Corn on the Cob

LADawg

The sad news is that the strawberry season at Krupinski’s Farm, ended a couple of weeks ago http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2012/03/krupinski_farm_in_foley_featur.html
They had, and have had for the 5 years that we have lived here, the finest, sweetest strawberries that I have ever eaten.
But, there is good news on the horizon. In the next few days their sweet corn will be coming in. That again is the best that I have ever eaten. Can’t hardly wait. We have only cooked in on the cob, but this year I think I will try it off the cob and make some cream style corn, kind of like the recipe that Mama posted a few days ago.
The reason we have been only cooking it on the cob is because of an easy recipe I got off a web site ran by Dave Lineback named Off The Wall http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/menu.htm
It was good, so I never changed.
Here is how I cook corn on the cob.

DAVE’S CORN
on the COB
2 to 4 Ears Corn, fresh, with shucks removed and de-silked
1/3 Cup Water
Plastic Wrap, as needed
Butter, to taste
Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper, to taste
Place Corn in a microwave safe baking dish and add Water Cover the dish with Plastic Wrap and seal the sides. Place in a microwave and cook on high fro 6 minutes if cooking 2 ears, or 8 to 10 minutes if cooking 4. If the microwave being used does not have a turntable, turn the cooking dish half way during the cooking time.
Remove and let stand for a few minutes before removing the Plastic Wrap. Be very careful in removing the Wrap since steam has built up inside the dish and is very hot.
Spread Butter on the hot Corn, and sprinkle with Salt and Black Pepper to taste.

How do you cook your corn on the cob?:corn:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I steam in microwave - place in plastic container no water added (I find the moisture in the corn itself is enough), cover with a microwave dinner plate cover and microwave about 7 minutes give or take depending on size a quantity.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Wrapped in foil and on the grill:

IMG_2151.jpg

Place the cleaned corn on a piece of foil, season with whatever you like (I use Lawry's seasoned salt, cracked black pepper, and sometimes some garlic powder.), place three pieces of butter on top of the ear of corn, fold the foil down so that the butter is on top and will run down over the corn as it melts, place on the hot part of the grill for some char, finish cooking on the top rack or off to the side. Love the charred bites :corn:

phreak

I like mixing some mayo, chili powder, and Parmesan cheese, slathering the cobs, covering in foil and grilling.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
When we don't have a grill available we do the 3 minutes per cob in the microwave thing.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Guess I am old fashioned. Still boil a pot of water. Might have to try the microwave method.

Me, too, MM - with a little sugar in the water. Six minutes for fresh corn, no matter how many ears you have. Perfect!

Lee

LADawg

I have never it on a charcoal grill. How long do you grill it? Do you turn the corn during the grilling?
I'm going to give it a try.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually shuck it all but the last layer then in the freezer it goes. I do this as I find the corn is much more tender and I follow with boiling. I've never tried it in the microwave but might next time.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Microwave procedure:
1. The only prep is to cut the stem down short enough so that the corn can rotate on the plate without getting hung up. Otherwise, leave everything on.
2. Cook on high, 3 minutes for one ear, 6 minutes for two, 9 minutes for three, etc.
3. Cut the stem end off.
4. Grab the silk end and shake the corn out.

This gal uses 4 minutes instead of 3....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE3SXjTw5Jo[/ame]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You know, Buzz, I've seen that technique half a dozen times and I think this year is the year to try it!

Lee

LADawg

On a whim, I went by Krupinski's late yesterday, and they did have fresh corn. In fact they also had a few strawberries. Bought a couple of ears of corn. This way of cooking corn looks so simple I think I will give it a try today.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have never it on a charcoal grill. How long do you grill it? Do you turn the corn during the grilling?
I'm going to give it a try.
We grill corn all the time and yes we do turn it. We put a little butter on the corn and wrap in foil sealing one end then add a few drops of water in the open end of the foil before sealing. Cook over medium heat and rotate at 7 mins. Mmmm good.

We have also cooked on the grill with the corn still in the shuck. We soak the corn in water an hour or two before cooking. Works okay but I prefer the foil method myself.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Last year, I started grilling my corn "Green". I do absolutely nothing to it. I put it unshucked on the grill. I turn it 1/3 every fifteen minutes. It is located around the outside of my Weber. I find that I get great flavor. I get the same advantage of easy to remove silk that the microwave method gets. I fold the shucks back to use for a holder. slather on butter and any spices and a bit of salt and away I go.

I learned this at one of the craft shows we did. Right next to our tent was a booth that had a cooker kind of like one of those rotary pizza ovens. They put the corn in unshucked and roasted it. They were busy all weekend. We tried one and were sold. Try it, I think you will like it.

Happy eating.

Andy

BTW - For me, can't beat Fresh Jersey "Butter and Sugar" corn (Yellow and White)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you ever cook or grill more corn than you can eat at that meal? I'll guess we all do. We used to cut it off the cob and cook it up for leftovers but my brother suggested trying to eat it on the ear cold. Add butter, salt and pepper to your liking just like when it's hot and eat it cold. I tried it and I like it that way. Surprised me. Sure better than having it go to waste.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I do that too Doc. Great idea. I also grill extra burgers or chicken too. I find them both good cold.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>go to waste?
no way (g)

one of our fav methods for fresh corn is whack off ends, leave in husk, soak in cold water 1-2 hrs, on the grill. actually I'm frequently directed by the Chef of the Chef to make extra _specifically_ for (various) chowders / stews / fritters / whatevers "on the plan".....

the smoky flavor from the grilling is the catch, I suppose....

this year when the local stuff hits it's peak I'm gonna try cutting it off the cob, thin single layer for pseudo-IQF and freeze some.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
All this talking about it had me wanting some. I picked up 4 ears yesterday and made them with some oven roasted haddock loin. Was pretty good but not as nice as picking it fresh from my garden. Want to get some more planted but way too wet after all the recent rain.

K

Kimchee

I soak the unshucked ears in water for an hour or so,
then put them on the grill, high heat. Turn them
1/4 every 4 minutes. Don't get the blackened kernels,
but I prefer it that way.
Just salt and butter, I'm a corn purists, LOL!