CI Skillet

FryBoy

Yeah, thanks. I thought it was Lodge, but I bought it so long ago I wasn't sure, and I thought it strange that it has no brand at all on it. But I'm still puzzled about the smooth surface on the ones in the photo -- I don't think I've ever seen that in the stores.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Too much heat will take of the seasoning but only requires it to be reapplied unless allowed to rust which it will do. Oils such as peanut or canola (I don't recommend using olive or vegetable oils due to lower smoke points) will work, but I personally prefer lard (bacon grease basically is the same thing buy the way). With something like a charcoal setup it can get a lot hotter than many might think and is capable of burning off the seasoning. Soap will remove it for sure over time and all of mine said not to wash with dish soap but to put hot water in a scrub with a brush only. I have several that I do use often including Lodge (rougher finish than others but no difference in cooking), Wagner's, Griswold's and other brands such as Emerilware, and some no names showing. None of mine have rush showing anywhere including the handles with the Wagner's and Griswold's coming from my grandmother when she said they got to heavy for her to handle.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, thanks. I thought it was Lodge, but I bought it so long ago I wasn't sure, and I thought it strange that it has no brand at all on it. But I'm still puzzled about the smooth surface on the ones in the photo -- I don't think I've ever seen that in the stores.

It seems back in the old days, Lodge milled or ground the inside of the skillets to make them very smooth. The olders ones were also thinner. These days, it appears they no longer do that, thus the rougher finish. One post had an email from Lodge saying they quit polishing in 1997.

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1235091509

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The email came from Lodge Customer Service, and they said they stopped polishing in 1997. I'd take it as that was when they utterly stopped, but not to say they didn't make units prior to then that were not polished. The point being, it seems to be well known that, way back when, Lodge did an "inside grind" on the skillets to make them smooth. I'd imagine it's cheaper for them to not do that.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The email came from Lodge Customer Service, and they said they stopped polishing in 1997. I'd take it as that was when they utterly stopped, but not to say they didn't make units prior to then that were not polished. The point being, it seems to be well known that, way back when, Lodage did an "inside grind" on the skillets to make them smooth. I'd imagine it's cheaper for them to not do that.

I think I read this on their site as well Keltin. I have used them all including a couple of new Lodge pans and to be honest notice no difference in non sticking ability or cooking for that matter at all.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't know what causes the seasoning to bubble up like that, Barb, but I do know you can sand CI. I've done it several times (on CI that has rusted) and it works great. A dremel will work fine. I use a small, orbital hand sander. It will take it down to a silvery, brand new condition. Then you just season it like a new skillet.

phreak

I know you hardly need any more advice, but if it were me I would just fry some chicken in it (with peanut oil of course), or make a bunch of bacon, one can never have too much bacon.

homecook

Ok, here is phase one.

Last night I sprayed the entire inside of the skillet with oven cleaner, put it in a garbage bag and left it til this morning.
I took it out, rinsed it out and used some elbow grease with a steel wool pad. Wow, what a difference already.
I re-sprayed it, bagged it and may keep it til tomorrow. Whatever doesn't come off I'll use the dremel on.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 110

FryBoy

The email came from Lodge Customer Service, and they said they stopped polishing in 1997. I'd take it as that was when they utterly stopped, but not to say they didn't make units prior to then that were not polished. The point being, it seems to be well known that, way back when, Lodge did an "inside grind" on the skillets to make them smooth. I'd imagine it's cheaper for them to not do that.
I understood the post as being from someone who was relating what she remembered Lodge saying in an e-mail she received sometime earlier. Not exactly what I consider to be a reliable source.

In any case, I found another post on that site that listed the "codes" on Lodge pans (e.g., SK = skillet), and it indicated that some of their products were smooth, some not, so perhaps the 1997 date is accurate. That is, at one time Lodge made both, but at some point they began making only the rough version.

I wonder if the rough version might be better at keeping the seasoning intact.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, it's coming along nicely Barb! Just a few steps away from being brand new! Awesome!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I understood the post as being from someone who was relating what she remembered Lodge saying in an e-mail she received sometime earlier. Not exactly what I consider to be a reliable source.

In any case, I found another post on that site that listed the "codes" on Lodge pans (e.g., SK = skillet), and it indicated that some of their products were smooth, some not, so perhaps the 1997 date is accurate. That is, at one time Lodge made both, but at some point they began making only the rough version.

I wonder if the rough version might be better at keeping the seasoning intact.
i have read somewhere and i have no idea where as it was a long time ago but .................. a rough surface is better because the seasoning gets into the grooves and holds the seasoning better. like for example when they rough up or "grade" a road surface before laying down a layer of tar or pavement.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is a shame you live so far from me HC I could finish that up for you in about 5 minutes using a disk grinder with a wire brush. Perhaps your husband or a son in law might have one. Sure does save some time cleaning a pan like that.

High Cheese

Saucier
Those first pics look like it was scraped with something metal. I'd be doing the same thing as you, starting from scratch. PanchoHambre has restored alot of CI.

homecook

I have a Dremel with a wire brush attachment. I will probably be using it tomorrow after some more of the gunk comes off. lol

I am really more capable of doing it myself than having DH, son or sil doing it. :wink:

HC......I don't remember ever using metal in this pan. I don't even own any metal utensils.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I agree that when you sand or dremel it, you should not work down to the finest grit for your skillet. Just use the coarse abrasive and it will take of the old seasoning but still leave enough nooks and crannies to allow you to build up a good seasoning again easily. I sanded the cast iron grill that fits over my burners on my stove because apparently it had never been used and has been stored in a damp place so it was rusty. That I sanded pretty smooth, so it took a few coatings of oil to season well. But skillets I always sand just to the rough stage.

homecook

Ok gang.....phase 2. I did the same thing as phase 1. Holy moly!!

All I have to do now is season it........

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 103

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow! That is with just 2 passes with the oven cleaner?? That's more impressive than I had first thought! Incredible! Can't wait to see how it looks with the new seasoning! Awesome job!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Looks like it to me. In the picture, at the 3 O'Clock postion, there looks like there might be just a tiny bit of roughage left that you can scrape or sand off? Other than that, it looks ready to go.

You might want to give it one more sanding before you start just to make sure no rust is trying to set in.

homecook

I know it looks rough there but it's not. It's really smooth all over. No bumps or anything. lol I'll give it one more going over with the steel wool and then start to season.

Thanks!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome! Can't wait to see this. I'm a bit envious of you! Maybe it's me, but there is something fun about seasoning CI......I'm weird , right?

homecook

No, because I think this is pretty cool!! I love doing stuff like this, taking it from what it looked like a couple days ago to what it looks like now.

Soooooooooo maybe I'm weird too?? LOL