I judged a grilling competition yesterday!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Every year, the Northeast BBQ Society (NEBS) sponsors a grilling competition in the early, cool months of the season, called the Snowshoe Grilling competition. When I saw the categories advertised online for this year’s contest (WOW!), and in the hopes of touching bases with BBQ buds I haven’t seen since I retired from the circuit years ago, I sent in my application to be a judge for this contest.

Yesterday was a chilly, windy day at the VFW in Whitman, MA – as almost always, the weather conditions contributed to the challenges of outdoor competition cooking. Since I was going to judge, I couldn’t “fraternize” with any of the teams as they cooked, for fear that I would recognize the entries once they were placed in front of me to judge (it’s blind judging – we don’t know who cooks what).

The cooks must prepare their entries using charcoal and/or wood as fuel – no gas or electric cookers. They must present 6 portions for each category.This year’s four categories were Pizza, Bacon-Wrapped, Burgers, and Chef’s Choice.The aroma in the air in that parking lot was magnificent!

We weren’t allowed to take photos of the entries, not that any of the judges would upload photos to the internet before the judging was over, but …..

There were 2 tables of six judges, for 11 teams, meaning each judge would sample either 5 or 6 entries in each category. Even if you take only one bite of each entry, it’s a LOT of food!

Pizza entries included a BLT pizza, one with bacon, smoked gouda and carmelized onions, and a cheeseburger pizza. All pretty good – none remarkable.

Some of the Bacon-Wrapped entries were extremely creative! Bacon-wrapped macaroni and cheese (beautifully presented, but bland) and Bacon-wrapped faux sushi, and the more traditional Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp and Scallops.Oddly enough for me, the shrimp was my favorite.

All the Burger entries were beef burgers, I think. One had some hot sausage in there, I believe. Some were regular-sized burgers cut in half, and some were sliders. I was kind of hoping to get maybe a salmon burger or lamb burger, but maybe the other judging table got one of those.They were all more well-done than I’d like, but all were juicy and flavorful, just none outstanding.

Chef’s Choice ran the gamut from desserts (trifle of fruit and chocolate cake, a crème brullee, a chocolate cookie sandwich with peanut butter, banana and bacon filling) to rack of lamb with anchovy pesto. The latter was my favorite.Some of us were very skeptical that some of the teams misunderstood the rules about GRILLING their Chef’s Choice entry and may have knocked off a point or two, accordingly.

I did get to see some of my old buddies, who warmly welcomed me back after so many years. Made me feel great!And I had a ball!
And I was stuffed!

I brought home some leftovers (only one of the Chef’s Choice desserts – a spectacular warm cinnamon roll with a brown sugar glaze, topped with chopped bacon) and cut off the bitten parts, and warmed them up for my friend, Kathy to try. Unfortunately, I tossed the pizza leftovers before I realized I could take some home.

So, I didn’t have dinner last night, Kathy ate her fill of leftovers, I had my fill for lunch today, and I STILL have another lunch’s worth, LOL!

A wonderful day!

Attachments

• Snowshoe teams 1.JPG
    Snowshoe teams 1.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Snowshoe teams 2.JPG
    Snowshoe teams 2.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Snowshoe teams 3.JPG
    Snowshoe teams 3.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Snowshoe VFW pond.JPG
    Snowshoe VFW pond.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Snowshoe leftovers.JPG
    Snowshoe leftovers.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 63
K

Kimchee

That sounds like fun, no matter how the food turns out. Might be fun to compete in a contest like that.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree, sounds like a blast. Judging like that can put pressure on you for sure. For me it would be hard to completely get a previous taste completely out of my mouth (and brain).
Good pics. Food looks amazing. Thanks so much for sharing Lee!!!!!!! :tiphat:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Great pictures - Lots of different kinds of cookers, great food, and I even spy a pony :). Are you allowed to say which food/foods won?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, in between each entry, we nibble on pieces of saltines and drink water, to try to clear our pallets. I think it works a little, but still it all tastes better the next day, when I get it home to reheat and all the charcoal smell is out of my pores.

For example, the macaroni and cheese wrapped in bacon tasted much better reheated for lunch today. Warmer and meltier. I would have given it better scores if it had come to me hotter than it did on Saturday, and if I hadn't tasted something spicier before it. All those factors enter into the rolls of the dice that cooking competitors have to deal with.

Cooksie, the results of the contest have not been posted as of this afternoon. When they ARE posted, only the team names will be posted. We have no way of knowing which teams cooked which entries.

In the past when I've judged contests, if I go nuts over an entry (a seared tuna comes to mind - the first I'd ever had and I went crazy for it!), I will scout around and ask teams if they cooked it. When I find the right team, I tell them how excellent it was.

Otherwise, I'll never know.

Lee

Johnny West

When one's olfactory nerves are fried with charcoal it ruins the taste for everything for me. The grilled prime rib was case in point. After I burned so much for him, by the time I ate my dinner, couldn't taste anything (except the kimchee lol).