What's Cooking NCT? Sun 1/3/ to Sat 1/9/2016

Embryodad

Freezer food! That's right! One resolution I made, is "Let's Eat from the freezer!" .... There is a lot of good stuff in the big freezer to allow us to have meals for at least 8 months. Seriously!

First, this smoked ham. I gotta do something with this ham. Maybe ham & bean soup? .... Ham casserole with potatoes?? .... We shall see.:smile:

Saliha

^^ I should do the same. It´s shame how much food I have in the freezer but many times it just stays there until it´s too late to eat it and it needs to throw away. The most there are berries but surely there are a lot of other foods too.

:mellow: Ok, the new year´s resolution: I will check the freezer before I go to shop.

Today´s meal:

sJZdGFb.jpg

Pork and beans with tomato-chili sauce (with macaroni).

Johnny West

Today is leftover seafood chowder and think it better than when it was first made. I added a jar of raw oysters today.

Embryodad

The meal was 3 3/4 inch fillet steaks. Pan fried and buttered to brown.
Ate it with a dry bagel as a pusher!

Tina had toast for supper. She can't kick that cold she has!.... Dr. for her tomorrow!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Pancakes and bacon at the diner for brunch after church this morning, then straight to work from there.
Dinner was picking around off the salad bar over at the assisted living center.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Roasted chicken with roasted red and yellow potato, mushrooms, onion and broccoli as the sides.

Embryodad

Toast and jello for Tina. She finally went to the Dr today. She's got what hundreds of people have.

Me.... I had a can of bean and bacon soup. I'm still hungry though!
Finally got some cold weather to ( as mom would say ) kill the germs. LOL
It's 13ºF out now. Thank Goodness!

Embryodad

Tonight was a can of Progresso clam chowder and a headcheese sandwich.
Wife loves head cheese. Has to have potato chips on the sandwich though.
She likes ham bologna too! She can have it along with her pickled pigs feet, and chickens feet.

Embryodad

I was still hungry, so I made a quick bologna sandwich on light toast, and bread and butter pickle chips on the side..... It hit the spot. Now i'm scrounging around for leftover Christmas cookies.

Johnny West

Wife loves head cheese. Has to have potato chips on the sandwich though.
She likes ham bologna too! She can have it along with her pickled pigs feet, and chickens feet.

Your wife would be one to ride the river with then.

I love pigs feet, ears, snouts, tongues, and blood sausage. It's my Czrch upbringing. I've never had chicken feet but then none were ever offered. :readytoeat:

I had Cape Cod waffle chips on the side for the sandwich but not one to put them in the sandwich.

Is ham bologna a special cold cut where you live?

Embryodad

Your wife would be one to ride the river with then.

I love pigs feet, ears, snouts, tongues, and blood sausage. It's my Czrch upbringing. I've never had chicken feet but then none were ever offered. :readytoeat:

I had Cape Cod waffle chips on the side for the sandwich but not one to put them in the sandwich.

Is ham bologna a special cold cut where you live?

It's a German thing ( the ham bologna ) and Tina gets it at the pork store in NJ.

Tina grew up eating and cooking with her Grandmother and Mother. Her grandmother was a chef :chef: for a rich royal family in Czechoslovakia and she was German and Russian. She married her husband, a Hungarian from Budapest, at 26, and came to America thereafter.

Tina's Grandmother made the best creamed chicken feet. So she says!

They ate a lot of that; and including pork kidneys and chicken gizzards, livers and even the pluck.
I run far far away when she cooks that stuff. LOL

Johnny West

Excellent! Then she would know jaternice and jelita, my favorites.
I hope to make jaternice this week.

Does she make you kolaches and rohlickies?

Embryodad

Excellent! Then she would know jaternice and jelita, my favorites.
I hope to make jaternice this week.

Does she make you kolaches and rohlickies?
Yep! She makes them plus Slovak Cookies. Her dad was a Slovakian, and was a brew master. He was a baker that made the best rye breads ever. His demise was alcohol, and he later worked for Miller Brewery the last few years of his life.

Tina was ill last few weeks, and didn't bake her filled nut rolls and poppy seed rolls.
We all missed them, but soon as she gets well, she will bake them.
She makes some with Lekvar which I love.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
It's a German thing ( the ham bologna ) and Tina gets it at the pork store in NJ.

Tina grew up eating and cooking with her Grandmother and Mother. Her grandmother was a chef :chef: for a rich royal family in Czechoslovakia and she was German and Russian. She married her husband, a Hungarian from Budapest, at 26, and came to America thereafter.

Tina's Grandmother made the best creamed chicken feet. So she says!

They ate a lot of that; and including pork kidneys and chicken gizzards, livers and even the pluck.
I run far far away when she cooks that stuff. LOL
Mom would buy ham Bologna when I was a kid. I loved it. She got it from supermarket but I can't find it. Where does Tina get it?

