Does anybody use embroidery thread????

AllenOK

And no, I'm not really into that. However, I will use the stuff occasionally to tie some flies with.

I've been trying to find an orange metallic embroidery thread. I've been to Micheal's, Hobby Lobby, and Jo-Ann's Fabric. They all have a rainbow of metallic-colored threads, EXCEPT orange.

Does some company even make this color? Or is it some rare dye-lot that won't be produced for awhile?

PanchoHambre

Hi Alan, I am so happy to see you - I enjoy everything you have ever written about food. Sorry I can't help you with the embroidery but i was so curious why you were asking. But I like orange, it is my favorite color, i am sad it is being discriminated against in the world of embroidery, and i really hate going to stores like that looking for something specific and not finding it (like whole foods not having rennet:bonk:) -oh and i am drinking beer and bored with the superbowl I hope this makes sense.:dizzy:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
used that as a kiddo & there were kinda too many shades. we made bracelets & there were many kinds.

AllenOK

Pancho, there's a fly pattern that I tie up to use for fishing. Calls for "orange embroidery thread", which I have and use. That particular fly is rather good for Bluegill and Hybrid Sunfish, as orange is a color they like to hit.

I've been doing some reading, and have learned the aquatic nymphs (which this fly tends to imitate) will often have little bubbles of air trapped under their exoskeleton. Those bubbles tend to look like little diamonds when the bug is underwater. As a result, anything that adds a little sparkle to a pattern can often add a touch of realism to the fly.

Hence, I've been trying to find some of the embroidery thread with the metallic glint to it, for the sparkle. I have something else I could try, but it doesn't give the same effect.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'll dig through my tying stuff and see if I have the color. Used to use a lot of the metallic for stone fly braided bodies. I'll get back to you.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Can't find any embroidery thread, but I did fond a spool of orange floss and fluorescent orange Krystal Flash by Hairline. I used a lot of the flash for winter steelhead patterns because of the iridescent sparkle the flash gives off. That might be an alternative for you.

Joe

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Try a Bernina dealer. Isacord is the brand name and their FB1950 or FB1501 should fill the bill for you.

Leni

I'll check my box and see what I have. You can dye the thread so that might be a possibility. Also take a look at the cone thread that is used on the overlock sewing machines. They have various kinds of thread for embroidery or fancy stitching.

I just went up on Google. Typed in metalic orange embroidery thread. Came up with several hits. www.redrockthreads.com was one of them.

Last edited:

Leni

I just had another idea. You might want to check the local yarn shop. I have yarns that are thin, metalic, and orange.

Leni

You can find all kinds of yarns online. All of the yarn companies are on line these days.