1-1/2 TBLreal bacon bits
1/2 TBL brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp molasses
1 tsp dried, minced onion
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp pepper

Combine the ingredients (except beans) in a small jar, cover, and
refrigerate at least a 1/2 hour (this allows the flavors to blend).

At "bean" time, empty the can of beans into a small saucepan, and stir in
the pre-made mixture.
Over low-medium heat, bring to a
simmer, stirring occasionally. When heated through, serve.

Last edited:

chowhound

Manwhich sauce? Is there anything that can't be added to baked beans? lol
Which is your favorite one to gussy up? I've taken to buying the Country Style. I like the Grillin' one, too, but it's pricier and in a smaller can. If I'm going to be doctoring beans up, I want the larger can so I can get a few meals out of it.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Uh, Oh !

THX, Chow; I meant to type "Country-Style"...........
I'll fix it.............
Have a CT scan scheduled for this morning, and I'm flying on empty, caffine-wise...........
This recipe doubles with no problem..........

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
BTW- have you seen Bush's Chili-style beans ??
I've heard a co-worker speak of them but have not seen them yet..............

chowhound

Don't thank me, I hadn't noticed what you even typed. I was just saying that I try to stick with the country style for no other reason than they have too many damn flavors (lol). And I haven't seen the chili ones yet. How many flavors do we need ;^)

Remember the first can of beans that came "pre-doctored"? The first that I remember anyway. Big John's beans or something? It had a lumberjack-type guy smiling on the can and had bigger chunks of onion and stuff inside the can. Plus molasses or something sweet. I don't even think they make it anymore.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
yep; Big John's........

Big John's Beans 'N Fixin's has been discontinued by ConAgra Foods, I'm not sure exactly when...............

chowhound

That's odd. It seems like there was Campbells, then there was Big John's if you wanted more flavor. I suppose the folks 30 years ago didn't get into buying "specialty" products like they do now. I can't remember the last time I bought Campbells baked beans, and since I doctor them up anyway, that's kinda dumb now that I think about it (lol).

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I remember, back in 1967-68, I was already dumping all kinds of stuff in Campbell's....
(Bachelor days)
I had a pretty good one-pot-meal that had browned ground beef, corn, onions, and what-all I can't even remember at this late date; but I DO remember it was great........