Johnny West

Yep! She makes them plus Slovak Cookies. Her dad was a Slovakian, and was a brew master. He was a baker that made the best rye breads ever. His demise was alcohol, and he later worked for Miller Brewery the last few years of his life.

Tina was ill last few weeks, and didn't bake her filled nut rolls and poppy seed rolls.
We all missed them, but soon as she gets well, she will bake them.
She makes some with Lekvar which I love.

My dad (and mom) made the best kolaches and apple strudel. My father's demise was the damage smoking did to his heart and glad I quit when I did. We always used to use Solo brand fillings for kolaches but towards the end of his life he started making his own fillings and have his recipes somewhere around here. I've not seen Lekvar around here but will czech the Russian store next time I go to Federal Way. Another favorite here is zelniky cookies. When we lived in Germany I made 6 trips to Czech Republic and miss that a lot. I always ordered traditional food like carp and duck. It was not so commercialized then.

Tonight I will grill oysters and smoked pork chops; coleslaw and baked squash will be the sides.

I'll try to post his kolache recipe at the baking sub forum. I'm sad to say I've never made them myself.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'd like some of that ham bologna and will see if perhaps the Amish market near here has it.
They have lots of different types of cold cuts which are hard to find.

Dinner here was sloppy joes, homemade french fries (or chips, we made them "Brit") in the FryDaddy.
Ranch rice, a curiously delicious dish made with white rice, cream cheese, ranch dressing and corn flake crunch topping.

K

Kimchee

Ooh, kolaches! My grandmother used to make them. I've tried to duplicate, but who can duplicate grandma's recipes?

TOnight was spaghetti with meat sauce, with hot sausage. I don't know why, but my spaghetti is like pizza. I can eat way more than I should.

Pickled pigs feet...hell, pickled anything.. gimme. I think I have a gene that specifies for pickled food. Note my profile name.... hahaa

Saliha

I finally cleaned my freezer and "found" a lot of food from there. Today pork chops, green beans (from last August) with wild mushroom sauce (from September), wild nettle rolls (from last May) and for dessert strawberry donuts (from June).

:readytoeat:

Embryodad

Thank you Jimmy. I am looking for some nice smoked pork chops also. Fairway has them sometimes.

peeps.... this place is the ultimate. For us, it's Well worth a nice Saturday or Sunday ride. It's just a few minutes past Allentown, PA on 78, and it's easy off easy on.
We go there and come out with like bags of meats and liverwurst and 4 or 5 lbs of their smoked bacon, and the prices are really a good price. I love their dried and smoked chipped beef. We usually come home with 3 bags, and only like 48 bucks. They have a new web site.

http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/Store.html

Johnny West

I think Hormell smoked pork chops are fine in a pinch
but when I grill use hickory and alder for extra smoke.
Last night I grilled Amana smoked pork chops in the rain
and they are excellent. You can get them on line.

Johnny West

peeps.... this place is the ultimate. For us, it's Well worth a nice Saturday or Sunday ride. It's just a few minutes past Allentown, PA on 78, and it's easy off easy on.
We go there and come out with like bags of meats and liverwurst and 4 or 5 lbs of their smoked bacon, and the prices are really a good price. I love their dried and smoked chipped beef. We usually come home with 3 bags, and only like 48 bucks. They have a new web site.

http://www.dietrichsmeats.com/Store.html

I wish I'd of known about this when I was in Allentown 2 summers ago. I'd of brought some chipped beef home with me. With all the little butcher shops here no one has chipped beef I've seen.

My aunt and uncle live in the area and back in the 60's and 70's they'd send me summer sausage made in Easton. I know it went out of business a long time ago. There is a place I can get summer sausage but it's a bit of a drive.

Embryodad

I wish I'd of known about this when I was in Allentown 2 summers ago. I'd of brought some chipped beef home with me. With all the little butcher shops here no one has chipped beef I've seen.

My aunt and uncle live in the area and back in the 60's and 70's they'd send me summer sausage made in Easton. I know it went out of business a long time ago. There is a place I can get summer sausage but it's a bit of a drive.
It's funny, but when I was in the Navy Seabees, I could never get enough creamed chipped beef, and I loved powdered eggs. So much, that even on my day's off, I would throw on a uniform, and go to the mess hall to get Mid Rats, ( Served at night breakfast ) and for 23 cents, I would chow down, and sometimes, get back in line, and pay another 23 cents for seconds. Then change into civies, and go off base to have a good time. Drinking and having fun. That all stopped when that fun and food finally caught up with me.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Busy day at work.
Six of us on the west side decided on Chinese, so that's what we all had.
Ting put it all in a box, and Jennifer went over to pick it up.
I got beef and broccoli with white rice, and an egg roll.