Which would you buy? Santoku or Gyutoh Knife?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
My knives showed up in Vancouver on Friday.
Yippee, that means I should have them this week in time for FRANKEN PANTRY VIII!

I hope they cleared Canadian customs with little fuss. I've done a lot of eBay selling and it always bugs me when all the paperwork (USA to Canada) needs filling out. I'm from North Dakota originally and you can transport combat tanks across the border unnoticed in that region.

LETHAL GTS

LOL no kidding, I'm here in Winnipeg and we have a lot of wide open spaces.
It appears as though it has cleared customs.
Thanks

LETHAL GTS

Well I received my knives today, but they sent me the wrong Gyuto!
They sent me the 210mm with the flower instead of the 240mm with the dragon engraving! :censored:
I sent an email to find out what steps need to be taken. What a pain in the you know what.
Oh well, other than that, my santoku looks pretty darn good.

LETHAL GTS

I decided to keep the Gyuto they sent me by mistake and ordered this knife as well as a couple wet stones. I've got the bug...
Inazuma by JCK
Img1187.jpg
What do you think of this knife IN-5

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh well GTS get prepared to spend and spend on knives. I had a 5 year spending spree before I finally said enough. I have actually gone back to the basic 2 knife setup I used for 30 years, a Chinese cleaver and a paring knife though both are high end from JCK and others. I still own about 50 kitchen knives though. It can be an addiction especially when one goes nuts on sharpening stuff too.. :wink:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oh oh. The word is smitten. lol

I'm with Joe. There is a difference between going all out and going overboard but the line is difficult to see until your storage areas are full of blades. Cripes, I've got as much in stones as a lot of people have in kitchen appliances. It gets a little crazy. I'm going to be eBaying a few knives soon because I simply cannot get enough use out of them. I have my favs and I really don't need four of every kind of knife.

LETHAL, be careful out there...... :yum:

LETHAL GTS

Hey Buzz, what do you think of that last knife I bought?
I gotta be honest here when I say, I bought mainly for the bling factor.
But it looks like a pretty good knife, Swedish steel etc..

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Buzz, what do you think of that last knife I bought?
I gotta be honest here when I say, I bought mainly for the bling factor.
But it looks like a pretty good knife, Swedish steel etc..

From JCK:
Now we are ready to introduce another fine new products "JCK INAZUMA" made of Sandvic Sweden Steel 19C27 core (HRC60) forged with Nickel and Stainless Damascus steel blade. The Nickel alloy material makes additional layers of total 45, and beautiful and deep impact of White Layers on the Damascus blade.

Here's your cutting edge steel: Sandvik Data

Rest assured you have purchased a knife made of one of the top knife steels on the planet. The only question now is blade geometry and I don't know a thing about the Inazuma products.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
19C27 - Industrial knives for plastic/ synthetic fibres, paper etc.

C 0.95
Si 0.4
Mn 0.7
P 0.025
S 0.010
Cr 13.5
Mo -

13C26 - same as the Uddeholm AEB-L in my Sakai Takayuki AND my new Devin Thomas

Razor blades, scalpels, industrial knives, doctor blades

C 0.68
Si 0.4
Mn 0.7
P 0.025
S 0.010
Cr 13
Mo -

German knives labeled "high carbon steel" are usually around .5% as opposed to the heavy duty .95% in 19C27. High carbon is a good thing because it's the carbon that does the cutting. Notice that 19C27 has 13.5% chromium. The recognized industry standard for "stainless" is a minimum of 13% free chromium. Much more than that is overkill, degrades cutting ability, and is much better suited for butter knives.

Hope this helps and I think you're gonna love your new Gyuto. :)

LETHAL GTS

Here is a pic of my new favorite knife. Thanks for all your help everyone. I sure learned a lot about knives in a short period of time.

Attachments

• IMG_5086.jpg
    IMG_5086.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_5089.jpg
    IMG_5089.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 490

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now you need to get a good board from Dave at the BoardSmith which is well worth the money. I've actually bought four boards for him 3 for me and one for a son last Christmas.

LETHAL GTS

That's my smallest board, but ya I would like something much larger.
I'll try and google Boardsmith.
thanks

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Now you need to get a good board from Dave at the BoardSmith which is well worth the money. I've actually bought four boards for him 3 for me and one for a son last Christmas.

Agrred. End grain cutting boards by Dave are superb.