Pickled Red Beet Eggs

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Does anyone here have a recipe for making these eggs?

969304_204916696299269_2056960665_n.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sure do and easy to do and it can be sized down easily also. I love the things and keep them in the fridge almost year around.

Pickled Eggs

36 hard boiled eggs, peeled
3 Tbsp kosher salt
4 1/2 Cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 Cups water
4 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp peppercorns, crushed
4 Red Habanero peppers ( stems removed and halved)
1 can chipotle Jalapeno peppers with liquid
12 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp crushed allspice
1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
3/4 tsp. celery seeds
1 lrg. red onion, thinly sliced

Combine the ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for about 10-15 minutes. Layer the eggs with the mixture into a CLEAN 1 gallon glass jar, put the lid on and place in the refrigerator. It will take about a week for the eggs to absorb the flavorings. They will keep, if refrigerated, for several weeks.

Makes: 1 gallon, depending on the size of the eggs.

phreak

I do kind of a cross between Joe's and Qsis's. If it's cool enough out I'll smoke the eggs a little prior to pickling..that takes them to a whole new level of deliciousness.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ooooooooh! Phreak, yes, that would be a whole new level.

Would you mind sharing what smoke wood and about how long?

Thank you

Andy

phreak

Any kind of wood will do, but I tend to stick with the lighter tasting woods...I've been hooked on Pecan lately. You really don't want to smoke them too long, it will dry out the outside and create almost a skin that makes it harder for the pickling to occur. I guess you could puncture the eggs with a fork or something to help get the juice deeper though. I might have to try that! I will often smoke a few hot peppers and the onion that I'm using so it adds even more smokey flavor to the pickling juice.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ohhh that sounds good.

First outing for the smoker last weeke:nd. I have to try this.

Thank you.