Viante Electric Pasta Maker

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have one of THESE.

Guess they don't sell the red electric one now.

Attachments

• Pasta Maker..jpg
    Pasta Maker..jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 906
Dose anyone have one of these? or should i get the rollers for my KA mixer.

Viante Electric Pasta Maker

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/26335-viante-electric-pasta-maker.aspx

youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0J8SQhzs90

I have the hand-crank rollers, from Imperia, for many years; & prefer it to automatic pasta machines.

About a decade ago, Ron Popeil (sp) came out with an automatic pasta machine. The info-mercial was very impressive - 10 machines going at once, & all extruding different flavors of pasta (even chocolate), & several different dies of every shape & size.

I picked one up, for about $50 (new), at a discount store, & gave it a try. Very disappointed. The motor was super loud, smelled like burning rubber, the pasta barely extruded (about 2" at a time, & then broke off). I followed the directions to a "T", but the pasta never did turn out like the commercial/demo.

Never heard of that brand, so I did some poking around on the www. There's only one (positive) review. Also noticed (from the pic) that with that brand/model you can't really see the dough mixing, as you can with the 'clear' constructed machines.

I really wanted the machine work, but it didn't deliver. More research on the www, showed the top 3 rated machines on Amazon (that brand was not mentioned). Even the top-rated machine (different brand) had the same problems I encountered.

Maybe, after 10 years, the motor & product has improved. You could always give it a try, and return, to HSN. Their return policy is very good. I might check out ebay & amazon, & go with a brand that has been well-reviewed.

Good luck Guts. If you give it a whirl, & it really deivers/works let us know.

Last edited:

Guts

I have the hand-crank rollers, from Imperia, for many years; & prefer it to automatic pasta machines.

About a decade ago, Ron Popeil (sp) came out with an automatic pasta machine. The info-mercial was very impressive - 10 machines going at once, & all extruding different flavors of pasta (even chocolate), & several different dies of every shape & size.

I picked one up, for about $50 (new), at a discount store, & gave it a try. Very disappointed. The motor was super loud, smelled like burning rubber, the pasta barely extruded (about 2" at a time, & then broke off). I followed the directions to a "T", but the pasta never did turn out like the commercial/demo.

Never heard of that brand, so I did some poking around on the www. There's only one (positive) review. Also noticed (from the pic) that with that brand/model you can't really see the dough mixing, as you can with the 'clear' constructed machines.

I really wanted the machine work, but it didn't deliver. More research on the www, showed the top 3 rated machines on Amazon (that brand was not mentioned). Even the top-rated machine (different brand) had the same problems I encountered.

Maybe, after 10 years, the motor & product has improved. You could always give it a try, and return, to HSN. Their return policy is very good. I might check out ebay & amazon, & go with a brand that has been well-reviewed.

Good luck Guts. If you give it a whirl, & it really deivers/works let us know.

thank you for the replies... new question same subject kinda

Now that's what I was looking for. This machine looks like a plastic nightmare to me. I was looking for the possibility that someone might have one. I first saw it in the new Chefs catalog. I don't think I want a hand crank model, maybe the title of the post should have been motorized pasta roller like the KA type, that's the way I have been leaning. With all the good cooks here, I would think someone would have one of these.

like this one;

http://www.katom.com/449-KPRA.html

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I have the KA pasta extruder doohickie
I have the KSA pasta rollers.
junk - all junk.

save grief - stick thee thyself with the hand crank style machines. (there are some with a motor attachment)

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I used to have the KA pasta extruder thingie, too. I used it once and gave it away. I once owned ALL the KA doohickies and gave them all away. The KA is a wonderful mixer/kneader, but that's what is does best. Period.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think that you both hit the nail right on the head!

True, the K'Aid attachments all seemto be flimsily-made these days!!

After that episode of hell with that ill-fated grinder attachment, I swore off getting any attachment for either of my two KA Stand Mixers for fear that it wouldn't work and might kill the machines!!

Chow, the hand crank units DO ALL have the option open to be able to use the optional motor attachment, BTW, which I thought about getting.

Guts

looks like I should rethink this some more. I just don't want to clamp anything down to the counter or hand crank while trying to feed dough thru the rollers. Maybe the ones with a motor hold themselves down, I will have to check them out. I have the meat grinder and use it on the KA mixer with no problems at all, I like it and would recommend it to anyone. that attachment has ground many hams , pork roast, and beef also with no problems.
Thanks for the replies
Kim

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here is what you might be looking for. The motor simply fits where the handle normally goes. You can check it out here.

elecpastamachine.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's the motor attachment for MY machine - the Weston Brand.

It can also be used for the Weston Brand Tomato Crusher. Replaces the hand crank on BOTH machines. Cost is less than $60.

I'm seriously thinking about getting it!

Attachments

• PGT-10101_728200692536.jpg
    PGT-10101_728200692536.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 759

Guts

I'm going to go out and look at some of these, a hands on thing to see how sturdy they are made.
tks for the links they were very helpfull.
Kim

Guts

This is my very first try at making pasta. semolina flour eggs water oil salt. Going to cook some tonight.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 792
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 779
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 794
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg