Knife sales?

S.Shepherd

Yeah, I remember you saying that earlier.
So will it become flat with normal layman's sharpening methods? Will it need "helped" with a coarser grit? My coarsest stone is the Medium India stone that came with my kit.

There's nothing wrong with uber flat bevels.;)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I remember you saying that earlier.
So will it become flat with normal layman's sharpening methods? Will it need "helped" with a coarser grit? My coarsest stone is the Medium India stone that came with my kit.

Been awhile since I've use anything but waterstones. I see that can of oil in the picture background. :eek: I used to use a set of three Arkansas stones but sold them off. You'll just have to try and see what happens.

In the beginning, the convex grind should last for a long time requiring only very light steeling (hopefully with a fine ceramic steel). You'll find out if you need a coarser stone when removal of the convex round portion begins.

The Tourist

Banned
I don't thin my bevels for the first few times I re-sharpen them, unless it's for a client's request.

All of my knives from Japanese suppliers come with a V-grind edge, or that 30/70 type with a 'hollow grind' on the obverse side.

One of the main reasons clients seek out a Japanese style knife is for precise, razor thin cuts which provide superior food presentation.

They've had Chicago Cutlery, Pampered Chef, Wustoff and the Boston Store, and now they want something "very nice."

Many times I hear the argument that other edges are good for rough work and wet rope. That is your choice in the end.

However I just bought a knife used by The Navy and Coast Guard, and I cannot think of organizations that are harder on knives and probably cut more wet rope. Their knives are V-grind.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree Chico. I don't thin until the knife starts to bind a bit then I do the thinning adding a micro bevel to keep the edge strength.

The Tourist

Banned
I agree Chico. I don't thin until the knife starts to bind a bit then I do the thinning adding a micro bevel to keep the edge strength.

I also figure it this way. The knife must have had some sort of designer or master polisher before it left the factory.

Yikes, who am I to tell Ichiro Hattori anything?

But after a few light polishings, I get a 'feel' for the knife.

BTW, speaking of Mr. Hattori, my wife uses his knife for everything, and I mean everything. I've touched it up a few times.

My wife has diced four pineapple in one sitting--rinds and all. She has used the tip to pierce the plastic packaging on food. She slices tomatoes, she chops everything.

My Hattori retains its same factory angle. I figure he put it there after years of empirical observation.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a couple myself both the HD and FH series. Never could bring myself to buy the KD though a bit out of my price range.

The Tourist

Banned
I have a couple myself both the HD and FH series. Never could bring myself to buy the KD though a bit out of my price range.

I'm saving my pennies. And you know, I get a good chunk off.

However recent events made me re-think the idea, and the rush is off, but the penny jar keeps getting filled....

Oh, and JoeC, when/if that day ever comes--and we're both still alive--I'm going to send you a pic with a big stupid grin!

CharlieD

Hey, sharpening dudes, ;) I have a question. I dropped my sushi knife the other day, stupid clumzy me, :oops:of course it fell with the sharp side down. I've never sharpened one sided ( so to speak) knife. How should I proceed to fix it? The very tip got band and the edge also doesn't look strait.

The Tourist

Banned
Hey, sharpening dudes, ;) I have a question. I dropped my sushi knife the other day, stupid clumzy me, :oops:of course it fell with the sharp side down. I've never sharpened one sided ( so to speak) knife. How should I proceed to fix it? The very tip got band and the edge also doesn't look strait.

Contact me PM.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Speaking of knives, got an email from Phil Wilson yesterday, it's my turn !!!! Been waiting a year. He's going to make me a 9.5 inch S90V in his Shelter Cove model with ambroya burl handle. This is destined for my barbecue competitions, trimming briskets. Sharpening wise, I'm not going to bust my ass on this one.... Dave's gonna have to deal with it :whistle:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I figured your adopted kid would get stuck with it Warren. :shock: He is going to want to be disowned when he is done with it also. :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a Butch blade in s30v that is a bear also. All I can say about it is it doesn't need it often and it is small.

S.Shepherd

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb2DVOycK1c[/ame]

one of the many youtube videos on it

MikeStewart

I have a Butch blade in s30v that is a bear also. All I can say about it is it doesn't need it often and it is small.

CPM S90V is far more Abrasion Resistant than CPM S30V.

I'm sure I could hand Sharpen one but I can't think of any reason I would ever want to do that.

Mike

The Tourist

Banned

Did any of the literature that came with the knife give you info on the Rc?

I have several Grahams with an HT from Bos, and mundane EP stones easily sharepn and polish that alloy.