Red Grouper today - best ever recipe

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Fantastic day on the water about 40 miles west of Sanibel Island. At the first stop, with five peeps fishing, we had three separate occasions where three fish were hooked up simultaneously.

At stop two we had a huge school of amberjack surrounding the boat. We estimated as many as thirty visible at any given time and they ranged from 20 to 50 pounds. This is a fish we don't want to catch because they fight hard, run all over the place, and tangle lines. They don't eat well either so we dropped the bait to the bottom 80 feet below them. They were down there too so we moved on.

Stop three nothing to write home about. Stop four was the daily workout. I had a jewfish (goliath grouper) take a grouper I was hauling up and after 20 minutes the big guy managed to break the line. We got another one though, about 300 pounds. Too bad they're illegal because they are (I'm told) one of the tastiest fish in the sea....

Oh yeah, the recipe, so simple a monkey could do it.

1. Saute the fillet in brown butter.
2. Deglaze the pan with lemon juice and pour the juice and bits over the fish on the plate.
3. Eat!

That's it. We had never previously deglazed with lemon and the result was the best tasting fish we've ever had so we'll be trying it out on all the different Gulf of Mexico fish I bring home from now on.

pharmerphil

I am jealous also...here in Minnesota...Land of 10,000 lakes...lakes are polluted, Fish are tainted..Frogs grow 5 legs...
What I would give to have access to a freshly caught fish..of any type

phreak

If you ever accidentally land a good sized AJ or two I would be more than happy to take them off your hands...SMOKED AJ SPREAD!!! YUMMMM!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
If you ever accidentally land a good sized AJ or two I would be more than happy to take them off your hands...SMOKED AJ SPREAD!!! YUMMMM!

We give AJs away to the restaurant/bar next door to our dock. I think the mate gets freebie beer as a result.

I was on the water today and dinner tonight is Scamp Grouper, the best of the breed, bar none. Yummo!!!!!!!! :)

chilefarmer

Buzz, sounds like a great time and a great meal. I really like the idea of deglaze the pan with lemon. Good sauce idea. Thanks CF