CI Skillet

chowhound

Wow. That sure cleaned up well.
But now you have to start all those years of seasoning it by cooking with it...
How long before it's black again? ;^)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes just wash it real good with soap and water then dry it before seasoning. Then use lard, oil or what ever you like to season it and it should be good to go. The ginder/sandpaper ect isn't necessary in most cases unless the stuff is really built up as the oven cleaner does the job 90% of the time.

homecook

This is my go-to pan. I use it constantly so it won't be a problem, hopefully it won't take too terribly long. lol

Maybe I'll make BLT's for dinner tonight........

homecook

Thanks Joe! Yes, I did wash it really well and dried it!

You guys are the best!!! Thank you so much for all your help! I couldn't have done it without you all walking me through this.........I really appreciate it!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i have a question. i always wash, heat and wipe down my CI with veg or canola oil. but it sometimes becomes tack. should i use some of the old plain crisco instead? i read somewhere that crisco won't get tacky, is that a fact? and i rarely wipe down the outside but it never rusts. do i have to/or should i wipe down the outside after every use?

chowhound

If it's becoming tacky you are using too much oil. I went through the exact same thing many moon ago. I drop maybe 1/2 Tbs of veg oil in my 10" skillet, let it heat for a while, then wipe out with a paper towel. Sometimes I give the outside a rub with the same paper towel, but not often. You shouldn't see any pooling of oil.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
If it's becoming tacky you are using too much oil. I went through the exact same thing many moon ago. I drop maybe 1/2 Tbs of veg oil in my 10" skillet, let it heat for a while, then wipe out with a paper towel. Sometimes I give the outside a rub with the same paper towel, but not often. You shouldn't see any pooling of oil.
actually i heat the pan empty for a minute or just till heated then i put oil on a wad of paper towel and wipe the pan down till it has a shine.

chowhound

And it still gets tacky?
No idea then. I just know what worked for me.
Maybe yours needs totally reseasoned, too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
When I wash the pan is already hot so I simply hit it with a bit of hot water while on the stove then use a plastic brush and rinse putting it back on the stove still hot and let it dry. I have never added oil etc after this and I have one has needed re-seasoning it 20 years so far. I do the out side only when I season a fresh pan and just keep it clean after that. I do the same exact thing with my carbon steel woks but do add a touch of peanut oil to the interior after washing them and back on the stove top for a couple of minutes then wipe out with a paper towel. One of these is 15 years without a reasoning also.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Usually if it gets tacky, you had just a tad too much oil and it’s building up, but not in the desired “polymerized” way. When it gets sticky, try heating it up till it’s smoking. Let it smoke just a bit, and then carefully wipe it out.

Most of the time with my Outdoor DO, I just apply the oil cold, toss in a paper towel, apply the lid and then put it up. The DO gets used about once a month, so it sits there and slowly absorbs that oil just fine.

For my skillet that I use regularly, I heat them up when it’s time to cook, and add a tad of oil and swirl it, then cook. Once cooking is done, I wash with water, towel dry, and put it away. About once a month or so, I’ll reheat it after the towel dry, apply some oil while it’s on high heat, then let it cool and then put it away. Works for me.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
When I wash the pan is already hot so I simply hit it with a bit of hot water while on the stove then use a plastic brush and rinse putting it back on the stove still hot and let it dry. I have never added oil etc after this and I have one has needed re-seasoning it 20 years so far. I do the out side only when I season a fresh pan and just keep it clean after that. I do the same exact thing with my carbon steel woks but do add a touch of peanut oil to the interior after washing them and back on the stove top for a couple of minutes then wipe out with a paper towel. One of these is 15 years without a reasoning also.
i have alot of 20 year old CI and none has never rusted or needed reseasoning. it just gets tacky sometimes.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i use my 10" with lid, 12" ( i need to get a lid for that one) and my stovetop grill/griddle alot. i have alot that i don't use as often.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
My skillet is a Lodge and is almost 7 years old.
It said it was pre-seasoned when I bought it.
I have been taking care of it just as my grandma took care of hers.
Washing well, drying it well over a low flame on the stove top, then wiping the inside with oil and storing it covered.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
i have alot of 20 year old CI and none has never rusted or needed reseasoning. it just gets tacky sometimes.

I do too but the only oil I add is if I'm cooking something in it that needs it. After I rinse clean I simply let it heat till dry then cool and put away. Only my woks do I oil before putting away and their I might just wipe down with a oiled paper towel. Never have had one get tacky on me.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
My skillet is a Lodge and is almost 7 years old.
It said it was pre-seasoned when I bought it.
I have been taking care of it just as my grandma took care of hers.
Washing well, drying it well over a low flame on the stove top, then wiping the inside with oil and storing it covered.
yup thats how i do mine also. i also keep my most used in the oven. after i turn the broiler or oven off the CI goes right in the hot oven. i never have a problem but once in awhile.

most of mine say lodge but i have a few i got that were made for cracker barrel to sell and they have the cracker barrel logo on the bottom.

gotta go cook be back later.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If I'm not mistaken the cracker barrel ones are also made by Lodge. I have a son that has a couple that I've reasoned for him as his wife insists on cleaning them after they go cold with hot soapy water hence season every few months.

homecook

Here's the finished product......the pics I took inside made it look orange which it isn't. It came out great! I took these outside.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 122

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes now in a couple of months it will be as non stick as any brand new teflon pan as well as allowing much more heat.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome! That looks wonderful! This really turned out great! I'm impressed. Good job!

FryBoy

i have a question. i always wash, heat and wipe down my CI with veg or canola oil. but it sometimes becomes tack. should i use some of the old plain crisco instead? i read somewhere that crisco won't get tacky, is that a fact? and i rarely wipe down the outside but it never rusts. do i have to/or should i wipe down the outside after every use?
One other thing -- do NOT use cooking oil sprays -- that stuff is like glue, especially on non-stick pans.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
One other thing -- do NOT use cooking oil sprays -- that stuff is like glue, especially on non-stick pans.
i have a Misto oil sprayer that i put my own oil in.

but no one answered the question. is regular blue can crisco good for seasoning CI?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i have a Misto oil sprayer that i put my own oil in.

but no one answered the question. is regular blue can crisco good for seasoning CI?

It's excellent! Some say the best (or one of the best) and place it high above liquid oils.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I love this pic series. So, I put them all together so we can all see the awesome transformation easily. Excellent job Barb!! :clap:

ci1.jpg

ci2.jpg

ci3.jpg

ci4.jpg

ci5.jpg

ci6.jpg

ci7.jpg

ci8.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Keltin. It sure was a big difference!!

I think it's utterly awesome. You did a great job! I was so inspired that I spent lunch scouring ebay for old CI I can recondition. Got a couple of bids in! :lol:

homecook

LOL.........I think I'll wait a while before I do another one of these. Oh, I just thought of another one I have that's been packed away in a bin from the cabins. I'll have to pull that out and see what I can do to it. lol

Hopefully you'll just have to use the oven cleaner and some elbow grease like I did. :mrgreen: