Finally...a new stove!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have been searching for weeks for a new stove and finally settled on one. My old stove is 15+ years old...you have to light one of the burners manually and the oven seems to have a mind of it's own...works when it wants to at whatever temperature it thinks is best. So we decided it was time to put the old girl to rest. I can't complain...she's been a good one.

I'd love to have one of those big "gourmet" stoves but I just have a small kitchen and can't afford $5000 for a stove so Here's the new one...we got it for $500 under the MSRP. It will be delivered Friday. I'm sooooooo excited! I've wanted a convection oven for a long time! :clap:

homecook

Yeah Mama!! I'm happy for you......glad you were able to get what you wanted!!

We just got a new stovetop and oven last year. I know what you're talking about with a mind of it's own.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Barb! Did you get a convection oven? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks Andy and Jim!

Nice Joe! I've never used an induction cook top. I've only ever had gas and electric and I much prefer gas. This stove has two ovens but I doubt I'll use the lower oven much outside of the holidays. The one thing I don't like about it is the lower oven is supposed to take 30 minutes to preheat.

chowhound

Wow.... I haven't priced stoves lately, that's for sure.
Nice stove, but why so expensive? Is it the convection oven? I've been wanting a new stove for a long time. The one I have was a housewarming present from my parents and has a broiler I'll never use. I don't do floor broilers (lol). Looking at your stove Mama has me thinking I'll die using the one I have (lol).

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That is an amazing stove, Mama. You will love the convection option. I use convection for baking and the results are exceptional. And since you are a fantastic cook - you will be thrilled with it. I'm drooling over the lower oven - I would use that a lot. Also the middle burner. Congratulations, Mama.

homecook

Nope, just standard gas.....this house is over 30 years old and that's how old the stovetop/oven was, it's a built in. Unless I gutted the whole kitchen I had to basically go with the old model that they make for these situations. It's small!! I would have loved to get a bigger oven though.

FooD

Congratulations on your new stove!

Our cooktop will needs replacing soon. It's an old Thermador 36" island cooktop, about 30 years old. The electronic ignition is shot and the gas is weak. I'd like to replace it with something that burns much hotter so I can put a wok on it and cook fast.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Good for you! Looks like you got a good deal. We experienced "sticker shock" about a year ago when we replaced some appliances. I lived with a non-self-cleaning oven for about 12 years, and I hated that sucker. I have convection, but mine is electric. I like it for cooking large pieces of meat/poultry but don't use it for much of anything else (not a baker). Have fun with it!

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Thanks Andy and Jim!

Nice Joe! I've never used an induction cook top. I've only ever had gas and electric and I much prefer gas. This stove has two ovens but I doubt I'll use the lower oven much outside of the holidays. The one thing I don't like about it is the lower oven is supposed to take 30 minutes to preheat.

Induction is different than both electric and gas in that not all pans can be used. Cast Iron even enamel works fine as does stainless as long as it can be magnetized will work but copper and aluminum won't. The pan is all that heats up not the stove top. It is also much faster than both gas or electric, for example I have an electric now and a 7 qt stock pot filled with cold tap water. It will come to a roll boil in 18 minutes on the electric and 7 on my induction counter top which is half the power of the electric. Gas is a bit slower than the electric for boiling water. The induction is also based on the pan's heat so if I turn it down to 150 degrees it goes their almost immediately unlike either gas or electric and holds it constant.

Induction works with magnetic fields so it is more efficient than either gas or electric as well as requiring much less electric. Most of the cook tops can boil 8qts of water from cold to a roll boil in about 90 seconds which also speeds up cooking times. The main draw back is the pans as I said earlier not all will work with it though there are a couple that will sense that and switch to straight electric such as the hybrid models by Electrolux. I don't have the problem since I use induction ready pans as is including my old cast iron.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all! I'm REALLY excited....I hide it well though :lol:

congrats on the purchase, mama ...
those are excellent appliances ..

I thought the same thing Q. We did a lot of research on the internet for complaints before we made a decision on which stove to buy. I think it was the right one.

Wow.... I haven't priced stoves lately, that's for sure.
Nice stove, but why so expensive? Is it the convection oven? I've been wanting a new stove for a long time. The one I have was a housewarming present from my parents and has a broiler I'll never use. I don't do floor broilers (lol). Looking at your stove Mama has me thinking I'll die using the one I have (lol).

Yea....Chow...it's some serious sticker shock. You can still get a basic stove pretty cheap but I really wanted the convection feature and the fifth burner and I don't want to have to replace it for a LONG time. I really didn't want to spend the money either but it just got to the a point where the aggravation of trying to use something that only works half-assed wasn't worth it anymore.

That is an amazing stove, Mama. You will love the convection option. I use convection for baking and the results are exceptional. And since you are a fantastic cook - you will be thrilled with it. I'm drooling over the lower oven - I would use that a lot. Also the middle burner. Congratulations, Mama.

I think that second oven and fifth burner are going to come in REAL handy during the holidays.

I think I'm really gonna like having that temperature probe built right in the oven too. The one I have now I have to sit on the counter and I always seem to knock it off.

Good for you! Looks like you got a good deal. We experienced "sticker shock" about a year ago when we replaced some appliances. I lived with a non-self-cleaning oven for about 12 years, and I hated that sucker. I have convection, but mine is electric. I like it for cooking large pieces of meat/poultry but don't use it for much of anything else (not a baker). Have fun with it!

I think we went to EVERY major appliance store in Atlanta and haggled the price before we finally got what we feel is the best price.

Induction is different than both electric and gas in that not all pans can be used. Cast Iron even enamel works fine as does stainless as long as it can be magnetized will work but copper and aluminum won't. The pan is all that heats up not the stove top. It is also much faster than both gas or electric, for example I have an electric now and a 7 qt stock pot filled with cold tap water. It will come to a roll boil in 18 minutes on the electric and 7 on my induction counter top which is half the power of the electric. Gas is a bit slower than the electric for boiling water. The induction is also based on the pan's heat so if I turn it down to 150 degrees it goes their almost immediately unlike either gas or electric and holds it constant.

Induction works with magnetic fields so it is more efficient than either gas or electric as well as requiring much less electric. Most of the cook tops can boil 8qts of water from cold to a roll boil in about 90 seconds which also speeds up cooking times. The main draw back is the pans as I said earlier not all will work with it though there are a couple that will sense that and switch to straight electric such as the hybrid models by Electrolux. I don't have the problem since I use induction ready pans as is including my old cast iron.

I don't know if it will work as fast at boiling water as an induction Joe but it has a "Power Boil" burner for "rapid boil" with 18,000BTU's...not sure exactly what that means but it sounds impressive :lol:.

chowhound

My simple stove has one of those power burners. It does seem to bring a pot of water to a boil quickly.... but along with the power burner came a simmer burner, which is just about useless to cook anything that requires some real heat. I might as well hold a Zippo under the pan ;^) So basically I have three burners to use.
Your stove having five burners has that little problem covered I'm sure.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know if it will work as fast at boiling water as an induction Joe but it has a "Power Boil" burner for "rapid boil" with 18,000BTU's...not sure exactly what that means but it sounds impressive :lol:.

It will probably boil 8qts of water in about 15 to 18 minutes as that is what my power boil setting does on my electric. Electric is more efficient at boiling pots of water than gas but gas is better and more quickly changing the temp. Induction handles both features better than either in that for sauces at low heats it can't be beat by either or high heats for frying, searing etc. It is also constant in it heat so no up and down as with electric nor wasted energy with gas.

Oh and I'm not trying to talk you out of gas as that was my choice till I found out about induction but has since changed. Induction will also go higher in heats than either gas or electric as well as lower both at constant heats.

homecook

My simple stove has one of those power burners. It does seem to bring a pot of water to a boil quickly.... but along with the power burner came a simmer burner, which is just about useless to cook anything that requires some real heat. I might as well hold a Zippo under the pan ;^) So basically I have three burners to use.
Your stove having five burners has that little problem covered I'm sure.

I've got the same thing chow!! I just use the simmer burner if I want to keep something warm.....that's all it's good for.

chowhound

I've got the same thing chow!! I just use the simmer burner if I want to keep something warm.....that's all it's good for.

My perfect burner would have the gas more evenly distributed no matter what size pan you use. Why does gas need to come out in a single ring? Let it come out in two or three rings. Maybe a dual control knob that controls the heat on the outer ring for large pots and pans when you need it and you can leave it turned off if you don't. Geez, how hard is that? Then you don't need to worry so much about even heat distribution in your pans.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My 2 front burners have a special little simmer thingy in the middle and I use it all the time for rice. But the 2 back burners are high capacity. I wish they were reversed because I'm usually using big skillets with the high heat and they hit the back of the stove so I can't center them properly on the burner.

chowhound

Oh I hate when that happens! Why can't they make the back of the stove a little further away from the burner?
Well, I guess they do for commercial type stoves.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh I hate when that happens! Why can't they make the back of the stove a little further away from the burner?
Well, I guess they do for commercial type stoves.
After reading all these posts - I'm thinking we could provide some very valuable input into the design process. Wouldn't it be great?

Hey, how about if I write to GE and Sears and some of the other major manufacturers and offer NCT members as a test cooks. It would be awesome advertising for them, they'd get serious input about what works and what needs to be changed, and maybe we'd get great stoves out of it!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sounds great FM! :w00t2:

And, Yes Andy...cornbread, biscuits, cookies, cakes, breads, chicken, turkey, roasts....:lol: