Pros did combined, and this is at a seriously discounted price for previous customers signed up for early release.

The non stick surface looks the same as on the Pro line as that seems to be their standard green finish ceramic titanium and non stick surface. I've cooked with them now for a month and they still look new but time will tell. I've actually put under the broiler (rated oven safe to 500°) as well as cooked on high with them and they seem to handle is just as good as my stainless or cast iron does. They do clean easily and nothing has stuck to them at all, even making an a fried egg in a dry pan doesn't stick nor did in my Pro pans either. They are also dishwasher safe though I wouldn't consider that something I would do myself to any pot or pan.

These come with a life time warranty with a few caveats such as graying of the finish color (can change over time though didn't on my pros and haven't on these). They also will not cover abusive damage such as dented pans or obvious abused pans pretty much like All-Clad or any other manufacturer out there. Other than the price which is up there with All-Clad and many other makers top of the line, these are really great pans. I justified them by all the non sticks I've throw away thought the years with the Pro line lasting me twice as long as any other non stick I've ever owned and still going strong.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Make sure that the ones you get have a long strong warranty against flaking and peeling of the non-stick surface.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I think the ceramic titanium finish on the scan pans stops that from happening as I know a few others with the older classic line and no reports of it happening. Most also use metal utensils with them all the time while I do use a metal fish spatula with mine I mostly prefer wood even with my stainless steel and cast iron stuff.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually use the non stick for limited dishes such as eggs (a no brainier on that as they are great egg pans), but I like to sear fish and such in non stick also. Steaks I prefer stainless or cast iron for the most part as I use oil/butter with those. Fish, scallops and shrimp for example I use little to no oil in most cases. I also love the fact that I don't worry about going from the top of the stove to the oven to finish large fillets of fish. This is why I have little need of more than two sizes and one type of pan. I also actually love cooking with stainless steel pans and find them very easy to keep clean and sear every bit as good as cast iron. They are also great for high acid foods such as tomatoes or citrus reductions etc.

Shermie

Site Supporter
About the only drawback associated with using non-stick cookware is that you can't use metal utensils with it. You must use either wood or nylon utensils with it.

And if any food is allowed to dry on, you have to use a PLASTIC scouring pad because again, the surface would be damaged with metal pads.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I will tell you these pans regardless of the line can handle metal utensils of any kind short of a grinder. As for food dried on it I simply let the pan cool then use hot soapy water and it all comes right out with out scouring as nothing really sticks to the surface of these pans. They truely are non stick as I often simply crack an couple of eggs into the pan with nothing else and fry them. Within a second you can pick up the pan and the egg slides with nothing left behind. It just doesn't get any better than that. I highly recommend their classic or pro line for those that don't use induction stoves.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Ok, of you say so, but sorry, I'm from Missouri.

Not that I don't believe you, but some co's will say anything.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well 18 months of using their pans with not a single scratch in the non stick surface or any appearance of a flaw in the finish has convinced me. Now keep in mind my wife will grab this pan for almost all her on top of stove cooking and she will use a fork to work eggs and a steel butter spreader to melt the butter in a pan. Now she can ruin the usual non stick surface in a week without trouble while these she has yet to do anything too. Now I wonder how many years they will last period not months but based on what others that have them have said they haven't reported a single problem with the non stick surface. I might add that many of the non sticks I've had in the past including on All-Clad stainless I tried started to lose its non stick ability after a very short time while these haven't. The do warn that it can discolor in it turning a lighter shade but I've not seen that either with these but that did happen with the All-Clad which is just Teflon on stainless steel. I recommend next time you need a non stick pan get a small scan pan classic in 8" to 12" and try it yourself. Those are fairly reasonable especially if you can get a few years of use out of them.

I got my CTX from here http://www.scanpancookware.com/ but still not shown as of yet unless one signs up though the other lines are. They might be found a bit cheaper this time a year at Chef's or Amazon on sale. Another that is similar is Black Diamond both of which are from Denmark.