Zucchini Tart w/Gruyere Cheese and Herbs

homecook

I found this recipe awhile ago and have been meaning to make it. Tonight was the night. It is delicious!! It would make a nice lunch or light dinner with a salad.

http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-tar ... rbs-378799

Ingredients

o 2 lbs fresh zucchini, thinly sliced ( about 6 medium zucchini or 4 cups)
o 1 cup chopped onions
o 1 tablespoon olive oil
o 1 garlic cloves, minced
o 1 teaspoon herbes de provence ( or recipe #376859)
o salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
o 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
o 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
o 2 eggs, beaten
o 1 cup grated gruyere cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, plus a little extra for topping
o 1 (8 ounce) packages crescent roll dough ( or use your favorite shortcrust pastry recipe, see note)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
2. TO MAKE CRUST:.
3. Unfold crescent dough from the tube and press dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of tart pan to form a crust, pressing gently to seal any perforations; spread crust with pesto. (NOTE: If you will be using a shortcrust pastry recipe instead of the crescent roll dough, you will need to blind-bake it before adding the filling).
4. TO MAKE FILLING:.
5. In a large skillet, saute the zucchini, onion, and garlic in the olive oil until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and the herbes de Provence, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cool slightly before stirring in the beaten eggs and cheese.
6. With a slotted spoon, transfer the filling into the prepared tart shell and spread evenly; sprinkle the top with a little extra grated cheese. I transfer the tart to a baking sheet to catch any overflow. Bake at 400 F until set and crust is golden, about 16 to 19 minutes.
7. Remove to a wire rack and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes, before removing sides of pan.
8. TIP: For ease of removal, place the tart on a large can, then carefully pull the sides of the pan down around it (you may need to run a knife around sides of crust to loosen).
9. Slide tart off the bottom portion of the pan onto a rimless serving dish or cutting board (or leave it on the base to serve). Let rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
10. Good served warm, cold or at room temperature.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 152

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, how beautiful, Barb!! That pairing, the zucchini and gruyere sounds wonderful!

Got plenty of zucchini this year, huh? LOL!

Nice job!

Lee

That looks & sounds delicious! Thanks!

Here's another tip for the crust. Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough has become so popular in other applications that Pillsbury now puts it out on its own without the roll perforations. You can find it in the same area where the Crescent Rolls are sold.

homecook

Thank you Mama, Lee, Breezy, and Dee!

Lee, actually I've only gotten 4 zucchini this year. It's not been a good year in the garden out here.....:sad:

Breezy, I've tried those and they're great. I just used the Pillsbury pie dough because that's what I had in the freezer. lol