Baked Beans

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I posted this one a while back but here it is again.

Now these can also be done in a smoker but I do mine in the oven being a side dish. The spice mix with this is great for many other things such as pork, beef or lamb.

JACK'S Peach BBQ Beans

8 Strips of Bacon, cut into 1" pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 #10 can backed beans (recommend Bush's)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (Your favorite brand)
3 cups canned peach pie filling
2 table spoons Jack's Old South BBQ rub, recipe below

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (can be done in the smoker also)
Heat a large skillet over medium heat, Add the bacon and cook, stirring, untill somewhat crispy and its fat has rendered. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plat to drain. Leave the fat in the skillet.
Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Tran fer the mixture to a large baking pan.
Add the bacon, beans, pie filling, barbecue sauce and rub to pan. Mix to combine and bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 1 hour.

Jack's Old South BBQ Rub

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika ( I use hot)
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

Combine all and mix well. Yields about 3/4 cup

smoke king

Banned
You know, a while back someone mentioned Peach Pie filling in baked beans, and I kind of forgot about it. It sounds pretty good to me-I'm writing it down this time!!

Thanks Joe!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I did post this here a while back but reposted it here. The peach pie filling is something that is unbelievable in the taste it imparts into the beans. It really is excellent without being too sweet.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've made baked beans for years but this is one I can't make enough off when I make it. Seems regardless of the meats and rest of the side dishes this is always gone.

GrillinFool

I make a pretty basic baked beans recipe on the grill. If it's 4 people or under I just use a calphalon pot (metal handle). If it's more than 4 I use a disposable tin pan.

Basically, I start in the kitchen with olive oil in a pan (or the pot I will use if less than 4 people) and saute a bunch of garlic. Then I throw in some brown sugar, maybe some syrups or molasses. Basically whatever I have available. I let that cook down for a bit and (if using a tin transfer to tin and then add the rest of the ingredients), add just basic baked beans, sometimes the grocery store brand as I'm kicking them up anyway, and cover the entire surface of the beans with 1 inch squares of bacon.

I put this on the smoker for about 3 hours. So about when I am foiling spares I put these on. When the bacon is cooked they are done. I stir the bacon in with the beans and serve.

I think I want to try the pie filling though. I had heard of Apple, but not peach. I an see both being great....